Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinextofury
Stranger
 User Gallery

SC Tek (spent cake)
    #9522110 - 12/31/08 03:14 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ok well I might be a nub but something really seems to make sense with this notion.

Unless if theres some mechanism that prevents myc from cannibalizing its own dead cells, theres no reason why it shouldnt work.

First you take your spent cake.
Crumble it to bits.
Soak it in water and strain.
Take your brf and verm mix, and put 1 part to 4 into the crumble mixture, mixing in this order:
verm, little water, brf, cake crumble.

Easy huh?  Mix the verm, water and brf in regular 2:1:1 ratio.  Then take 1 part of that to 4 parts of soaked spent cake.

Ok now put verm on the bottom of the jar, mixture in the middle and verm on the top of the jar.

Slap the lids on rubber seal up, with the four hole and tape over the holes.  Tin foil over top.  Put in PC.....
15 minutes first day in pc.
15 minutes second day in pc.
45 minutes third day in pc.

Simple so far eh?

Follow regular inoculation procedures and spawn it.

the 1 problem I can think of is that perhaps fruiting uses different nutes than myc development, and a gradual deficiency could be produced over time (sorta like how it works with soil) and thus would need a supplement mixed in during the process.

So any thoughts on this?  Cuz I think it has potential.  Seems as though it would work with some effort and experimentation.  New growth would be easy to spot at that ratio, but I think if it is functional with a higher concentration of spent cake, it would be harder to spot myc development.  Perhaps putting dye in the soak water could resolve this?  Or perhaps new growth would cannibalize this dead myc nutrient and retain the dye due to inability to metastasize it?

Whaddya guys think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: xtofury]
    #9522130 - 12/31/08 03:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

you should see my spent coffee tek. I make new coffee from mixing 80% spent grounds with 20% fresh coffee grounds.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinextofury
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9522151 - 12/31/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

lmao that works?  Probably not as strong as the original but I'm sure it saves a hell of alot of money on coffee grinds.
Not a bad idea.  Maybe just use the spent grinds at 100%, then supplement the volume with 20% more fresh grinds, and you get the same strength?  My concern is over time the coffee would gradually taste more and more dilute.

but yeah I would also like to clarify something here:  The cake is not for innoculating the substrate, it is for food for the new colony.  inoculate with a fresh syringe, and let them cannibalize the old, sterile colony.  Someone figured that after the PC the cake was being used which is just dumb.

Additionally, because myc has some defense to other things, perhaps this would be a perfect food because of residual defensive enzymes produced by the myc?  Like as in providing extra contamination resistance.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9522166 - 12/31/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

He actually gave quite an intelligent answer to a :failboat: tek. He just forgot the irony tags.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9522168 - 12/31/08 03:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I was making a jab at your method not being serious. Spent cakes are just that... spent. The nutrients are depleated severly. If you re-use them they will be short on nutrients.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinextofury
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9522183 - 12/31/08 04:04 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ok here's what I'm thinking with regards to this:
Release of co2 gas by the fungus would suggest it is depleating carbon content which is slowly seeping out of the jar and wandering away in the atmosphere.  So some supplementation with carbon might be a smart idea.  Since there's already plenty of verm in there, perhaps don't add any and just use brf coated spent cake crumblings.

Still you guys are awfully quick to label things as "stupid" or "dumb" without even experimenting or just barely discussing them.  hmmm any thoughts from a "mycologist" out there?

What would be wrong with this line of thinking when any deficiencies can be addressed through some ironed out knowledge of nute requirements of myc vs. fruit and a little experimentation?

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
    #9522205 - 12/31/08 04:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

What do you think the CARBO in CARBOHYDRATE stands for???

Just a thought.

Offlinextofury
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: Synesthetic]
    #9522298 - 12/31/08 05:56 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

could be?  Cuz if that's what's missing, then what is there to say that going to gnc and buying a container of carb powder wouldn't do the trick?

Thanks for the input that's an interesting thought.  And it would make sense too since rice is high in carbs and starch, which the starch is interchangeable into carbs though I've heard that starch isn't such a good idea.  Though I haven't done enough research on starches considering I've noticed potatoe flakes suggested and tested in agar styled teks.

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #9522304 - 12/31/08 06:00 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Man you don't have ONE successful grow under your belt and you keep spouting off these ridiculous teks.

Reading is one thing, and kudos for doing some research, but putting theory into practice is a completely different thing.

You've already shown the propensity to completely ignore trusted cultivators advice...why would anyone want to input on any of your ideas?

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9522319 - 12/31/08 06:09 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I very much doubt mycelium could eat cooked mycelial tissue.

Also there is more than just hydrocarbons at play in a substrate. There are other nuitrients and things in a substrate. If you want a more balanced diet, you can hydrate your substrate with weak drinking coffee and also add gypsem (which provides calcium and sulfur, which is important in fruit body development). Take it one step further and spawn your cakes to a bulk sub consisting of several different foods that mushroom fungi like, coffee grounds, coir, pooo etc

c02 is produced as mycelium eats its food. It breaths in o2 and out c02. hydrocardons are not seeping out of the food.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineMentonaut
Stranger

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9522578 - 12/31/08 08:07 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think logically it's very apparent this *shouldn't* work. But hey man, stranger things have happened. Give it a try and report back.

Offlinemadz
Dick Senormous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: Mentonaut]
    #9522617 - 12/31/08 08:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Why cant a new colony eat the old dead one?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: madz]
    #9522697 - 12/31/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

What you are suggesting amounts to eating poop from the sewer yourself, rather than fresh food.

Spent cakes are spent.  Make new ones.  The mycelium has already eaten the food within.  This has actually been tried many times before.  Growers who have had contaminated jars have re-sterilized and inoculated them. . .with 100% failure.  Brown rice and vermiculite are cheap.  Make new cakes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineChoking victim
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9522754 - 12/31/08 09:25 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

HEAR HEAR!!

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: Choking victim]
    #9523099 - 12/31/08 10:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Great dimension to it RR I shoulda said I had a spent burger tek instead of coffee, he wouldn't have misunderstood that.

I may add that most spent substrate can be reused to grow oyster mushrooms(according to Stamets). However it's generally considered idiotic to re-use substrate from the same strain even in small amounts because of the depleted nutrients in it. I bet you'd be spending more on some idiotic scheme to replenish cake nutrients than just making a new cake.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
    #9523118 - 12/31/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

-

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

Edited by grod31 (12/31/08 10:57 AM)

Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
    #9523124 - 12/31/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ummmm i used spent pasteurized cubensis  myc/straw and grew oysters out of it. in fact i remember a whole page about what species you can feed to what other species.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

Edited by grod31 (12/31/08 11:14 AM)

OfflineChunk6915
Stranger

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) *DELETED* [Re: grod31]
    #9523297 - 12/31/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Chunk6915

Reason for deletion: Deleting all posts

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: Chunk6915]
    #9523330 - 12/31/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I would think it to work with spent cakes too.  (the cranberry tek that is)  I don't think actives are degraded just because the nutrients are.  This is a better use for spent cakes than the op suggested.  Sorry. :shrug:  Nice try though.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: SC Tek (spent cake) [Re: libertaire]
    #9523714 - 12/31/08 01:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the cakes would have to be post fruiting because psilocin/cybin is only produced in the fruiting stage. As far as I've heard on that tek anyway. Though Grod if you do find that page you oughta post it here cause that sounds interesting.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds