Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerupertbeaner
Chris Hansen with Dateline MSNBC
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Something better than jars?
    #9472111 - 12/21/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Jars are too expensive and too much of a hassle to use. I was thinking about using Mycobags \ Grow Bags, but I need to know if I can sterilize them in my PC, if I use my own WBS substrate.
I tried using oven bags, but they broke when I PC'ed them.:tongue:

What are my options for a cheap home-made bulk substrate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: rupertbeaner]
    #9472121 - 12/21/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Growbags are great and if you don't impulse seal them, just tie them up or similar you can use them more than once.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
    #9472123 - 12/21/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Straw and old poo if you want to go hunt for it in the forest somewhere.

If you're buying pre-made mycobags, you should know they're pretty spendy (at least for what they are)

Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: Synesthetic]
    #9472141 - 12/21/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

this question makes no seance if you want something cheaper to pasteurize in then get a pillow case if your looking for something cheaper to pressure cook grain in then get any PP plastic container or bag.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: grod31]
    #9472149 - 12/21/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Could you not use big ziplock freezer bags, slap a dot of silicone on it for an injection port and cut out a small square and bond a piece of tyvek or microspore tape for GE?

Would it hold up in the PC?  I'm looking for another option other than jars.  There's gotta be something cheaper, more easily available, and less bulky than jars.

If anyone out there has played around with home made mycobags let me know!

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9472174 - 12/21/08 11:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ziploc bags will melt in the PC. I put a couple syringes in ziplock, then wrapped that up in tinfoil.  The bags got destroyed. 

I don't know if this will help you any, but you can check out this.  It's not really suitable for bulk unless you want to do like 50 pf cakes and spawn that to bulk.  It is cheap, easy and quick though.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Something better than jars? [Re: Spongiform]
    #9472185 - 12/21/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Growbags can definitely be PC'ed.  You can get them on www.themadseason.com in various quantities for something like 50 cents each.  How are jars too expensive tho?  They have plastic gladware jars at the supermarket that are like $3 for 8 in different sizes.  What kind of substrate do you plan on using anways?

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9472189 - 12/21/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

wow that's waay too much work.  After a quick search I realized that I could just buy a pack of autoclave bags and put filters on them but the price savings just isn't that significant. I really don't wanna sit down and knock up 50 different tupperware containers.  I'd like less work, not more.  I'm probably gonna end up buying some mycobags.

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9472198 - 12/21/08 11:17 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I had a friend order filled grow bags from the mad season before, I was impressed with the quality of the bags.  I may just order a couple 100 packs and be good to go for the foreseeable future :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9472220 - 12/21/08 11:22 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you get the empty TMS bags, I'd definitely make some LC tho.  Reason being, his empty bags are alot bigger than his premade ones, and hold 5 lbs of substrate.  And if you knocked a 3-5lb bag w/ multispore, you'd be waiting a long time for full colonization IMO.

That's the reason he went w/ the 1 lb. bags.  Just because they colonize quick, and are fruiting in like 5-6 wks.  Plus the fact that whatever is in the bags - shrooms definitely love it.  I appear to be on pace for like 25g dry per bag on average, which is pretty nice, considering they have the amount of substrate as 2 half-pint jars.  No way is anyone pulling 25g dry on average from 2 PF-cakes.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9472237 - 12/21/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Uh is it just me or are jars really cheap? I pick up a dozen qt jars for 9 bucks or widemouths for 12. Pints cost the same with half the space, so they're a bit bulkier if you're using those.

Seriously though, something as sturdy and reusable as a jar for about a dollar each is gonna be tough to beat IMO.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: Shroominit]
    #9472269 - 12/21/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jars are too expensive and too much of a hassle to use.

Not quite.  Jars are under $1 each and can be used hundreds of times.  Empty autoclavable bags are around 50 cents each, and only good for one use.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9472271 - 12/21/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I like the idea of big 5 pound bags because I can keep enough spawn colonizing to feed a couple big monotubs continuously. 

I already have 5 master LC jars of various strains that are colonizing right now.  Once they're mature I'm gonna make a couple big quart sized jars and use it to innoc some grow bags.

I'm assuming rye + gypsum would be a good substrate for bags?

--------------------

Offlinerupertbeaner
Chris Hansen with Dateline MSNBC
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #9472289 - 12/21/08 11:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Jars are a hassle because I have a small PC and can only sterilize a few jars at a time. I want to try my luck and buy some bags from TMS, fill them with WBS and PC em. :shrug:

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9472330 - 12/21/08 11:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

EDIT: You should have started the thread with that, just get a bigger PC, I have heard of people getting 7qt PC's from kmart for ~$20 A really large one is gonna be $100 but if you want to grow a lot at once, that is really the way to go anyway IMO.

Quote:

PsychOfMSE said:
I like the idea of big 5 pound bags because I can keep enough spawn colonizing to feed a couple big monotubs continuously.
...Once they're mature I'm gonna make a couple big quart sized jars...

You ever weight 4 full quart jars? I bet you it's well within the 5lb range you're looking for. If you bought a set of 12, you can have 4 at 50% colonized, 4 fully colonized, 4 just inoculated, as soon as you spawn one set, start the cycle over. So for ~$12 you can have a full cycle.

And what is a big quart jar? Is it different then every other quart jar?

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #9472342 - 12/21/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Upgrade to a larger PC and bargain hunt - I got my 22 QT Mirromatic off eBay for $70. I can PC 10 quart jars at a time with it.

I'm not a big fan of using bags because they can get clogged in your pressure port and that's bad news.

Jars are also about $12 for a dozen here and I bought a bag of 100 filter discs for $60 a little while ago - pretty much hassle free jars with filtered gas exchange at about $1.50 a jar.

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

Re: Something better than jars? [Re: Brennus]
    #9472396 - 12/21/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

lol, this is a funny thread.  So the problem is you have a small PC..You simply will not be able to fit a significantly greater ammount of substrate in it if you already cannot fit many jars. 

My advice is do what a friend of mine did.  He went to a local classified ads website that a guy named craig lists things for you.  Anyways, he made a request for a Pressure cooker in there for his soups and stews, and got many emails of all differant sized pressure cookers, none more than 20 bucks.  He ended up getting like a 15 quart for 20 bucks and it works great

--------------------

Invisibleflorida lurker
dude
Male

Loc: florida
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: mudkip]
    #9472570 - 12/21/08 12:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i'm stickin' with jars

:yoda2:

--------------------
˚çriyt•¶5vΩΩ∑πûg§¢e§ªºπø˚m\®∂

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Something better than jars? [Re: mudkip]
    #9472624 - 12/21/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mudkip said:
He went to a local classified ads website that a guy named craig lists things for you.

Was this a little joke?  :lol:
Craigslist is huge and national, and ppl list their own things on there, sorta like ebay, except you gotta personally set everything up yourself, usually meeting in person.  There's also LOTS of shady shit going on on the site, like prostitutes blatantly advertising, and drug-dealers selling product in code words.  There's actually a really funny section too, called "missed encounters" or something - and you click on your city, and you'll see posts like this: "To the girl on the D-line train today dressed in the red shirt and tight jeans - we briefly made eye-contact I had the leather jacket on, and I thought you were gorgeous - please message me", hahaha.  :lol:

If you knew this already, sorry - but it was just funny the way you described the site.  :grin:

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Something better than jars? [Re: J3illy]
    #9472725 - 12/21/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Billy (Jelly lol) The way he described it makes the reader have to think in order to complete a task. If you spoon feed people info, they tend not to learn it. Also, by describing it as a 'thing your friend used' removes you from being liable for information. Especially when the person may use the information for something less-than-legal.

Just my outlook.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder