Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAlCapwn
ID Reset, take that subpoena

Loc: Canada
Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer.
    #9438614 - 12/15/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Because proving me wrong by asking me a question isn't proof, it's just piling up another possibility on the mounds of already infinite possibilities. Sure it makes someone think to ask him a question, but by doing so you're relying on your opponent to disprove himself which he will not do. Please, don't be so rhetorical trigger happy.

--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: AlCapwn]
    #9438636 - 12/15/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Let it be.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9438652 - 12/15/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Let what be?

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: Lion]
    #9438669 - 12/15/08 05:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You're only allowed to respond to this thread with answers.

OfflineBernackums
The universe will have its way.
Male User Gallery

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: AlCapwn]
    #9438677 - 12/15/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You're in the wrong forum if you want answers, Philosophy doesn't have any answers for you. Only more questions.

--------------------
Let's get the fuck out of here.

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: Bernackums]
    #9438698 - 12/15/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

He didn't specify that the answers had to be correct, consistent with reality, or coherent.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9438703 - 12/15/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

it stars saddam said:
You're only allowed to respond to this thread with answers.

I am?  Oh, I mean, I am.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9438786 - 12/15/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AlCapwn said:
Because proving me wrong by asking me a question isn't proof, it's just piling up another possibility on the mounds of already infinite possibilities. Sure it makes someone think to ask him a question, but by doing so you're relying on your opponent to disprove himself which he will not do. Please, don't be so rhetorical trigger happy.

No.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #9438837 - 12/15/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AlCapwn said:

"In the beginning there was the Word and the Word was...Ummmm.."

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #9438915 - 12/15/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

He didn't specify that the answers had to be correct, consistent with reality, or coherent.

You have just described half of all posts here and 95% of the M&P posts.  :congrats:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #9439029 - 12/15/08 06:51 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Who said these people questioning you were trying to prove you wrong?

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9439195 - 12/15/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Booby said:
"In the beginning there was the Word and the Word was...Ummmm.."

I like it.

I do see his point though, maybe. Maybe i'm just dogmatised by how philosophy is done at university, but it does peeve me when someone answers with a question without providing any of their own insight.
Whats worse is disagreement through rhetorics without following up with any of their own ideas. Sure its important to expose bad logic and such (particularly with IF statements and theoretically speaking statements), but its much more of a contribution to show reasoning, and a concise rebuttal, otherwise discussions tend to get highly derailed on semantics and other stuff that does not pertain to the initial statement(s).

Sure proof can be allusive,
However, somehow, it seems a waste of discussion, or is the asker a little to shy to put their own perspective on the block? Maybe they might even agree with parts of the OP, yet, out of habit, or being a smart aleck, or whatever, they show little of their own construction.

The most common annoying format i can think of in phil at uni was

Statement: "(imagine) IF 'blah-blah' would you 'derp de derr' or 'tweedle dee derp de dum'?"

Reply: How do you know 'blah-blah' to be correct?

The IF statement assumes that 'blah-blah' is true (without proof) but thats not the point, the point is what would you do if somehow we knew it to be true, not whether it was true or not. A contructive reply, IMO, would be to analyse "derp de derr" and "tweedle dee derp de dum" and maybe provide and alternative "derp de tweedle dee dum."

the reply would be more relevant if the statement was "blah-blah is true, i know this because [personal experience/logical statement..etc]

This is not to say that there are not good questions to ask to gain more insight into what the OP is saying or what rebuttal is available.
Though i suppose i've always been led to believe through uni that sitting on the fence will likely get you no more than a C grade, thus i like reading replies with bold statements.

Uggh maybe i sound like a deducing falsificationist, that is not my intention though. There are other ways to disprove/prove things of course, yet individual questions seem less capable of doing this IMO. Wow, i realise i'm being very subjective, but meh, someone disagree wholly with what i've just said please. A potential discussion about 'philosophical method' has got me interested.
Thats just my two cents.

edit: i'll rephrase that... "there are other ways to support or deny things of course."

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Edited by flangenips (12/15/08 07:20 PM)

OfflineAlCapwn
ID Reset, take that subpoena

Loc: Canada
Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: flangenips]
    #9439350 - 12/15/08 07:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I'm not university trained, but I'm smart enough to see this as counterproductive when I post something and just get a flood of open ended question replies. Although, I like this thread because people are being constructive.

--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#9439379 - 12/15/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Were you responsible for the St. Valentine's Day Massacre? :minigun:

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9439485 - 12/15/08 07:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Answers are gratifying but I don't know if they're always a good thing.  For two reasons: 

First, if we accept a wrong answer (and they're everywhere!), we establish an erroneous belief and move further from the truth.

The second reason is much worse IMO: arriving at an 'answer' has one conceptualize a little bit of reality as if this newly-settled-upon opinion constitutes an actual understanding of that aspect of reality and one need not look at it as closely thereafter.  All that is really generated is a belief, which may or may not be useful.  Really smart folks know that they still don't know.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9439537 - 12/15/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

First, if we accept a wrong answer (and they're everywhere!), we establish an erroneous belief and move further from the truth.

If people would only use more than 10% of their brains this would not happen. :nono:

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9439654 - 12/15/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I got mine partitioned

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Don't prove me wrong with a question, prove me wrong with an answer. [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9439690 - 12/15/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Good idea. Be sure to defrag first.

--------------------

InvisibleJawofmalak
Friendly Stranger

#9443529 - 12/16/08 12:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Socrates almost exclusively answered questions with more questions. This method of argumentation is called Reductio ad absurdum. You make people question what they've stated until it becomes ridiculous.

--------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder