Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offline402Camaro
Sr. Readsalot

Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon
    #9420801 - 12/12/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I have an appointment next week to see the doctor about some anxiety issues I have. I do not feel that I need to lie about anything because the issues I have are very real and are negatively effecting my life but I'm wondering what to expect.

Do they normally drug test before prescribing anxiety meds? I've been clean for about 6 weeks but I'm still curious.

What kind of questions do they usually ask? Do they ask questions or just ask you to explain? I really don't like to discuss this because tbqh I'm embarrassed about it. I think it would be easier if he asked the questions but I think I could explain.

--------------------
All I ever wanted was to be free and I hold faith that in the end my dream will come true. Untill then here I wait... In America.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmericanPsycho
Abomination of Nature
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandy SR2 Flag
Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: 402Camaro]
    #9420804 - 12/12/08 08:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

just don't walk out of there without a xanax prescription :thumbup:

--------------------

Offline402Camaro
Sr. Readsalot

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: AmericanPsycho]
    #9421889 - 12/12/08 11:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hopefully they give me something good. I just don't want anything that has a long term effect. I'm a fairly smart guy and I don't want anything to hinder my thought process while going to college. Being able to relax and enjoy being out in public sometimes would be really nice though.

Would that be something to tell the Doc or should I just see what he recommends first? I've read about stuff that you have to take every day for like 6 weeks to work and I don't want anything like that because if I notice it has slowed my thought process and I stop using it I figure it would take a while to fully get out of my system. It also scares me because I might not even notice that my thought processes are being impaired if it happens slowly over 6 weeks or so. I just don't know how to tell the Doc that without him thinking I'm trying to get on something specific. I'm thinking it might be better to just take whatever he gives and read about the side effects before taking it.

Oh and anyone know if they usually drug test? I've been clean for 6 weeks but a friend is really wanting me to smoke a J with them. I'm worried that the Doc might drug test me and see THC and think that is the problem. :rolleyes:

--------------------
All I ever wanted was to be free and I hold faith that in the end my dream will come true. Untill then here I wait... In America.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#9421962 - 12/13/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

They won't drug test you for anything unless you are going for like an opiate maintenance treatment. And if you go in there asking for Xanax, the doc is more than likely think of you as a drug seeker. It's a very serious drug although it does work great for anxiety disorder. It's insanely addictive, causes pretty severe memory loss and might make you want to do reckless and irresponsible stuff. Also withdrawal from benzo's like Xanax are complete hell.

The doc will most likely try to start you with a SSRI anti depressant or an SNRI like Effexor.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinedoom876
Stranger

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #9422000 - 12/13/08 12:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

They game me prozac without a test. It may be safer without meds, they can have differant effects since they don't know what is wrong with your brain, and when you quit some(like prozac) you crash WHAM! if you don'r ween yourself off, sending you into a suicidal, deep depression and physical funk. Be careful, mine meds are crazy shit, at least the 1 pill a day I took was.

I sympathize with the anxiety, just be aware of dangers, don't make rash decisions, and get feeling better:)

I am not nagging, just being concerned.

--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

Edited by doom876 (12/13/08 12:13 AM)

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

#9422001 - 12/13/08 12:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yea, well u probably wont have to fake the anxiety with having to go to a doctor trying to get drugs. yea just tell them about problems with social anxiety and don't mention drugs but its good to try to mimic more of the symptoms, like you could read about anxiety in the DSM IV and you could even tell them that you are having minor panic attacks.

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Loc: right near da beach Flag
    #9422130 - 12/13/08 12:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've had/have major anxiety issues, been to 5 doctors, and no one will prescribe me benzos.  Doesn't seem to matter what story I tell either.  I've been on pretty much every SSRI too, they don't help me, but the dr's won't go the other route.  If you've tried SSRI's and they don't help then good luck getting help from rX's that actually do.  BTW I've never been drug tested by any doctors.

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: Set]
    #9422157 - 12/13/08 12:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

eh, try online pharmacies

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: SheerTerror]
    #9422394 - 12/13/08 01:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You should mitigate your anxiety the natural way, not by pharmaceuticals.

Here is a link to a link of some great resources: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9406233/an/0/page/0

--------------------
When it rains, it spores :shroompick:

"Consciousness is the Universe recognizing itself." Once we perceive that everything is conscious we can then ask, "How does consciousness take all these varied forms?" - The Primacy of Consciousness by Peter Russell

All works of poster are of absolute fiction to be used for no other purpose but amusement.

Offline402Camaro
Sr. Readsalot

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: SheerTerror]
    #9422474 - 12/13/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I really haven't left the house much in the past 5 years because I hate being out in public. Every once in a while my g/f will force me to go out and do stuff with her and I want to enjoy doing stuff with her but I just feel so uncomfortable. I'm really just tied of living life like this. I don't enjoy staying at home by myself but at the same time I don't enjoy going out because I feel so uncomfortable out in public. The whole time I'm out in public I feel really anxious and I just want to get away from everyone. I really don't have any friends because I never leave the house. I'm not sure if this is related or not but I also have a LOT of trouble sleeping because my mind is always racing. It usually takes me 3-4 hours of laying in the bed to actually fall asleep.

I've read over the anxiety symptoms and I have pretty much all of them but I have learned to control myself to keep from having full on anxiety attacks. My heart does start beating really fast and I get light headed sometimes but for the most part I've learned to control it as long as people don't speak to me. I'm a decently looking guy and my fear of everyone knowing how I feel seems to be stronger than the anxiety itself. I have absolutely no idea why this happens and it is completely embarrassing to me. I've always just avoided situations that made me feel uncomfortable. "Going grocery shopping at 1-2am to avoid people, paying bills online so I don't have to go out etc etc". I've recently moved in with my g/f and the excuses about why I don't want to do stuff are not working anymore because she knows what I'm doing all the time. It is really starting to mess up our relationship and I really don't want to loose her because I know I would probably never find another girl considering that I avoid everyone at all cost. We have talked about it and I realize things need to change and I've tried getting out more and I just can't make myself not feel the way I do.

I'm not sure what SSRI's are or what they do. I'll have to research it but I thought they were for depression? My life is depressing but I don't think I have depression. I'm just bored/annoyed all the time because I don't like sitting at home and I don't like being out in public.

I've never really taken any prescription meds. My g/f talked to my mom about all of this not long ago and my mom gave me a 5mg Valium. That is the only time I've ever taken a benzo. It didn't seem to do much other than dull my though process. I suppose it was a bit relaxing but I don't want to feel like that when I'm trying to study for college which is why I fear being put on anything that has to build up in your system.

--------------------

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

#9422568 - 12/13/08 02:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yea, it really sucks, ya need medications to deal with the situation

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #9422585 - 12/13/08 02:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

like set said, you are not going to get any benzos without at least trying a few SSRI's.

face it, the only way you're going to get over that kind of problem is by forcing yourself to deal with your irrational fears. drugs are not the answer.

Offline402Camaro
Sr. Readsalot

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: JT]
    #9425608 - 12/13/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I read about SSRI's and I really don't like the idea of messing with the serotonin receptors. The changes made by SSRI's are not permanent are they?

I do realize that no drug is going to completely fix my anxiety problems. I've been like this my whole life so no, I don't think a pill is just going to magically make it go away. I'm really just wanting something to help me relax out in public. Just riding threw town makes me feel really anxious and irritable which causes me and my g/f to fight all the time.

I went threw a lot of shit as a child and I probably should have had counseling. I'm not sure what event or if it was a combination of events that caused me to feel this way but I know I was a very strange kid growing up. Up until high school I had no friends and never spoke to anyone. I was known as the "quiet boy" because I refused to speak. During break time I would usually sit inside if the teacher would let me. If not I would go behind the building and wait it out. In junior high I started realizing that trying to hide from everyone was just getting me more attention so I started trying to act more normal. I made a few friends in high school but I didn't keep in touch with them after high school and I haven't met any new ones since I graduated. I've been out of high school for 5 years.... I'm going to quit trying to explain. I don't understand it myself so I don't know how anyone else could. Hopefully the Doc will understand. I know you guys are trying to help but I really don't think some herbs and facing my fears is the answer. I think this is just the way I am and even if drugs can't fix it they may be able to make life more tolerable.

--------------------

Offlineusefulidiot13
Dark Passenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Death From Above
    #9425636 - 12/13/08 05:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i have anxiety and depression issues and the docs want me on ssri's.  i wont take them tho...really not interested in that shit. 

just be honest and tell the doc how you feel.  let it all out...a good doc can tell a very serious patient.

--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

#9425696 - 12/13/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I think syndromes like social-anxiety are circular, where you don't like to go out in public because of anxiety, but it only makes it worse to stay inside.

Why don't you just force yourself into public situations.  No doctor can force you to be in public, but they can give you pills to mask any deep rooted social complex.  Occasionally, of course, go out to a local bar and have drinks with your girlfriend, or sit in a coffee shop and read a book. It seems like the more public exposure you have, the more boundaries you break down.  Force yourself to be outgoing and to talk to people. 

Counseling may help, but people spend years in therapy and often come out more confused with a bunch of surfaced emotions that make things worse, and the same with meds.

Once in a while I get social anxiety, but then I think to myself, I don't give a fuck.  Who gives a fuck about these complete strangers and what they think of me.  Say it to yourself, I just don't give a fuck over and over until you realize that life is not to be taken seriously>  Life is a comedy and the joke is on you, so why not laugh at yourself.  Relax, everything is going to be okay, and if it isn't, wtf, who cares?  Fuck it, what do you have to lose?

Hang on to the girl, though, and let her know exactly, exactly how you feel at all times.  Don't hide your emotions unnecessarily.  She'll understand more than you imagine.

--------------------

"Consciousness is the Universe recognizing itself." Once we perceive that everything is conscious we can then ask, "How does consciousness take all these varied forms?" - The Primacy of Consciousness by Peter Russell

All works of poster are of absolute fiction to be used for no other purpose but amusement.

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

#9425888 - 12/13/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yea you can always just get xanax from someone for $2 a pill or from online pharmacies. i've never wasted my time with doctors.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: jazzillion]
    #9425900 - 12/13/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jazzillion said:
I think syndromes like social-anxiety are circular, where you don't like to go out in public because of anxiety, but it only makes it worse to stay inside.

Why don't you just force yourself into public situations.  No doctor can force you to be in public, but they can give you pills to mask any deep rooted social complex.  Occasionally, of course, go out to a local bar and have drinks with your girlfriend, or sit in a coffee shop and read a book. It seems like the more public exposure you have, the more boundaries you break down.  Force yourself to be outgoing and to talk to people. 

Counseling may help, but people spend years in therapy and often come out more confused with a bunch of surfaced emotions that make things worse, and the same with meds.

Once in a while I get social anxiety, but then I think to myself, I don't give a fuck.  Who gives a fuck about these complete strangers and what they think of me.  Say it to yourself, I just don't give a fuck over and over until you realize that life is not to be taken seriously>  Life is a comedy and the joke is on you, so why not laugh at yourself.  Relax, everything is going to be okay, and if it isn't, wtf, who cares?  Fuck it, what do you have to lose?

Hang on to the girl, though, and let her know exactly, exactly how you feel at all times.  Don't hide your emotions unnecessarily.  She'll understand more than you imagine.

In response to most of the suggestions in your post...

EASIER SAID THAN DONE.

Anxiety is a horrifyingly crippling condition. You can't force yourself to go outside and be around people. That brings about the symptoms big time. Anxiety and panic attack situations aren't able to be solved by just forgetting about what people think of you and socializing with people.

It's a very hard thing to do.

Personally, I can't be around large crowds without alcohol or benzo's, otherwise I want to leave. Even If I know everyone there, I still feel anxious as hell.

And don't ever let it get to a full blown panic attack. And there is a loose definition of panic attacks these days. I define them as when you start uncontrollably shaking, your heart rate shoots up to over 200bpm, your blood pressure skyrockets and you can barely walk.

Panic attacks suck.. Don't ever let it get to that. It's horrible, I've gone through that shit 5 times and each one required an ER visit and massive amounts of Benzo's to bring me down.

Blah, I don't even want to think about that shit.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Re: Anxiety-Doctors Appointment soon [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #9426765 - 12/13/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ya, Wake you're probably right.  OP's testimonial sounds pretty severe, but every little bit helps.  Western medicine just makes me irk when it comes to psychological problems, but suffering is no way to live either.

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #9426862 - 12/13/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you truly have a problem you will be given an SSRI not a benzo, and it should work fine.

Lexipro is the most commonly prescribed these days and it will take several weeks to work. IF Lexipro 10 mg does not help the next step is 20mg.

Slim chance you will be prescribed anything scheduled and you will not be tested for drug use.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

#9427186 - 12/13/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yea i've never tried any ssri's or anything but, they do work, i've seen them change peoples lives.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder