Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
rez effect?
    #9432981 - 12/14/08 09:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, so I've been looking for a new project and I wanna give the 'rez effect' a shot.  Basically here is my plan that I have come up with from reading...

Bottom layer about 1/2in of coco coir bulk (that I have leftover from the monotub I made today...it's coir/verm/coffee) then cover with colonized WBS and field capacity verm at a 2:1 ratio. Then cover the top with a 1/2in layer of coco coir bulk. Will this work? Is this how the rez is supposed to be done?

Is it important that the verm be sterilized? I've read yes and no, but I guess I'll at least pasteurize to be safe. What do yall suggest?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblendnxtc
Trippin' balls

Re: rez effect? [Re: Magic_Hobo]
    #9433207 - 12/14/08 09:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magic_Hobo said:
Ok, so I've been looking for a new project and I wanna give the 'rez effect' a shot.  Basically here is my plan that I have come up with from reading...

Bottom layer about 1/2in of coco coir bulk (that I have leftover from the monotub I made today...it's coir/verm/coffee) then cover with colonized WBS and field capacity verm at a 2:1 ratio. Then cover the top with a 1/2in layer of coco coir bulk. Will this work? Is this how the rez is supposed to be done?

Is it important that the verm be sterilized? I've read yes and no, but I guess I'll at least pasteurize to be safe. What do yall suggest?

Verm is sterile out of the bag, no contam problems here with a GT casing that is fruiting now. Verm was used straight out of the bag, moistened to field capacity with distilled water and am seeing good results.

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
Re: rez effect? [Re: ndnxtc]
    #9433345 - 12/14/08 10:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

nothing is sterile as is, unless youre getting medical equipment.  you have a PC, use it.  it take 30minutes, or you could just lose everything to cobweb.

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: rez effect? [Re: Omnicracker]
    #9435125 - 12/15/08 05:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't just open the bag of vermiculite, it's been sitting around for at least three months since I took my first crack at the PF tek.  Otherwise, I'd go straight out of the bag.

But I though verm did not harbor contams on its own for some reason. Guess I was wrong.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9435139 - 12/15/08 05:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It doesn't harbor contams because it has no nutrients whatsoever. But if the bags been sitting in your place in the open for a while then ANY airborne contams will have found their way in, they just can't germinate on the verm. That doesn't mean that they won't once the verm is used on your cakes or trays.
That said, if my trays are fully colonized I don't worry too much.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: rez effect? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9435150 - 12/15/08 05:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

thats a cool older tek..never tried it with coir though..im sure it will work.. pasturize all ingredients....

Edited by Tomandjerry58 (12/15/08 05:57 AM)

Offlinecharliebrown
the stranger within

Re: rez effect? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #9435163 - 12/15/08 06:02 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

wow. you learn so much here. I can't wait to start!!!

--------------------
an old hippy in search of the ultimate trip
[gradient:#D9113D,#]grandauger says[/gradient]:"did grampa fart again?"

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: rez effect? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9435326 - 12/15/08 07:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
It doesn't harbor contams because it has no nutrients whatsoever. But if the bags been sitting in your place in the open for a while then ANY airborne contams will have found their way in, they just can't germinate on the verm. That doesn't mean that they won't once the verm is used on your cakes or trays.
That said, if my trays are fully colonized I don't worry too much.

If your bag has been opened for a bit id definatly give it a bake in the oven to be sure. In the time its been open, lots of spores will have landed on it.

Some people actually have problems with contamination in the dry verm layer in pf tek grows because of this too, usually baking the verm can help since dry spores can survive steam and PC sterilisation temps.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: rez effect? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9435346 - 12/15/08 08:00 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Can I bake it dry at like 300F for 30 minutes and then add disilled water and be good?

Or should I wet it to field capacity and then put in jars and PC just to be safe?

Invisiblespock
journeyman
    #9435621 - 12/15/08 09:25 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i would not do the layers of coir and mix it all together.
casing grain alone does not produce as much as using a mixture of grain and verm. grain dries rather quickly so by the time you are ready to fruit there is not enough water in the substrate to get optimal results(remember mushrooms are mostly water and that water must come from somewhere). while there is no nutrients in verm, it 
does a good job of holding water and that is the main reason it is often used for casing your substrate. mixing verm into your grain to be used as substrate provides water throughout.
coir has some nutrients and holds water. mixing it in with your verm and grain will once colonized give you more substrate with the water the myc needs to fruit and nutrients to help feed it.
since coir has nutrients it is quicker to contam and mixing it in rather than layering will colonize the coir faster witch reduces the time contams have to set in.
more substrate with more nutrients and better water content = more shrooms.

good luck.
-spock

Invisiblendnxtc
Trippin' balls

Re: rez effect? [Re: Omnicracker]
    #9435920 - 12/15/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Omnicracker said:
nothing is sterile as is, unless youre getting medical equipment.  you have a PC, use it.  it take 30minutes, or you could just lose everything to cobweb.

Hoffman's vermiculite that was used in current GT rez grow says "It is completely sterilized" word for word on the back of the bag.

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: rez effect? [Re: spock]
    #9435930 - 12/15/08 10:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I think ya missed what I was saying spock, the verm will be mixed with grains. The top layer of bulk is just to keep all my grains covered and prevent the loss of moisture.

I've mixed plenty of coir with wbs, haha. I just wanna try the rez tek to get fruits quicker so I can trip at christmas, and I like trying new teks.

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9437539 - 12/15/08 03:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I'm gonna PC the verm in 2 quart jars for 45 minutes at 15PSI.

Is it a problem that the coco coir bulk that will make up the top and the bottom is two days old? It's in a closed bucket with a micropore hole. I only opened it to make that monotub two days ago.

Edited by Magic_Hobo (12/15/08 03:44 PM)

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9438932 - 12/15/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So anyone got any input about if the old coir bulk is still okay to use? I just don't wanna mess up my rez effect experiment by using old coir.  But it's the last coir I have and I don't really wanna go buy more...

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #9438969 - 12/15/08 06:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I would say ok... but your contamination rate gets higher as you let it set... it has around 12 to 14 days (normally) to colonize ... knock it up quick!!!

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #9438996 - 12/15/08 06:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

rez affect i remember....  was 1/2 inch verm on bottom mixed 1:1 verm with spawn ..1/4 inch on top... then put it in the fruiting chamber

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9439671 - 12/15/08 08:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I guess that's what it's supposed to be. But I figured that a layer of bulk on top and on the bottom would do the same thing, more or less.

I figure a half inch of bulk will colonize easily within 5 days. So, that means I'm okay using that old bulk?

Also, I've read its a 2:1 ratio of spawn to verm. Is that wrong?

Edited by Magic_Hobo (12/15/08 08:26 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds