Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Psychedelic research volunteer?
    #9405627 - 12/10/08 11:31 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone knows of any recent cases of people being needed to take psychedelics as part of research.  I know the current laws hinder research like this, but from what I've heard, progress is being made.

The thing that made me wonder this is that my friend mentioned that they recently encountered a person who pulled them off to the side, asking if they had a few minutes.  Thinking he wanted to take a survey or sell them something, they were reluctant, but they soon found out that he was looking for "ecstasy users" for research.  He called the number that was given to him, but no response was ever received.  I'd definitely like to take part in research like this if it exists.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Psychedelic research volunteer? [Re: libertaire]
    #9405695 - 12/10/08 11:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

There are different types of opportunities available.  Probably the best way to go about it is looking at Universities near your present location.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Psychedelic research volunteer? [Re: badchad]
    #9405702 - 12/10/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Where would one find the listings for that, if they exist.  Would I have to go to the university and ask around?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9405816 - 12/10/08 12:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Contact MAPS

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Psychedelic research volunteer? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9405833 - 12/10/08 12:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks alan, your advice led me to this:

http://www.maps.org/volunteer.html

Cool, thanks again.

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

#9406190 - 12/10/08 01:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Isn't it usually "research", ya I know it takes certain objectives, clarity and publications to be "research".

If it's legal research nobody can be charged, they go through a great deal to establish the legality and get approval that is no easy quest to obtain.

The Government is far more paranoid about research "known drugs" like the kind that MAPS provides funding for than your research for drugs waiting for approval to be legal for prescription.....A bad reaction to a "street drug" being tested in research has a lot more damage than a drug for say, schizophrenia.

--------------------
Drug chemicals are going to be more abundant and survive longer than any anti-drug agendas.  Some of us are just ahead of the game, we already know what the future will understand.  Drugs weren't bad but how some people used them were and some people just were bad because they had to be.

OfflineBig_Whoop
giver of two shits
Male User Gallery

Loc: southern ontario Flag
Re: Psychedelic research volunteer? [Re: TreeMoss]
    #9406225 - 12/10/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

#  A Study to Assess Whether Using Vaporized Marijuana Affects the Safety of Prescribed Opioids in Patients Treated for Chronic Pain

Sponsored by the COMMUNITY CONSORTIUM
A branch of the POSITIVE HEALTH PROGRAM OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - SAN FRANCISCO MEDICAL SERVICE AT SAN FRANCISCO GENERAL HOSPITAL

This study will assess the clinical safety of the concomitant use of marijuana and opioids by monitoring the short-term side effects associated with combined therapy.

TO JOIN THIS STUDY YOU MUST:
- Have ongoing chronic pain
- Be 18 or older
- Be on a stable dose of oxycodone or morphine medication for at least 2 weeks before enrollment
- Be willing to give up marijuana prior to entering the study
- Not be a cigarette and/or cigar smoker
- Meet some additional criteria

IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE YOU WILL:
- Spend 5 days and nights in a clinical research center at San Francisco General Hospital
- Have blood tests and other measurements done
- Inhale vaporized medicinal marijuana three times a day

You can receive $520.00 for participating

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL (415) 476-9554 ext. 315

Or for more information visit this URL: www.maps.org/mmj/abrams/abrams-chronic_pain_study_flyer.pdf.

IF ONLY I LIVED IN THE STATES!

i think 520 bucks for 5 days is an ok deal... for smoking pot and getting a few tests done

anyone actually done this?

--------------------

the pillars of the universe are taking a break at the moment, please call again

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Psychedelic research volunteer? [Re: TreeMoss]
    #9406255 - 12/10/08 01:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs, especially since these drugs have the possibility of being really some of the most uniquely promising treatments out there for certain mental conditions, as well as in psychotherapy and spiritual use.  It's sad that they're considered "street drugs".  It's a realization I've recently come to.  Up until this point, I had no real problem with people who sold psychedelics to random people looking to have fun, I thought it was a harmless practice, seeing as psychedelics are relatively harmless and obviously enjoyable substances.  I've since realized that it's people who buy them to "have a good time" who have help put these substances are in the legal state they're in.  Not justifying the governments reaction, it's definitely an illegitimate one.

The only thing we can really do, apart from entering the science arena ourselves and discouraging the distribution for recreational use, is take part in research like this to help provide cold hard facts that can be used by those fighting the legal battles (as few as they are).

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Psychedelic research volunteer? [Re: Big_Whoop]
    #9406312 - 12/10/08 01:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Big_Whoop said:
#  A Study to Assess Whether Using Vaporized Marijuana Affects the Safety of Prescribed Opioids in Patients Treated for Chronic Pain

Sponsored by the COMMUNITY CONSORTIUM
A branch of the POSITIVE HEALTH PROGRAM OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - SAN FRANCISCO MEDICAL SERVICE AT SAN FRANCISCO GENERAL HOSPITAL

This study will assess the clinical safety of the concomitant use of marijuana and opioids by monitoring the short-term side effects associated with combined therapy.

TO JOIN THIS STUDY YOU MUST:
- Have ongoing chronic pain
- Be 18 or older
- Be on a stable dose of oxycodone or morphine medication for at least 2 weeks before enrollment
- Be willing to give up marijuana prior to entering the study
- Not be a cigarette and/or cigar smoker
- Meet some additional criteria

IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE YOU WILL:
- Spend 5 days and nights in a clinical research center at San Francisco General Hospital
- Have blood tests and other measurements done
- Inhale vaporized medicinal marijuana three times a day

You can receive $520.00 for participating

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL (415) 476-9554 ext. 315

Or for more information visit this URL: www.maps.org/mmj/abrams/abrams-chronic_pain_study_flyer.pdf.

IF ONLY I LIVED IN THE STATES!

i think 520 bucks for 5 days is an ok deal... for smoking pot and getting a few tests done

anyone actually done this?

Too bad (just kidding, I'm quite glad actually) I don't have chronic pain.  Figures it would take place in san fran.  Cali's cannabis laws are quite progressive.  I can't wait until those laws spread to the rest of the country (as I assume they will).

OfflineBig_Whoop
giver of two shits
Male User Gallery

Loc: southern ontario Flag
    #9406366 - 12/10/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yah and hopefully we follow suit (as canada usually does, cause our govt sux (not really though))

--------------------

the pillars of the universe are taking a break at the moment, please call again

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#9406448 - 12/10/08 01:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

libertaire said:
Where would one find the listings for that, if they exist.  Would I have to go to the university and ask around?

Most studies advertise in the local newspaper.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom