Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRocker232
Stranger

Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing?
    #9459058 - 12/18/08 10:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm going to go for my first time to a real place. I did it in school, but it was a lousy rock wall. I hope I like it, but I know its going to kick my ass. It'd be cool to be good enough to climb a real rockwall though :bonghit2:

--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: Rocker232]
    #9459068 - 12/18/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

When I was in Boy Scouts I went to a few walls and climbed some faces.
That's back when I could do that kinda shit. No way in hell I could do it now.

--------------------
!

Invisiblemagikgrl
~Inevitable~
Female User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: jewunit]
    #9459084 - 12/18/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i always wanted to

--------------------

"In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal...go figure."

Becoming human was not part of the plan...

I wish I could be as high as my tolerance-danlennon

Reality is a crutch for those that can't cope with drugs.

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #9459109 - 12/18/08 10:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

There is a place here on campus that I have gone to a couple times. I've done it extensively in my past while in Boy Scouts as well.

OfflineHelixx
Mood:Fragglerocked
Male User Gallery

#9459141 - 12/18/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I haven't gone in a couple months, but I used to all go all the time.  If you're talking about the ones that try to recreate it, and actually make it hard then it's called bouldering.  When you get in there, you should buy some chalk if they sell it, and rent some rock climbing shoes.  Both of those help out quite a bit.

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: Helixx]
    #9459159 - 12/18/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah man, bouldering is exactly what I'm talking about, thanks for the tip. I really could use a hobby and this sounds like a good one!

--------------------

Offlinejenns_hot
Hungry
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast Flag
    #9459170 - 12/18/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i took a climbing class in school this last semester, and it was alot of fun.  i wish i had friends who were into it too.... maybe i'll round some people up one weekend and go again.

--------------------
"Fear makes the wolf look bigger"

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: jenns_hot]
    #9459215 - 12/18/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've been on competitive climbing teams before (I'm 20) and know an absolute TON about the sport. I actually have a competition tomorrow near Baltimore. It should be fucking kickass.

Bouldering is by far my favorite form of climbing, although I am usually better at sport climbing. I climb a 5.11-5.12 and can boulder around the V6 level.

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: Grizvok]
    #9459231 - 12/18/08 10:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Man that's awesome. I need to understanding belaying better than I do now and I need to get better at the agility and "risk-taking". I already am quite strong so I'll have one thing on my side hopefully!

Good luck at the competition man.

--------------------

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

#9459327 - 12/18/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, bouldering is a lot about agility and A LOT about power. Although, make sure you cross-train a lot. Don't just boulder, boulder, and boulder make sure you are top-roping to help increase your endurance more.

The most important thing I want to say is in the beginning take it SLOW. Tendon damage is ridiculously common with climbers. You will want to climb all out and go crazy but try to restrain yourself. Tendons become stronger MUCH MUCH slower than muscles because of the smaller blood supply in tendons and the imbalances often cause the injuries. Also, if the climbing gym has a weight room there are some exercises you should do to help protect your tendons. Reverse wrist curls are incredibly helpful as are push-ups and do some bench press as well to strengthen the triceps.

Finally for some sick climbing movies look up the Dosage series. Dosage V (five) is really fucking insane.

Offlinestimpson
a superhero buddha
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny
    #9459393 - 12/18/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeh dude...  if you want like, NICE ARMS, get into bouldering.

--------------------
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... ... ...

ok.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #9459406 - 12/18/08 11:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've done the bulk of my climbing in caves

Offlinestimpson
a superhero buddha
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny
Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9459487 - 12/18/08 11:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ummmmmmmmmm...  urumass?

--------------------
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... ... ...

ok.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: stimpson]
    #9459506 - 12/18/08 11:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

try that in english instead of coaster

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9462919 - 12/19/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Man I just got back from climbing, INTENSE! I had a pretty fun time doing it, and the ride there was ridiculous. I did all right, could have done better had my friend not insisted we chill first :vaped:

Its a good workout and a cool atmosphere, I'll definitely be going back and learning how to get good!

--------------------

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

#9464960 - 12/19/08 11:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rocker232 said:
Man I just got back from climbing, INTENSE! I had a pretty fun time doing it, and the ride there was ridiculous. I did all right, could have done better had my friend not insisted we chill first :vaped:

Its a good workout and a cool atmosphere, I'll definitely be going back and learning how to get good!

Just got back from the competition about 30 minutes ago, I climbed so fucking well today. I got this V6 I had been working on as well as four V5's. I was already VERY skinny at 6'2'' and 180 lbs about two months ago but now I'm down to 167 or 168 with tons of extra muscle. Having less body weight to pull up the wall (along with more strength) makes moves that were once impossible feel soooooo incredibly easy. Hoping to get my body fat down to 4-5% in the next few months by running 5 times a week.

This sport is ridiculously addicting, and you just begin to crave days when you climb as well as I did today.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

#9465756 - 12/20/08 05:46 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Grizvok said:
Yea, bouldering is a lot about agility and A LOT about power. Although, make sure you cross-train a lot. Don't just boulder, boulder, and boulder make sure you are top-roping to help increase your endurance more.

The most important thing I want to say is in the beginning take it SLOW. Tendon damage is ridiculously common with climbers. You will want to climb all out and go crazy but try to restrain yourself. Tendons become stronger MUCH MUCH slower than muscles because of the smaller blood supply in tendons and the imbalances often cause the injuries. Also, if the climbing gym has a weight room there are some exercises you should do to help protect your tendons. Reverse wrist curls are incredibly helpful as are push-ups and do some bench press as well to strengthen the triceps.

Finally for some sick climbing movies look up the Dosage series. Dosage V (five) is really fucking insane.

I'd have to say 50% of bouldering is the balance. I do sport climbing and a bit of trad, and when I started bouldering the funky body positions it forces you to bend into made my regular climbing so much better.

Bouldering teaches you the balance that you don't use in the lower levels of vertical climbing. But when you suddenly have to traverse for 20 yards at a good height you really appreciate the skills it teaches you.

For the OP: If you like the sport really try and get some outdoor experiece as soon as possible. Climbing indoors makes you acquire bad habits which are really hard to get rid of.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone you guys do indoor rock climbing? [Re: Nibin]
    #9466652 - 12/20/08 11:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Quote:

Grizvok said:

I'd have to say 50% of bouldering is the balance. I do sport climbing and a bit of trad, and when I started bouldering the funky body positions it forces you to bend into made my regular climbing so much better.

Bouldering teaches you the balance that you don't use in the lower levels of vertical climbing. But when you suddenly have to traverse for 20 yards at a good height you really appreciate the skills it teaches you.

For the OP: If you like the sport really try and get some outdoor experiece as soon as possible. Climbing indoors makes you acquire bad habits which are really hard to get rid of.

Balance is definitely an important factor in bouldering, and yes I definitely get into funky positions all the time especially since I'm 6'2". Being taller is both an advantage and a disadvantage in a lot of cases.

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #9466679 - 12/20/08 11:55 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I used to go all the time when I lived in the dorms cause we have a pretty good wall here on campus and it's right by the dorms...I haven't been back since then, though.

Climbing outside is a LOT more fun than on a wall.  Climbing an actual rock where you have to find the handholds, instead of them being a neon colored plastic brick, is a lot more challenging, entertaining, and rewarding.

I'd probably be sore as hell if I went back now...

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds