Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

Great Report on Green Mold
    #9395387 - 12/08/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.mycologia.org/cgi/content/full/96/4/712

Interesting - especially the part at end where they allude to further research being needed to potentially isolate and harvest the beneficial bacteria to fight off Green Mold and improve yields.

long and short: when working with straw it pays to keep the temps LOW not HIGH as RR has stated many times.

Edited by Dreamster1 (12/08/08 09:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinek4ge
Male User Gallery

Re: Great Report on Green Mold [Re: Dreamster1]
    #9395478 - 12/08/08 09:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Your link, links here.

--------------------
All posts by this user are not to be taken seriously.
Seriously.

OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

Re: Great Report on Green Mold [Re: k4ge]
    #9395547 - 12/08/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

does it still? thought i fixed that

Offlinegluvbox
mycophagist
 User Gallery

#9395622 - 12/08/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

TL;DR, but I did read the abstract.

It looks like they are suggesting that at least when it comes to straw and pearl oysters, you might not want to pasteurize, but definitely don't sterilize.

Edit: I ended up reading further to see that the positive stimulation of Pleurotus ostreatus came largely from the thermo-resistant bacteria (stuff that survives pasteurization).  The only down-side if that colonization suffers in pasteurized as opposed to sterilized (assuming the sterilized doesn't become infected).

Oh well... nothing really new here.  Pasteurization of bulk substrates FTW.

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Please contribute to the mycology wiki:
mycology.wikia.com

Edited by gluvbox (12/08/08 10:00 PM)

OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

Re: Great Report on Green Mold [Re: gluvbox]
    #9395741 - 12/08/08 10:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeah the only thing that really caught my eye was the idea of harvesting the bacteria to aid in increasing yields. seeing as how it was written in 2004 i am wondering if any of these cultures are available to the general hobbyist.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9396078 - 12/08/08 10:39 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dreamster1 said:
long and short: when working with straw it pays to keep the temps LOW not HIGH as RR has stated many times.

They say exactly what I've been saying all along.  Straw should not be sterilized because it kills beneficial organisms that help to prevent molds.  I've long recommended that straw be pasteurized at 140F to 160F, which is 60C to 70C.  They used 65C.

They also recommended room temperature colonization after inoculation, just like me.  Perhaps you're thinking of someone else who recommends HIGH temps, but not me.  I even bitch about people using incubators.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMarkle
Stranger
Loc: Sometimes i wonder...
Re: Great Report on Green Mold [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9396340 - 12/08/08 11:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I think hes agreeing with you RR, its just worded weirdly

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
    #9397874 - 12/09/08 07:36 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dreamster1 said:

Interesting - especially the part at end where they allude to further research being needed to potentially isolate and harvest the beneficial bacteria to fight off Green Mold and improve yields.

yeah RR must have mis-read quickly. happens to the best of us a? i hope more people read threads like this and do away with incubators \TITs ect. Colonize and fruit in room temps. :thumbup:

--------------------
grind

Offlineairborne robot
Stranger

Re: Great Report on Green Mold [Re: seven]
    #9397906 - 12/09/08 07:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The only tub I have ever lost to mold was one I had sitting on top of a warming pad covered with a blanket. Sealed up pretty much as tight as possible, but to no avail. Every other tub I just leave in a corner of my room and they have never given me any problems. Room is right at 72-75 and they have never given me any problems!!

OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

#9400449 - 12/09/08 03:29 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

No, Roger my whole point was that that report backs-up everything you have been saying. LOW pasteurization temps and normal colonization temps. Sorry if I worded it oddly but it was meant to reinforce what you have been apparently saying for years and still some dont listen LOL.

I remember years ago when I was really into growing I got cocky and stopped monitoring my temps during straw pasteurization and let it get way to hot. Well, humility set in with one hell of a whopping green mold outbreak. Hehe

But Roger, the bacteria thing seems pretty cool - do you know of anyone that has specifically isolated and reproduced said bacteria for inoculates?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9401403 - 12/09/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly 'what' bacteria are actually beneficial, since the air is crawling with all sorts of stuff.  I'm sure there's plenty of folks who claim to know, but talk is cheap. We have to keep in mind that mushroom cultivation is still in its infancy and there's been a LOT learned about it just in the time I've been growing them. 

What we do know is that sterilized substrates perform poorly, and some species won't fruit at all on sterile substrates.  In addition, sterile substrates contaminate much easier than pasteurized ones.  That works for me.

Sorry I misunderstood your original post. :blush:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

#9402493 - 12/09/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

RR - no worries my grammar was at fault especially considering how many posts you prolly "scan" over on here hehe.

By the way I just did my first bulk grow in years using straw and your method of pasteurizing - in the past  I never used soap or lime but this time I did. I am anxious to see the results. I did notice that the straw was stiffer than usual - is that do the soap/lime or just an anomaly of this batch of straw perhaps?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds