Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomindaze
Stranger
using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants?
    #9472074 - 12/21/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So, Ive been experimenting with grain-to-grain lately and have had 0 contamination as a result.  However, my fruiting area still has issues with green mold (guessing coming from the air ducts) even though ive cleaned it top to bottom a couple times.

Ive seen come trich (although a darker, paler green color than what ive seen in the past) on some my tubs.  Ive spotted the growth just as sporulation has started and been able to remove the growth surrounding the area.  Ive had to dig some spots out a big, because there was clearly different growth in the patch (different colored strands running through the manure directly below where the mold was)

However, these spots have been isolated to the size ranging between a quarter and hall-dollar.  Ive had extra master grain-spawn sitting in jars as a result of using g2g (all the same genetics), and have attempted covering the spot with some of this extra grain.

This, at the least, will provide cover to the affected and somewhat bare spot to prevent further spores from settling there and possibly reproducing.  In addition, I have noticed no further outbreak as the mycelium connects with that in the tub (again, same genetics so there is no issue of competition).

So, for any more experienced growers...have you ever tried healing a slightly contaminated casing using fresh grain-spawn of the same genetic colony?  Has this proven successful, or was the contaminant able to keep its foothold?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: shroomindaze]
    #9472086 - 12/21/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Weak, new mycelium will not over run a contaminated area.  You'd be better off covering the spot with salt paste if you're just trying to get through the flush.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomindaze
Stranger
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9472092 - 12/21/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Is this a for-certain thing?

I'm using mycelium from a jar that is 4-6 weeks old.  In 5 days time, the little grains have turned into the fluffy balls that occur when the mycelium spreads and are visibly connecting.  I'ts becoming uniform with the original mycelial body.

Is this just luck, then?

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9472171 - 12/21/08 11:10 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Whatever happens, even if you don't see green, you're still gonna have the trich mycelium living in there I believe.  You're brave keeping it around, because you could really be polluting your grow area w/ the trich spores, even if you don't see any noticeable green.  Alot of the TC's here say trying to actually overrun trich is a lost cause.  If the tray was fruiting and got trich, you could isolate it an a spot far from your main grow area, and try to get a flush out of it - but if you're not even fruiting yet, I don't think it's worth the risk of keeping. 

I had a sealed Mycobag get trich, and I immediately brought it into a room on a different floor.  Since I had it isolated, I wanted to see if myc. could overrun it, so I mixed it up and just put it away, and then looked at it a week later.  Whatever myc. was in there looked so weak and shitty so I just tossed it.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: J3illy]
    #9472186 - 12/21/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

One of my tubs got contaminated, I dumped it all into a trash bag, tied it up and set it on the garage.  This spring I'll dump it along with any spent or contamed subs into a little shady garden plot and see what happens.  Best case, they grow.  Worst case, it's good fertilizer.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlineshroomindaze
Stranger
    #9505774 - 12/28/08 04:34 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well, one of the three containers covered with fresh spawn failed.  So far, after almost two weeks, the other two are healthy.

I'll chalk this one up to luck and keep trying it as contaminants come along

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9505926 - 12/28/08 05:34 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you are getting green around the time of the first flush ore before, the chances are it is your spawn that is contaminated.

Trich mycelium is also white, you will only see it once it starts turning green.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: Nibin]
    #9506073 - 12/28/08 06:38 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Never cut out contamination which will just spread the spores. Salt paste as mentioned will prevent the spores spreading and help get 1 flush.

Make sure that your bulk subs are correctly pasturised (not sterilised). Othjer than that, contaminated spawn sounds like the culprit

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9506128 - 12/28/08 06:59 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Adding extra spawn or bulk substrate to a contaminated cake or tray is like trying to get rid of a bum who camped himself up in your basement by giving him a lot of food and beer.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9506409 - 12/28/08 09:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

In addition, I'd speculate the one that 'recovered' was bruising, since you said it's small spots and a different shade of green.  New growers often mistake bruising on the surface for contamination.

Molds, being conidial species do not have to form fruit bodies to reproduce, thus they have a very short and aggressive life cycle.  Mushroom mycelium with its longer cycle won't have a chance in artificial, semi-sterile cultivation if competing with molds.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9506807 - 12/28/08 11:15 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I had a spot of trich pop up in a monotub.  I took a big spoon and carefully removed the patch and anything around it in 1 scoop then disposed of it.

I then put about 1 teaspoon of lime in the general area around it, then sprinkled about half a tablespoon of lime over the whole tub, then cased it with 50/50+

I moved it to another part of the house to isolate and I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.  The spot of trich was about the size of a dime. I removed about 2 inches in every direction in one big scoop.

If it comes back, I'm gonna bag it and save for the garden in the spring.

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: Spongiform]
    #9507176 - 12/28/08 12:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I had a spot of trich pop up in a monotub.  I took a big spoon and carefully removed the patch

:failboat:
Congrats, you just spread the trich spores all over your substrate.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: dead]
    #9507481 - 12/28/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

There's already spores all over my substrate, I live in a musty old house in the woods with no sort of air filtration yet.

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: Spongiform]
    #9507749 - 12/28/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

One thing never to do if you have trich in a substrate is to try to dig it out... it almost always results in failure. What you can do is pour salt on the trich (and about 1 inch around it), spray some water on the salt and wait until you harvest the next flush, then dump the sub.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: using fresh spawn to overgrow contaminants? [Re: dead]
    #9507832 - 12/28/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I believe you, but I still wanted to try.  What I'm hoping is the extra lime kicks it to the curb.  Worst case, it doesn't and I dump the tub out and start over.  :-D

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds