Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
What causes bruising
    #9409148 - 12/10/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Alot of people mistake bruising for contamination. And they also mistake it for potent mushrooms. Obviously this is not the case.

Im looking for a good explination of what bruising actually is. Why its caused and whats involved.

I read breifly that its an enzyme that causes the brusing and nothing to do with active chemicals.

Anyone care to shed some technical experieence??

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: What causes bruising [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9409185 - 12/10/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'd like to know too.I find that the handled cubes form a yellowish,brown area and then bruises to blue,green or black.It's not the actives that are burning up though.I had two similar fruit bodies from a cluster and the one handled was no less potent then the one i snipped off at the base.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What causes bruising [Re: shroomophile]
    #9428830 - 12/14/08 07:00 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Bump

after more research im not convinced its an enzyme

AFter a post over at shroomotopia sparced more reasearch this is what i posted

Quote:

Quote:

Psilocybin is a naturally-occurring compound found in varying concentrations in some species of the genera of Psilocybe spp. and Panaeolus spp. (fungal Phylum Basidiomycota). The spores of these mushrooms are completely free of both psilocybin and psilocin. Mushroom caps tend to contain more of the psychoactive compounds than the stems.[4][5][6] The total potency varies greatly between species and even between specimens of one species in the same batch.[7] Younger, smaller mushrooms are relatively higher in alkaloids and have a milder taste than larger, mature mushrooms. Mature mycelium contains some psilocybin, while young mycelium (recently germinated from spores) does not contain appreciable amounts of alkaloids.[8] Many species of mushrooms containing psilocybin also contain small amounts of the psilocybin analogs baeocystin and norbaeocystin.[9][10][11] Most species of psilocybin-containing mushrooms bruise blue when handled or damaged[12] due to the oxidization of phenolic compounds. This is not a definitive method of identification or determining a mushroom's potency.

There are other species of mushrooms that bruise blue which are not active.

Phenolic compounds are compounds with a hydroxide group attached to aromatic hydrocarboms. for example phenol.

Hmm, now im just confused. At first glance of that, it apears that its not the actives oxidising but other chemicals. then a search on phenolic compounds

Quote:

n organic chemistry, phenols, sometimes called phenolics, are a class of chemical compounds consisting of a hydroxyl group (-O H) attached to an aromatic hydrocarbon group. The simplest of the class is phenol (C6H5OH).
Phenol - the simplest of the phenols.

Although similar to alcohols, phenols have unique properties and are not classified as alcohols (since the hydroxyl group is not bonded to a saturated carbon atom). They have relatively higher acidities due to the aromatic ring's tight coupling with the oxygen and a relatively loose bond between the oxygen and hydrogen. The acidity of the hydroxyl group in phenols is commonly intermediate between that of aliphatic alcohols and carboxylic acids (their pKa is usually between 10 and 12). Loss of a positive hydrogen ion (H+) from the hydroxyl group of a phenol forms a negative phenolate ion.

im all confused now, psycolibin has an aromatic hydrocarbon but its not directly conectect with the hydroxyl group, dont know much about chemistry.

The 2 anologhe chemicals also have a similar structure with the hydroxyl group not directly attached to the aromatic hydrocarbin

beaocystin

norbeaocystin

to early for all this thinking/reasearching

Im gonna slap the person who suggested it was an enzyme that causes the bruising

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

The Blueing Reaction [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9428862 - 12/14/08 07:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The Blueing Reaction.
"Only psilocin can be oxidized into products of bluish-green colour (GARTZ, 1996). The phosphate group in psilocybin and baeocystin prevents direct oxidation of the alkaloids. However, the typical blueing phenomenon does occur when this protective group is removed by enzymes, such as various phosphates, which are very common also in mushroom tissue. Apparently, the enzymatic removal of the phosphate group from the psilocybin occurs quite quickly. This is how psilocin is formed after injuries of the fruit bodies. Immediately after wards psilocin continues to break down into blue-coloured compounds."

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: HerbBaker]
    #9428872 - 12/14/08 07:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks!"!

--------------------

Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9429373 - 12/14/08 09:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

wow, very interesting!!! Thanks indeed!! :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblecosmictaco
The answer IS the question
 User Gallery

Loc: In a Ditch
Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: trich_cultivator]
    #9429392 - 12/14/08 09:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I wonder why the ps cubes i have now bruise black.

--------------------
                Apple butter toast is nice,...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: cosmictaco]
    #9429403 - 12/14/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

"Only psilocin can be oxidized into products of bluish-green colour (GARTZ, 1996).

Mr Gartz should(and does) know better than that.  Many species of Bolete bruise blue/green and they're non-active.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9429415 - 12/14/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

"Only psilocin can be oxidized into products of bluish-green colour (GARTZ, 1996).

Mr Gartz should(and does) know better than that.  Many species of Bolete bruise blue/green and they're non-active.
RR

OH YEA!! thats right!!! I completely forgot about the good ol' Bolete!!! I have some of the blue bruising Boletes in my backyard everytime it rains!! Very cool bright red cap, yellow pores, bruises CRAZY blue/green!!

--------------------

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: trich_cultivator]
    #9429568 - 12/14/08 10:42 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you click on the link it talks about similar bruising in  other species and how its caused by a different compound.

Gartz was referring what causes bluing in Psilocybe mushroom in particular..
In other words..There is nothing else in the Psilocybe mushroom that would cause the bluing.

I hope thats clearer.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Blueing Reaction [Re: HerbBaker]
    #9436439 - 12/15/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Excelent this is exactly what i needed thanks everone!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract