Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMik
Desert Fox

Rapid decay?
    #9466675 - 12/20/08 11:54 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Im on my first grow. Everything seems to be doing great, but I just checked the jars today and something seemed odd that I dont think Ive seen mentioned in threads and teks.

First, let me mention that I know mushrooms job is to decay matter. I expected a little shrinking from the cakes.

But this just seems too much. This jar is colonized all the way around except for the colonized part in the picture and a tiny spot on bottom. And all around the colonized part, it has pulled itself away from the jar roughly as far all the way around the cake as it is in the picture.

Is this normal? Is this begging to be birthed? Did I mess up somewhere? It just seems like most people have to knock their jar softly to birth it. At his rate all I'll have to do is turn it up side down and it will tumble out.

-Edit- To alkylbenzene23. Aye Aye, Captain.

Edited by Mik (12/20/08 02:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSlappy McCrackin
Dawg
Male User Gallery

Re: Rapid decay? [Re: Mik]
    #9467213 - 12/20/08 01:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

not uncommon at all. I've seen cakes shrink alot in jars. I've had almost 2 inches of "empty" space in an upside down 1/2 pint jar.
You don't want to birth until the entire jar is covered in myc.

Edit: Just noticed you still have tape covering holes on top of jar.
You might want to remove this tape to allow for better gas exchange if you have a dry verm barrier in your jars.

Edited by Slappy McCrackin (12/20/08 01:56 PM)

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

#9467232 - 12/20/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It's micropore tape. I thought you were supposed to use that for air exchange, but then again I totally spaced the reason for the dry verm on top. I'll get them off of there.

Edit: Also, thank you for easing my worries.

Edited by Mik (12/20/08 01:58 PM)

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

#9467335 - 12/20/08 02:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Dude, fuxing host your images here.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Dawg
Male User Gallery

Re: Rapid decay? [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #9467368 - 12/20/08 02:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

the micropore tape is put on to help maintain water content inside jars while pc'ing. it should be removed after inoculation of jars.
No harm done on this grow.

OfflineMichael O G
Independent Thinker
Male

Re: Rapid decay? [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #9467415 - 12/20/08 02:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The Jar looks fine to me.  Micropore tape is fine for gas exchange.  It looks like you may have two layers of tape overlapping your hole.  I would make sure that there is only one layer of tape over the hole.  The tape has tiny pores that let the gas through.  When you overlap the tape, some of the holes are covered reducing the gas exchange. 

Growth looks good tho!  Just be patient.

--------------------
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

Re: Rapid decay? [Re: Slappy McCrackin]
    #9467435 - 12/20/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It was just one layer of tape, but I took them off anyway. Again, forgot that dry verm was my filter. I figured I'd do well with the waiting game because I usually am, but when I grow stuff I get all excited.

I get giddy over Chia-pets.
Again, thank you. I always dig information.

Dawg
Male User Gallery

#9467446 - 12/20/08 02:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you didn't hurt anything by leaving it on. i used to leave it on not too long ago.
Once myc really starts growing good and strong, you're actually better off without it.
No big deal, to each their own.
Good luck by the way, Mik

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

#9467475 - 12/20/08 02:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well I liked the idea of taking the tape off anyway for additional air exchange for several reasons. First, I made my jars before I got my spores, so I wasnt too sure how big to make the inoculation holes. In fact, on all four jars I made the holes too small, so I popped the lid off to inoculate them. All four are doing great too. Tell me to be clean, I can be clean. Anyway, Im rambling about the first point.
First, The holes are smaller then they should be. Second, Methinks I put too much water when making substrate, and Third, all jars are having alot of condensation. I doubt alittle more air would hurt them.

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

#9467546 - 12/20/08 03:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, also. I do have another question since the original question of 'Are my jars okay?' has been answered, and someone else might float through the thread. And methinks its okay to jack my own thread.

I know its something that I don't need to worry for awhile until I get a few grows under my belt. Buuuuut...

I see alot about 'cloning' and 'isolating' and I've been trying to look into it but I cant seem to find a decent informational 'tek' or 'thread' or.. anything about it. For instance what it is, why its useful, and how to do it. Does someone have a link they can point me to so I can learn my brains?

Also, I was looking around for syringes to perpetuate my new hobby, but all I could find (locally) were 22G 1 inch needles. Would those work fine past the issue of 'the needle being too short'?

Dawg
Male User Gallery

#9467561 - 12/20/08 03:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

#9467671 - 12/20/08 03:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You are a king among men. I'd rate you, but I dont have my fifty posts yet, so I must thank you here.

Thank you, Slappy.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9467688 - 12/20/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5874305#5874305

Cloning is useful because you get a substrain or substrains that are surely able to fruit. With multispore you always get loads of substrains and some of them are incapable of fruiting. Also you can select a fruit you like and clone it, and you get lots of fruits similar to the one you cloned.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

#9467727 - 12/20/08 03:29 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well. I suppose that raises another question, Dead. I see 'multispore' thrown around alot. And, I shit you not, I think I just figured this out half way through typing that, but I'll continue.

What exactly does 'multispore' mean? Before I just think I figured it out, I thought that meant you got a syringe form 'x'source.. but it had alota different strains in it... but... Multispore means you make a spore print, and make a syringe out of that, then what spores you get and what factors they have are up in the wind.. okay.. now I see the benefits of cloning and isolation.

The main question I have though is, I see alot of people talking about 'isolating/cloning' potent mushrooms, in order to be able to regrow a batch with the same potentcy... How exactly do you know a mushroom is potent without eating it?

Dawg
Male User Gallery

#9467817 - 12/20/08 03:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you can't. now you're getting into growing on agar for strain isolation. that's a whole new level.

OfflineMik
Desert Fox

#9467845 - 12/20/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I know this is all too early for a newbie like me, but I like reading the advanced stuff while I'm waiting for the basic stuff to grow. I'm just a knowledge buff. No one plays trivial pursuit with me anymore cuz everyone knows if I get bored I read the cards. I'd kill for a good set of encyclopedias.

That said, could I bother you for a link? I find the fungi subject in general extremely interesting. Even more so if I get something out of it, like cubes to.. um.. put on my compost pile.. yeah..

Dawg
Male User Gallery

#9467978 - 12/20/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: Rapid decay? [Re: Slappy McCrackin]
    #9467999 - 12/20/08 04:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

My one jar took so long to colonize one time, i swear it was like a forth of its beginning size.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Rapid decay? [Re: Lennyk]
    #9468602 - 12/20/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well. Multispore means that you inoculate with "multiple spores". Each cc in a spore syringe holds thousands if not millions of spores. Each two spores that mate into a dikaryon create another substrain, some of these substrains join together by anastomosis, but some are incompatible, and so you will end up with multiple substrains side by side in the same substrate. Each substrain will have different genetics, regarding potency, shape, size, productivity... and some will not fruit at all.

The alternatives for multispore are cloning and isolating.

When you clone, you only get the substrains that make up that particular fruit. They will all be fruiting strains.

When you isolate, you only get one of these substrains, and there will be no genetic variation, so if you pick a great substrain you'll have great results... assuming you do everything else well enough.

There's no way to know if the strain you isolate or the fruit you clone will be potent, so you need to clone several fruits or isolate several cultures, and then grow one jar of each culture. Then sample the results and keep the best culture for future grows.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder