Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
GE in a petri dish?
    #9419839 - 12/12/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Is GE not a concern when isolating in a petri dish?

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: arp180]
    #9419887 - 12/12/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:deepman:

Edited by Damion5050 (12/12/08 06:04 PM)

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: Damion5050]
    #9419905 - 12/12/08 05:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
No not really you need to cover the edges with parafilm or cling wrap, priority #1 is keeping the nasty stuff out..

+1, no GE and if you can keep them in a still-air environment, then you don't need to cover anything.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: Shroominit]
    #9420112 - 12/12/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure what the previous two posters were trying to say, but gas exchange is absolutely necessary in petri dishes.  They're designed not to seal tightly since the lids simply sit on top of the dishes.  Wrap with parafilm to provide filtered gas exchange.  If you seal them up, they'll stall out, and if you don't wrap them, they'll contaminate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9420337 - 12/12/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks RR, i just ordered 100 of the three section dishes and I was curious about the GE.    If you don't mind, i would like to make sure i have the right idea.

Agar recipe
2% agar
2-4% nutrients
aprox.  95% water
For the nutrients i plan on using Organic brown rice syrup and potato flakes.

After pcing i plan on making 50 dishes
10 to inoculate and 40 blanks

5 will be made of one strain and 5 of another
streak spore sample onto sections(what is a method of streaking? I will be using a spore print for one, and a syringe for another)

isolate soon after germination takes place and mycelium appears, transfering grain sized chunks. This is done before sectoring is even apparent to prevent assimilation of different species of mycelium.

(What am I looking for at this point during isolation? Are there any qualities besides speed and Rhizo's, that will even prevalent at this stage?  Besides a contaminate, how do i know if a dish is no longer worth the effort and should be thrown out.)

Continue the early isolation until growth is consistent at point of inoculation and it is apparent that a true isolate has been accomplished.

Fruit in true world conditions to determine what is worth keeping.

RR. do you fruit all your isolates, or only the rhizo ones?  What other qualities do you look for?

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: arp180]
    #9420353 - 12/12/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I meant no additional GE, they don't seal tightly (as RR said) and if you keep them in a glove box you won't have to worry about contams getting them. Sorry if it wasn't clear the first time.

You can use an innoc loop to do the print, I made one from a piece of nichrome wire looped at one end and twisted into a handle. Not sure how you would do a syringe properly (don't want too much water)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: Shroominit]
    #9420457 - 12/12/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Keeping them in a glovebox won't help.  As the temperature changes, air will be drawn into the dish.  Always wrap petri dishes with parafilm.

I wouldn't make up fifty dishes if you're only going to inoculate ten.  You don't need 40 blanks.  They should be in sleeves of 20, so make up that many, and keep back 1 or 2 as blanks if you want.

Use an inoculation loop to swipe spores onto the dishes.  If using spore syringes, one or two drops into each section is plenty.  There's some short videos on my site showing petri dish work if you don't have the full DVD.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: GE in a petri dish? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9420480 - 12/12/08 06:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, my first go around at the isolate thing....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale