Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
The real connection between al-Qaida and Iraq.
    #944892 - 10/09/02 07:15 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

President Bush opened his Monday night Speech on Iraq with two stories. "Eleven years ago, as a condition for ending the Persian Gulf War, the Iraqi regime was required to destroy its weapons of mass destruction, to cease all development of such weapons, and to stop all support for terrorist groups," he began. "The Iraqi regime has violated all of those obligations." Then Bush turned to a second story: "On Sept. 11, 2001, America felt its vulnerability, even to threats that gather on the other side of the earth."

Throughout his speech, Bush tried to weave the two stories together. He argued that Iraq was entangled with al-Qaida and that Sept. 11 revealed new dangers in Iraq that required military action. He tried to show, as he has for months, that war in Iraq would be part of the war on terror. Instead, he confirmed the opposite. If Bush had evidence linking the two wars, this was his last plausible chance to divulge it. He didn't. It's clear that the two stories are objectively unrelated. The link between them is subjective: The events of Sept. 11 lowered our standards for using force.

The first story goes halfway toward justifying an assault on Iraq. It provides a clear justification for military action against Saddam Hussein. "Every chemical and biological weapon that Iraq has or makes is a direct violation of the truce that ended the Persian Gulf War in 1991," Bush observed. He noted the many U.N. resolutions Saddam has breached since the war. The problem with this story is that it doesn't justify unilateral action by the United States. It justifies action by the Persian Gulf war coalition or by the United Nations.

That's why Bush turned to the second story. It provides a clear justification for American action. But the justification applies only to those who attacked us on Sept. 11. Bush tried to link Iraq to al-Qaida, but his attempts fell flat. He said that they both hate the United States, that some al-Qaida leaders have fled to Iraq, and that Iraqis have taught some members of al-Qaida how to build dangerous weapons. These things are true, but they aren't unique to Iraq. Bush also pointed out that Iraq harbors terrorists, but he ignored other regimes that are more guilty of this offense.

Why They Can't Find the Washington Sniper

The Real Connection Between Al-Qaida and Iraq

Does the U.S. Start Wars?

Bush said Iraq and al-Qaida "have had high-level contacts," but he didn't specify what they were or how long ago they took place. He said Iraq could unleash "a chemical or biological attack" against us by using "one terrorist or Iraqi intelligence operative to deliver it." The first delivery option makes the second gratuitous: If Saddam wants to send us anthrax or smallpox, he doesn't need Osama Bin Laden to do it. And on the question of Iraq's links to Sept. 11, the only evidence Bush produced was that "Saddam Hussein's regime gleefully celebrated the terrorist attacks on America." Not exactly a felony.

From the word games Bush plays, you can see how hard he's straining to connect the two stories. "Terror cells and outlaw regimes building weapons of mass destruction are different faces of the same evil," he declared, as though this metaphor clarified rather than confused the issue. Later, Bush spoke gravely of Saddam's "numerous meetings with Iraqi nuclear scientists, a group he calls his 'nuclear mujahideen'?his nuclear holy warriors." This was an obvious attempt to make Saddam sound like a Muslim zealot when in fact he's a secular Arab nationalist.

So, what's the connection between Saddam and Sept. 11? The answer isn't in Baghdad. It's in our heads. Sept. 11 lowered our standards for throwing our weight around. No more Mr. Patient Guy. If you look like you might hit us, we're going to hit you first. In Bush's words: "Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun, that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud."

This lowering of standards takes many forms. Uncertainty becomes a reason to attack rather than forbear. "Many people have asked how close Saddam Hussein is to developing a nuclear weapon," said Bush. "We don't know exactly, and that is the problem." Second, nonviolence is no longer the default option. It must be shown to pose less risk than violence poses. Waiting "is the riskiest of all options, because the longer we wait, the stronger and bolder Saddam Hussein will become," Bush argued. Third, our tolerance for risk drops precipitously, as does our willingness to give the benefit of the doubt. "I am not willing to stake one American life on trusting Saddam Hussein," said Bush. Fourth, the mere threat of attack by the enemy becomes a basis for striking him first. As Bush put it, "We refuse to live in fear."

That's the connection between Sept. 11 and Iraq. One enemy whacked us, and Bush decided not to take any more chances with the other. He should tell it like it is and stop pretending they're the same

By William Saletan

I couldn't have said it better....

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (10/09/02 07:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepostalboy
I'm not myfucking khaki's!
Loc: My tiny corner of the pad...
Re: The real connection between al-Qaida and Iraq. [Re: Rono]
    #953320 - 10/11/02 07:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Has everybody forgotten that we gave the afghani's weapons and training to fight Russia (then USSR)? So, if the Taliban are afghanis, then we are responsible for 9-11, not Iraq. Just wondering...

Everybody has seen those drug commercials;
"if you buy drugs, you may be funding terrorism."

My version that I actually filmed and am trying to edit.

"if you paid taxes to your government, then you may be funding terrorism."

--------------------
"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." F and L in L.V.

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
    #953899 - 10/11/02 11:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I almost can't even care anymore.

A senseless war is inevitable.

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: The real connection between al-Qaida and Iraq. [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #954621 - 10/12/02 05:51 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

>>>>> I almost can't even care anymore. <<<<<

Me too... Ive come to the point where I just wish we would start the bombing already.

I think it will be good for America to have a war where we are the aggressors, we suffer massive casualties and we are drawn to the point of using nuclear weapons of mass destruction.

It will be a sobering reminder that we are not invincible and maybe it will change our foreign political structure forever...

Hopefully..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: The real connection between al-Qaida and Iraq. [Re: GabbaDj]
    #955224 - 10/12/02 02:35 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Worst case senario, we all die and are reborn. Or we simply all die. No memories, no regrets, no loss.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Offlineuno
enthusiast

Re: The real connection between al-Qaida and Iraq. [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #965448 - 10/16/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, all the propaganda, all the social conditioning, all the political smoke screens have apparently won.

--------------------
- uno

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #972560 - 10/18/02 02:48 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Bush failed in finding Osama, so he's going after a target that is blatantly easy to hit.  In addition, it is obviously extremely profitable for the entire cabinet.  instead of buying oil from canada, they could take over the area and exploit it, selling the oil for the same price.  All the while, throwing a testy, out of balance area into more dissaray and chaos.  how disgusting. 

Why must we be represented by such greedy thoughtless agressive ignorant fuckheads?

What a great article.  I'm ashamed of the majority of American press.  I have to look internationally to read about how hipocritical and evil our government is.  Or, i just come to the shroomery!! :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: The real connection between al-Qaida and Iraq. [Re: postalboy]
    #972612 - 10/18/02 03:12 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

****"if you paid taxes to your government, then you may be funding terrorism."****

I like it...

just don't make them as irratating as them retarded THE TRUTH ads.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#972792 - 10/18/02 04:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I like that article. Brings up some good points.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies