Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineICdeadPeople
Fungi Fun Guy

Loc: sometimes MARS...
fruit sizes
    #9424197 - 12/13/08 01:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

my 1st flush had longer but very thin fruits, my 2nd flush (the one coming out) has short fat fruits (no more than 2 in).  What causes this?  what do i have to do different?

BTW this WBS cases 50/50 and its the HAW strain

--------------------
I'm ready to go on a GREAT adventure... Sitting here on the couch, eating my favorite snack :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
Re: fruit sizes [Re: ICdeadPeople]
    #9424222 - 12/13/08 01:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you havent done anything wrong.
you cant do anything about.
thats just what happens.
the early flushes are small fruits but large in quantity and the later flushes produce less fruits that are larger in size.

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

OfflineICdeadPeople
Fungi Fun Guy

Loc: sometimes MARS...
Re: fruit sizes [Re: grymmtymm]
    #9424301 - 12/13/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no, i am doing somthinng wrong, BOTH flushes were small fruits, just the first was thin and taller (4 in. the tallest) and my 2nd is short and fat (about 2 in. and the viel is breaking). so both are small flushes.

This is my 1st grow BTW

--------------------
I'm ready to go on a GREAT adventure... Sitting here on the couch, eating my favorite snack :mushroom2:

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
    #9424369 - 12/13/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

pics would be helpful. if this is your first grow how do you know you are doing something wrong?

you got them to fruit didn't you?

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9424371 - 12/13/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Tall very thin fruits = high CO2 levels.
Short fat mature fruits = possible low humidity or substrate moisture, or lack of FAE

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cascadia
Re: fruit sizes [Re: J3illy]
    #9424485 - 12/13/08 02:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Tall very thin fruits = high CO2 levels.
Short fat mature fruits = possible low humidity or substrate moisture, or lack of FAE

Totally.  Which points to the next question:  How is your FC set up?

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
Re: fruit sizes [Re: Cascadian]
    #9424529 - 12/13/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

What substrate did you use when spawning?  If you didn't spawn probably you are just suffering due to wbs not being to great for fruiting alone.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: fruit sizes [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #9425225 - 12/13/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It's probably substrate moisture level overall, but often you have separate (sub)strains fruiting on first and future flushes when starting from multispore inoculation.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblejpack666
 User Gallery

Re: fruit sizes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #20234045 - 07/06/14 08:06 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's probably substrate moisture level overall, but often you have separate (sub)strains fruiting on first and future flushes when starting from multispore inoculation.
RR

Old thread, but if i could ask something about RR's last reply...
In short, knowing that later flushes usually give less fruits but bigger ones, but considering that the inoculation was from Multi-Spore (I would specify super MS because a full print was used), would it make sense to clone those 2nd flush monsters just in case their size has something to do wih the genetics? For every 25 fruits on the 1st flush there is maybe only 1 on the 2nd, so I thought maybe the size had something to do with this but still, those 2nd flush loners are nearly 5x bigger then the biggest one I saw on the first flush so I'm tempted.... To clone that is, not sure if that makes any sense.

--------------------
"There's a negative and a positive to everything."  :mushroom2:

For more information, RogerRabbit's Website/Videos

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruit sizes [Re: jpack666]
    #20234306 - 07/06/14 08:53 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

you can but also you can clone one of the ones from the first flush which may look small and still get big fruits in your firs flush or maybe they come in later flushes because even with mono cultures this will happen where you get lots of smallish fruits then bigger fruits in later flushes

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblejpack666
 User Gallery

Re: fruit sizes [Re: cronicr]
    #20234360 - 07/06/14 09:01 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
you can but also you can clone one of the ones from the first flush which may look small and still get big fruits in your firs flush or maybe they come in later flushes because even with mono cultures this will happen where you get lots of smallish fruits then bigger fruits in later flushes

Oh, didn't know this happened in mono-cultures as well... Good to know

--------------------

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruit sizes [Re: jpack666]
    #20234855 - 07/06/14 10:25 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

yep available moisture plays a big role for them, which makes it hard to gauge things when i clone from pins on agar (which i've been playing with)

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #20235209 - 07/06/14 11:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ICdeadPeople said:
my 1st flush had longer but very thin fruits, my 2nd flush (the one coming out) has short fat fruits (no more than 2 in).  What causes this?  what do i have to do different?

?how thick is your substrate?  what size is the container?

Lipa

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruit sizes [Re: lipa]
    #20235234 - 07/06/14 11:59 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ICdeadPeople said:
my 1st flush had longer but very thin fruits, my 2nd flush (the one coming out) has short fat fruits (no more than 2 in).  What causes this?

In general first flushes usually produce the smallest sized fruits, but a lot of them.

Future flushes will produce bigger fruits, but usually not as many.

It has to do with the moisture content of the substrate, not substrate depth or container size.

Invisiblejpack666
 User Gallery

#20236611 - 07/07/14 10:47 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
Quote:

ICdeadPeople said:

?how thick is your substrate?  what size is the container?

Lipa

Sorry for the confusion, I think OP is not reading this, I just happened to find an RR reply to his old thread in the search engine (about the small possibility that a different strain may be fruiting on the late flush) and wanted to elaborate on the reply. I wondered if it made sens to clone the big ones that come on later flushes but from the replies I got it seems like their size probably isn't related to genetics...

--------------------

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruit sizes [Re: PussyFart]
    #20236756 - 07/07/14 11:34 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Quote:

ICdeadPeople said:
my 1st flush had longer but very thin fruits, my 2nd flush (the one coming out) has short fat fruits (no more than 2 in).  What causes this?

In general first flushes usually produce the smallest sized fruits, but a lot of them.

Future flushes will produce bigger fruits, but usually not as many. [gradient:#2BD945,#]True[/gradient]

It has to do with the moisture content of the substrate, not substrate depth or container size.[gradient:#F51D1D,#]Misleading[/gradient]

The moisture content is directly related to the size of the substrate the mushroom is fruiting on.  Substrate depth has a lot to do with the ability for the substrate to "hold moisture" and support larger fruits. You must have a large fruiting strain to get large fruits but to allow this the substrate needs to be deep enough to provide the moisture it needs. You must think volume wise.  A casing only provides the "microclimate" needed to induce fruiting and can only provide so much moisture to the growth of the fruits. I think a lot of folks underestimate the amount of moisture that these mushrooms are pulling along with food from their substrate. It's a lot.

Lipa

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20236764 - 07/07/14 11:37 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

i think all pussy is saying is with enough tlc even a shallow sub could produce monsters, sub depth is something we take advantage of like using that 3-4 inches in our mono's even though 2 two inch subs would outperform 1 four inch sub we still go for the four out of nuthing more then convenience

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #20236843 - 07/07/14 11:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
i think all pussy is saying is with enough tlc even a shallow sub could produce monsters, sub depth is something we take advantage of like using that 3-4 inches in our mono's even though 2 two inch subs would outperform 1 four inch sub we still go for the four out of nuthing more then convenience

I think most of you focus too much on first flushes and should be focused more on a 4-6 inch substrate depths and not growing in monotubs if you are looking for large fruits and more of them. A 2 inch substrate depth is inferior when you are trying to get the most bang for your buck since that is what you all are talking about here right? Bigger fruits? I assume you want bigger fruits because you want more weight right? You want more weight in mushrooms use a bigger substrate depth and crop 3-4 flushes.

Biggest mushrooms I have ever fruit was when I did a 6 inch deep bed outside with lots of air and 1-2 inches of soil on top. We are talking mushrooms as big around as your wrist. Same mushroom strains that would produce same size fruits you are getting out of monotubs.

Lipa

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20236861 - 07/07/14 12:03 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

if your shooting for big mushrooms then by all means:lol: personelly i'll take a tray of small ones over a few big guys but i'm not picky lol, i do agree we gotta slow the focus off the first couple flushes for alot of new growers but i dont' tend to go past the second flush simply because i got the space to put my subs outside after that

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20236863 - 07/07/14 12:04 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

and i want a pic of that mushroom lol:rules:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds