Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Shower stall fruiting chamber help
    #9425482 - 12/13/08 05:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So Ive got an old shower stall that I have scrubbed down very well and lined with tarp and also enclosed the same way.  Ive blocked up the drain and sealed it off so that no contaminants can get through that way. 

Im debating on the best way to turn it into a fruiting chamber tho.  Should I use it as a sterile room to house multiple self-contained tubs, or should I humidify the whole chamber and use a shelving system to hold casing trays like a martha style greenhouse?

-edit-

I'm using the popcorn tek in pint mason jars and just knocked up 48 of them last night with B+ Karo LC.  I'm a long time reader, intermediate grower, first time poster.

I'm wanting to do a continuous rotation with a harvest every 3-4 weeks or so so a versatile, large, and easy to use fruiting chamber is a must.

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

Edited by PsychOfMSE (12/13/08 05:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflameclown
totality is amust
 User Gallery

Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help *DELETED* [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9425557 - 12/13/08 05:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by flameclown

Reason for deletion: [this post is damn old]

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: flameclown]
    #9425565 - 12/13/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It doesn't get used any more and I thoroughly scrubbed it with comet and bleach and have lysol bombed it multiple times before putting anything inside it.  It's more than likely the most sterile place in my house, unfortunately.

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9425588 - 12/13/08 05:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

By the way, I'm using jars with silicone injection ports and polyfil filters and innoculating in a glove box after PCing the jars for about an hour and a half at 15 psi.  I'm doing my best to promote sterile environments in the house and with the smooth, non pourous walls of the shower completely enclosed in tarp I can't think of a more sterile place to fruit.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9425915 - 12/13/08 06:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

with the smooth, non pourous walls of the shower completely enclosed in tarp I can't think of a more sterile place to fruit.

I can. 

I'll bet a dollar if you ripped the shower stall out, it's covered in black mold behind it all around the faucets and drain.  Every shower and/or bathtub I've ever replaced over the years that was more than five or so years old has been totally infested with black, green, brown, etc., mold. You can't keep all those mold spores out by wrapping with a tarp or anything else. 

Air exchange is the number one pinning trigger, so as soon as you start circulating air in the FC, all that mold is going to become airborne and go straight to your projects. Find another grow area.  Your toilet is probably cleaner.  Seriously.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9426190 - 12/13/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh, didn't even think of that.  I feel really dumb now.

I guess I'm going to have to go to walmart and pick up a mini greenhouse and mod it up.  Since I already have it ready to go, do you think using the shower stall that's cleaned out and sealed off as an incubation chamber would be a good idea?  There won't be much air movement inside and I planned on using tubs inside to further prevent contams. 

Thanks for the advice!

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
    #9426406 - 12/13/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

with the smooth, non pourous walls of the shower completely enclosed in tarp I can't think of a more sterile place to fruit.

I can. 

I'll bet a dollar if you ripped the shower stall out, it's covered in black mold behind it all around the faucets and drain.  Every shower and/or bathtub I've ever replaced over the years that was more than five or so years old has been totally infested with black, green, brown, etc., mold. You can't keep all those mold spores out by wrapping with a tarp or anything else. 

Air exchange is the number one pinning trigger, so as soon as you start circulating air in the FC, all that mold is going to become airborne and go straight to your projects. Find another grow area.  Your toilet is probably cleaner.  Seriously.
RR

I thought 100% colonization was the greatest pinning trigger????  Also, by no means does your fruiting chamber need to be sterile. Just try to keep it clean.   

A past post from RR

"I don't cover the holes with anything. Air exchange is the key to preventing contaminants in a fruiting chamber, not filtering.

You folks will laugh your butts off if I post a picture of where my terrariums are sitting. Our condo is a 'sick house' with black mold on the walls and studs and joists behind the sheetrock. It's bad for our health, but we can't get rid of it without tearing the building down. We're going to sell it and move out asap.

However, my terrariums are sitting within 18" of a nasty growth of black mold on a wall around the window. I have never had it transfer to the terrariums. People worry entirely too much about 'sterility' in fruiting chambers, when 'air exchange' is what they should be worried about, even if they exchange moldy air with more moldy air.

Be sterile when preparing spawn, and toss sterility out the window when preparing fruiting chambers.
RR "

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

#9426438 - 12/13/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PsychOfMSE said:
Ahh, didn't even think of that.  I feel really dumb now.

I guess I'm going to have to go to walmart and pick up a mini greenhouse and mod it up.  Since I already have it ready to go, do you think using the shower stall that's cleaned out and sealed off as an incubation chamber would be a good idea?  There won't be much air movement inside and I planned on using tubs inside to further prevent contams. 

Thanks for the advice!

Use your shower to take showers in.  A shelf will work fine as a place to colonize jars, so will a rubbermaid.  If you want a self-contained fruiting environment check out mono-tubs, way easier than dialing in a martha type set-up.  I have had a martha for about a month and if it wasn't for some isolates that i will be testing soon, i would have already tore it down.  Don't get me wrong, it works great, but alot more effort than mono-tub or a shotgun fc.  It is also quite conspicuous.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: arp180]
    #9426447 - 12/13/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Care to link me with some mono-tub teks?  All of them that I have read use some sort of manure.  I'd really rather not take the plunge into using manure quite yet :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9426458 - 12/13/08 08:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Oh and the shower doesn't work.  It's a second bathroom and the sump pump is broken.  I figured since no one uses it and won't in the foreseeable future I'd use it as a grow room.

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
    #9426493 - 12/13/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I thought 100% colonization was the greatest pinning trigger????  Also, by no means does your fruiting chamber need to be sterile. Just try to keep it clean.   

A past post from RR

"I don't cover the holes with anything. Air exchange is the key to preventing contaminants in a fruiting chamber, not filtering.

You folks will laugh your butts off if I post a picture of where my terrariums are sitting. Our condo is a 'sick house' with black mold on the walls and studs and joists behind the sheetrock. It's bad for our health, but we can't get rid of it without tearing the building down. We're going to sell it and move out asap.

However, my terrariums are sitting within 18" of a nasty growth of black mold on a wall around the window. I have never had it transfer to the terrariums. People worry entirely too much about 'sterility' in fruiting chambers, when 'air exchange' is what they should be worried about, even if they exchange moldy air with more moldy air.

Be sterile when preparing spawn, and toss sterility out the window when preparing fruiting chambers.
RR "

obviously we have here a true idiot

just because your disgusting drywall mold doesn't transfer to your "terrariums" that others won't?

go back to your PF cakes in your shit hole
sell you computer so maybe you can live like a human being

get your priorities straight..

fuck with the best, die like the rest

--------------------

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: anarchOi]
    #9426521 - 12/13/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Seriously, no need for fighting in here.  I just need some sound advice. 

I'm up in the air on how to fruit these jars I have incubating right now.  I'm up for any suggestions on the most reliable and re-usable fruiting chamber.  Money isn't really an issue (within reason).

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9426556 - 12/13/08 08:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

monotub would be cheap and easy. You don't need to use manure, but can get it prepasteurized and ready to go from some of the sponsors here if that's the issue. Coir or straw also work well. There is no shortage of grows posted using all 3, so search around a bit.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: FooMan]
    #9426567 - 12/13/08 08:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome thank you fooman!  I'll definitely check that out!  Straw would be easy enough to come by.  I'll definitely read up on it!

Thanks!!

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: anarchOi]
    #9426728 - 12/13/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

anarchOi said:
Quote:

A past post from RR

RR "

obviously we have here a true idiot

just because your disgusting drywall mold doesn't transfer to your "terrariums" that others won't?

go back to your PF cakes in your shit hole
sell you computer so maybe you can live like a human being

get your priorities straight..

fuck with the best, die like the rest

I wasn't calling RR out and I am sure he knows that.  Besides there is no reason to be prick.  You act like what i posted was mis information or pure blasphemy.  I wasn't advocating growing by mold is a good thing, but just driving home the point that sterility is not required in an fc.  Which it isn't. Do you disagree that 100% colonization isn't the greatest pinning trigger? If anyone here needs to check themselves it is you.  RR is grown up and I can promise you he is secure in his knowledge of mycology, if he feels I offended him or posted inaccurate information he would let me know. He doesn't need the likes of you to come to his aid and for certain not in the manner that you did.  I could of decided to continue down the path that you started and post a nasty reply, but unlike you I am here to learn something not start petty beefs that don't even involve me.  No hard feelings heh??

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9427489 - 12/13/08 11:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Calm down boys and girls.

Fresh air exchange is the most important pinning trigger in my experience.  However, it only becomes a pinning trigger at full colonization.  Same thing goes for light.  You can expose your colonizing jars to light and they won't pin(normally) until full colonization.  This isn't something to argue about.

Black molds are usually not a contaminant of mushroom substrates in the fruiting stage, although they will ruin your petri dishes and grain/brf jars.  However, green and brown, yellow, red, etc., molds are contaminants during the fruiting stage, and all can be found in shower and bathtub stalls.  I'd suggest finding a cleaner place to grow. 

You don't need an incubator unless you fail to heat your house in winter.  Cubes will colonize very well at normal room temp.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9428895 - 12/14/08 07:29 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

My house stays fairly cool, at least downstairs where I live. 

I'm going to go ahead and set up 3-4 50 gal monotubs with a cool mist providing FAE and RH.  Gonna give Coir a shot as a substrate.

Thanks for your help guys, you saved me tons of time :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#9429030 - 12/14/08 08:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Coir is the way to go as far as I'm concerned and yea,as far as Ive noticed once you get them to fruiting stage they are fairly resistant to contamination,that does not mean I haven't seen casings go bad here and there but for the most part I'm thinking you should be OK if you do intend to try this but I am all for your other idea of just going and grabbing some greenhouses

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shower stall fruiting chamber help [Re: Blutjager]
    #9429483 - 12/14/08 10:19 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm thinking monotubs will be the most efficient way for me to accomplish what I want out of this little project.

About how many pint jars of spawn will I need to colonize a single standard rubbermaid monotub? 

I want to run at least 2 or 3 tubs at the same time, so I'm assuming I'm going to need a fairly large amount of spawn and an even larger amount of substrate.

Thanks again for the advice guys :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck