Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineantarchy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing?
    #9532314 - 01/02/09 02:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I see the contam problems. But aside from that would it work. And moreover would it be a way to keep a particularly well producing casing alive? Just smokin a bowl and thinkin. Thought it would be an easy way of skipping the whole spore thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: antarchy]
    #9532335 - 01/02/09 02:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Contamination could be a problem, tho I don't think it'd be a huge issue honestly. It will work otherwise tho, pretty much anything that has living mycilium on it will grow, you just need to worry about contams.

Quote:

antarchy said:
And moreover would it be a way to keep a particularly well producing casing alive?

What do you mean? Your casing will be the same old casing it was before, it'd just have a piece of it missing now.

If you mean can you keep colonizing new jars using that mycilium, then yes, there should be no issue with that. It will still be random, as that casing is MS. You'll have to isolate a strain w/agar if you want to get certain traits for sure, I guess it could increase your chances, but I dunno how likely that is to happen. Not very is my guess.

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: antarchy]
    #9532338 - 01/02/09 02:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You can use any mycelium or mushroom to make an LC or colonize more spawn but contam would probably get you

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #9532348 - 01/02/09 02:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
You can use any mycelium or mushroom to make an LC or colonize more spawn but contam would probably get you

Could you theoretically just pick a mushroom and drop it in a substrate jar? I've read that the mushrooms are no different from mycilium and that mycilium will grow out of a mushroom all the same.

Offlineantarchy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9532361 - 01/02/09 02:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That's interesting. if the mushroom thing would work would that isolate a strain. I thought that you took from living mushroom tissue to isolate a strain. I don't know anything about it though read something a few years ago.

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
    #9532398 - 01/02/09 02:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry, I was typing faster then thinking. The mycelium can just be dropped into a jar or LC but with a mushroom you take an inner tissue sample and grow it out on a agar plate, then you can take the mycelium from that and put it into a LC or jar, you can also just put the tissue right into an LC but I prefer to put it in agar first.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #9532401 - 01/02/09 02:33 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

But other than the (high) risk of contamination there should be no reason you can't just pick a mushie and drop it strait in right?

Offlineantarchy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: krypto2000]
    #9532414 - 01/02/09 02:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That's all you do to isolate a strain drop a piece of mushroom on agar?

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #9532416 - 01/02/09 02:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

if the mushroom thing would work would that isolate a strain. I thought that you took from living mushroom tissue to isolate a strain.

Quote:

That's all you do to isolate a strain drop a piece of mushroom on agar?

No. That would be a clone, not an isolate.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlineantarchy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9532435 - 01/02/09 02:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So whats the difference and how do you isolate a strain? I would like to learn more about that.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#9532468 - 01/02/09 02:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I think a clone can have different strains in it, an isolate would just be a single strain. To isolate a strain, and I haven't done it so I'm just going on what I remember being told, but I think you let the mycilium grow on the agar and you can see the different strains because they'll appear in separate... strands or something like that. You just keep picking them out and letting them grow on fresh agar until you've isolated the one you want. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: krypto2000]
    #9533053 - 01/02/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
I think a clone can have different strains in it, an isolate would just be a single strain. To isolate a strain, and I haven't done it so I'm just going on what I remember being told, but I think you let the mycilium grow on the agar and you can see the different strains because they'll appear in separate... strands or something like that. You just keep picking them out and letting them grow on fresh agar until you've isolated the one you want. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you are correct....the correct term for the "separate strands" is "sectoring."  You keep doing transfers until there is no more sectoring.  Then you know you have an isolate.  The difference between a clone and an isolate is that a clone can contain more than one sub-strain, so it may not necessarily be an isolate.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Would it be possible to innoc. rye using a bit of the top of a casing? [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9533410 - 01/02/09 06:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Your idea won't work.  You can't take a piece of non-sterile mycelium from a casing layer and drop it into a jar of sterile rye.  It would be green within days.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds