Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepostalboy
I'm not myfucking khaki's!
Loc: My tiny corner of the pad...
Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy
    #953159 - 10/28/02 07:50 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ok this series is all about total mindfuckery.  It was written byt Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson.  I have never seen anybody mention this on here while mentioning RAW.  I have read the first book and I just started on the second.  It is about the Illuminati (obviously) but it is such a perfect blend of conspiracy, fact, paranoia, drugs, consciousness altering, sex and more conspiracy.  I have been totally and forever altered by this book.  I seriously recommend this book to any who like to think while reading. 

I also think it would be a great discussion book but it may be too difficult to discuss rationally.    The book is just written so chaotically that any attempt to rationalize it would fail.  But if any one is interested I am ready to attempt it.  :smile: 

--------------------
"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." F and L in L.V.

Edited by OracleOfDelphi (10/12/02 11:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
Re: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: postalboy]
    #953684 - 10/11/02 10:05 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

just orderd it a few days ago, can't wait

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

Anonymous

Re: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: postalboy]
    #953824 - 10/11/02 10:55 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

This is an excellent book., worthy of a Discussion.

We should set a Date to begin Reading - and Confer weekly to see how we are being 'affected' if at all - It would me a nice experiment
I am refering to the First Book Illuminatus Trilogy -
Anyone in?
Lets Begin Say Oct 31st? Let me know.
-OoD

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Re: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: Anonymous]
    #954685 - 10/12/02 07:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

sounds good to me, i should have the book in days

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Anonymous

Re: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: Mojo_Risin]
    #954860 - 10/12/02 11:12 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Im delighted.
If anyone knows Discordia , I hope she will join us.
-OoD

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: postalboy]
    #955076 - 10/12/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

even when published as 3 seperate volumes, the publisher felt that it was too damned long... so shea & wilson had to do some serious cutting... (and much of the trimmed prose ended up in a few other wilson novels...)
shea & wilson were the editors in chicago during the 60s for hefner's mag, in the "dear playboy" letters columns...
dr wilson recieved a letter from a "fan in which the reader insisted that since wilson knew so much about the conspiracy, that he must be "the head of the illuminati" !!! RAW replied that he was not the head, but at most "just the big toe" :wink: ...
(i somwetimes loan out my copies of the 3 paperbacks, but the cheesy red-covered combined volume is signed by wilson & shea, so i think that one better stay in my personal library :wink: ...)
~
hail eris
all hail discordia
~
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinepostalboy
    #955393 - 10/12/02 03:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent.  I didn't know if this would even be considered let alone already planned out and started since I wrote that last night. 

"you like me.  You really, really like me."

:smile:  Ok seriously that would be a good date to start.  I will start reading something else and then reread it when we start the discussion officially, if thats ok.   

--------------------

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
    #955641 - 10/12/02 06:42 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I am in.

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #958392 - 10/13/02 10:31 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

So am I, I tried to pick this up today, but the copy that borders had was mising :frown: probably stolen. If you need somone to help lead the discussion, im willing to volunteer my time :smile:

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #959748 - 10/14/02 01:04 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I like the furry atlantis people. And the hashish smoking elite.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the "missing eight appendices"?

--------------------

Offlinepostalboy
Re: Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: Remy]
    #959765 - 10/14/02 01:10 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have never been in a discussion here before.  I would appreciate any help/feedback on it.    Since I brought it up do I have to direct it or what?  Or is that the job of a moderator?  Help.        :confused: 

--------------------

Anonymous

#960375 - 10/14/02 05:14 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hi Postal Boy, and Assorted Nuts.

Heres the Scoop -

The Discussion of  The Illuminatus! Trilogy   by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson 1975  - will take part in a series of Posts in a Single Thread, albeit not this one.

The Time to Start the Book is November 1st - tentatively - If Someone wants to Join in, but needs time to get a copy, PM me, and we'll wait a few days longer.

As for Leading the Discussion, That is 'my job' - in so far as I will create the Initial Thread - Direct Members to the Specific Materials to be Read. Everything else is up to Us as a Group to dictate if this will be the first and last Book Discussion at LA & FAF. I will speak more about this in a nother Thread.

How to go about reading at the same pace is a tough one. I am normally a quick reader, but as the New Job comes into focus, I am unsure of my free time- Also, I  am unfamilair with the Groups Style and Schedule, I anticiapite the first few Meetings to be rocky - I encourage You to voice suggestions  on how we should go about timing this so we are all together for Discusion.
As it stands , I can only go by how I was trained in School ,where a Specific Amount of Reading was Suggested, and in a week ( or predetermind time) We resume the Discussion - This way we are all on the same page, pardon the pun.

- Lastly, if it is your pleasure to read more or less, so be it - But I am insisting that we keep the discussion focused to get the most out of so many POV's at once. Therefore:
All Posts should be Relevant to the Chapters assigned the Previous Session. (jingles Mod Keys  :grin: )

I will look through the Book for a few days, and gather  blocks of Text to 'Schedule' for Discussion Material.
If I'm feeling frisky, I may even post a Summary of what pages we are going to read in advance.

Anyone with any helpful suggestions please speak up - This is my first time Leading an Online Group.

A word on the Book - I own the classic PB version that Includes :
The Eye in the Pyramid
The Golden Apple
Leviathan
I dont have the Missing Books or any 'Special" text - My copy was aquired from a guy on the street for 5 bucks - I take it there are more Complete versions out there, but hopefully this Book has not been pared down too badly as to not be able to follow succintly.
-OoD     

Anonymous

Re: Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #960379 - 10/14/02 05:16 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I am in.
Goodie. Grab a chaise, and help yourself to the merlot or assorted libation on the teak cabinet over yonder.
-OoD

Offlinepostalboy
Re: Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: Anonymous]
    #960617 - 10/14/02 06:32 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Good  me no likey responsabilty. 

I have the 3 books you mentioned in one giant novel also.  There are no additional sections or tidbits to my knowledge. 
  After skimming the previously read parts of the book I can see one major problem we will have.  The book is written with no chapters.  And one story will run for 3 paragraphs to be replaced by a diff story for 1 para to be replaced by a 3rd story for 5 para  to go back to the 1st story for 4 para.  You all grok that?  If we read to page X then we can discuss stories 1,3-5, and 7.  Stories 2, 6 and 8 haven't been finished by page X.  On page X+7 then story 8 if finished but we have started stories 9 and 10.  And also story number one is now changed.  :smile: 
:confused:  Wow after that I apologize in advance for this.  LOL  But I really am interested in getting more opinions and POV's for this book.  I'm sure we can muddle through it somehow.   
  Did I mention that OoD rules.  :smile:   

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: postalboy] * 1
    #961137 - 10/14/02 09:23 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

a good prereq for the discussion would be to read the principia discordia, there are copies available online.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Anonymous

Re: Discussion: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #961325 - 10/14/02 10:14 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have a smattering familairity of Discordian Principals, and Erisian Philisophy. I had no problem reading Illuminatus once before - However, I would be very interested in brushing up - Can you suggest a concise, yet accurate web page that has this volume and or realted material.? Thanks. :laugh:
-OoD

Offlinepsilo25
The one stuck inthe middle ofthis hopelessmess.

Loc: over here
    #983290 - 10/22/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I am definitely in on this one.  I've haven't been much a part of discussions here at the Shroomery, and ever since I read Cosmic Trigger I've been looking forward to reading more Robert Anton Wilson.  The Illuminatus Trilogy has been at the top of my list, and this will give me the perfect excuse to finally buy this book.  I'll ordering right now from Amazon, so I should have it in time.  :wink: 

--------------------
Stand up for your freedoms, join the fight against the War on Drugs!

www.drcnet.org
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
www.drugsense.org

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Re: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: psilo25]
    #983454 - 10/22/02 03:07 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Turns out i ordered "Cosmic Trigger" instead of "The Illuminatus Trilogy":(. Still a good read though. I'm gonna try and get the book some how and join in on the fun reading.

--------------------

Offlinediscordianism
St. Yossarian
    #983613 - 10/22/02 03:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Count me in. I've tried to read the Illuminatus Trilogy on two seperate occaisions, and just end up getting too busy with other things. Hopefully, I can stick with it this time. I've read several other Wilson books, including Prometheus Rising, Coincidance and Quantum Psychology. They're all excellent reads, although coincidance is a little confusing to say the least. If you couldnt tell by the name, I love eris.  :smile: I've bought and lost two copies of the principia discordia.  :mad: well, hope i can contribute some. later,

St. Yossarian 

--------------------
--Commonsense is what tells you the Earth is flat.

Anonymous

Re: The Illuminatus Trilogy [Re: discordianism]
    #984659 - 10/22/02 08:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome aboard.
There something deliciously ironic about losing a book on chaos.

Ok Folks, dont ferget - Nov 1st we will begin - I will layout a List of the Chapters we will be reading - So look out for it in the days to come.
-OoD

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale