Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Should I continue trying to gain weight?
    #9395238 - 12/08/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

In short, I FUCKING HATE IT!!!

I'm sick of packing in pounds and pounds of rice. It makes me feel sick, and as it is I'm not used to carrying around the weight I've put on.

If I did gain like 30lbs of muscle like I hope for, would it all be prone to falling right back off because of ectomorphic tendencies?

I'm usually 5'6" at 120lbs or so. Right now I feel all bloated and squishy because I've been forcing down about 3k calories over the last month and a half. My strength is going up and everything but I wonder if in the long term my body will simply just reject the new added weight and secretly shed it off fiber by fiber.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: PyroBurns]
    #9395326 - 12/08/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no dude keep it up i'd say, are you drinking protein shakes and everything?

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: PreparationH]
    #9395347 - 12/08/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Fuck those. I'm allergic. All whole foods. I eat enough meat to get by and a little high.

--------------------

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
    #9395402 - 12/08/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

eat stuff like nuts, anything high in protein and fat. peanut butter is your friend. ice cream will help boos caloric intake too. your lucky in my book you want to gain weight when the majority of us wish we lost some

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

#9395556 - 12/08/08 09:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I can't gain weight at all.  I'm gonna just spend the next month or two shoveling the food in (not junk food) and see what happens.  I mean I do all the exercises that are supposed to pack pounds on like squats, deads, etc., but it just ain't happening.  I'm getting strong, but not any bigger. :wtf:

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: skydog]
    #9396069 - 12/08/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Are you doing squats and deadlifts?

You should be able to get to 150 lbs at 5'6 at less than 3k cals a day.  Just eat 4-5 solid meals each at 500-700 cals each.

How much do you weigh now?  You probably just aren't used to eating more than a 120lber would.

Just stay consistent and make sure you are don't slack with the heavy squats, deadlifts and all the rest of the big heavy compound movements and try to keep pushing more and more weight.

You should definately reach your goal of 150 lbs and I assure you that weight will stay on ya, seeing as 150 lbs isn't much to maintain in the first place.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #9396094 - 12/08/08 10:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

90% of the time it's the food intake.

I was stuck at about 160 until I learned how to scarf down some food.  I hit 175 eventually after learning how to dead and squat and eat.

Then I got stuck again and had to eat even more and overload the weights to get to 185.  That wasn't easy though, it takes dedication.

Now 180 for me is easily maintanable so long as I eat till satisfaction when I'm hungry, and keep lifting hard.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Edited by Ginseng1 (12/08/08 10:42 PM)

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #9396524 - 12/08/08 11:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

OK, let's say you quit lifting heavy and switch to a very intense bodyweight type workout.  How much muscle mass do you think you would lose after switching?

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9396566 - 12/08/08 11:37 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

A lot, unless you do the really hardshit. Then you'll just lost some.

For me, yeah I squat deadlift and eat a bunch. I'm putting on weight but the extraness of it all is uncomfortable, and I don't like the pudge either. It's like having a bodysuit on. :frown:

Well, I plan on stopping bulking in March. We'll see whats up. Hopefully I still won't want to end it early. Because I was lean, but too skinny for it to look the way I wanted it too. I want to at least have angled pecs pressing against my shirt.

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
    #9397325 - 12/09/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've been thin, fat, buff and cut and now thin again. I simply will not and cannot put myself through the eating again. I was waking up in the middle of the night pounding shakes and stuff. 600 calories in the middle of the night was basically like 4 1/2 extra days of eating a month in my mind. I looked great, but I felt pretty nasty.

I feel better today at 31 then I did at 21. Wish I had the energy and the stupidity/drive I did then, but overall, I'm happy with my body. Like the man said, being naturally skinny aint a bad thing, especially when you consider health and not looks. Which is hard, but really is the highest goal of diet and exercise no? Health and longevity?

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: whattheheck]
    #9399086 - 12/09/08 12:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've always been skinny, but i went through a period where i bulked. I bulked clean, so only ate healthy foods. I went for 10 weeks without any fast food. I have never looked or felt better, but lost all the work when i stayed with my family who are all coffee addicts.

I want to do it again, but I know the work and its kinda daunting.

I'd suggest getting a book on sports nutrition. A lot of people who try to bulk cram in WAAY too much protein, which is harmful to both your body and your bulking. If you increase your carb and fat intake its much better. Its also easier to get more calories from carbs than protein.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: Green_T]
    #9399154 - 12/09/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

My brother only eats cooked meat for every meal, tons and tons of meat.  He is a body builder and wants bulk.  I have always thought so much meat was unnecessary though.

Offlinezootroid
Stranger
Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: MOTH]
    #9399468 - 12/09/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

As long as you meet your caloric intake or exceed it, you will NOT lose what you have. As for being full all the time, enjoy it while you can. Eventually you'll eat a meal, then be starving only 30-40 minutes after.  It sucks when you gotta go 4 hours between a meal. (I was eating 4 large meals per day)

MOTH, you are correct. You only need enough protein to repair your body structures. Which for the average person isn't a whole lot. I don't remember if it was something like .7g/protein/lb of body weight. Or if that was for even someone who just works out. Not like the elite steroid users.

But anyways, I bet you don't even need a gram of protein/lb of body weight for most gym users out there.

Complex carbohydrates is what you're body is going to need mostly. Fuck with carbs present your body will use those as it's primary source of energy. Leaving protein to repair structures.

I tried a higher meat diet, they blow. At the end of the first week I found out what it's like to be bloated. Fearing constipation, I stopped eating like that.

Shit loads of carbs for lots of insane energy, some protein for your body structures and then top it off with some healthy fats.

I'm currently 140lbs, use to weigh 183 after getting there from 135 (which is my lowest wight) I'm 6'2" and would be considered having a fast metabolism.

I right now, would MAYBE have 100g of protein per day. 70g-90g of fats, the rest would be complex carbs and this would easily be enough to get my goals. I would just casually increase at a certain rate so I'd gain .5lbs or a 1 lb per week.

Just keep at it and you'll start gaining dude. :thumbup:

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: zootroid]
    #9400717 - 12/09/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've read that 1.5g/lb is the proper ratio of protein to body weight. That's 225g of protein daily for someone who weighs 150lbs.  At 5 meals per day, this person would need 45g of protein per meal.  Which isn't really that much, I guess, if you stick to fish, chicken, lean beef, etc., but still that is alot of food to eat daily.  I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who weighs 250lbs to maintain that ratio. :crazy:

--------------------

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #9401671 - 12/09/08 06:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I heard it is even less than 1.5 g protein/lb, and more about 1. Your body cannot even digest more than 30 to 40 grams of protein in one sitting, and with too much you end up burning calories because your body has to convert it to something useful. Protein is also not just found in meat, the right bread has protein too.

There was a roman wrestler who used to eat 23 chicken breasts for lunch every day. Unnecessary.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9401691 - 12/09/08 06:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I keep it to 1g/lb and it works just fine. Diet is pretty easy. Training is pretty simple (but difficult). Patience is NOT easy. I want to be 160lbs at 8% bodyfat by TOMORROW dammit!

None of this walking around town at 16% full of gas bullshit.

--------------------

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
    #9402388 - 12/09/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

A wrestler my coach trained with at the Olympic Training Center (I'm thinking Rulan Gardner) had a 24 egg omelet every morning :lol:

Unnecessary?  Probably.
Awesome?  Definitely! :grin:

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

OfflineVelvet Waltz
Stranger
Male

#9402784 - 12/09/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I am also one of those crazy hard gaining skinny fellows. I started working out some last year, managing diet, drinking shakes etc, and it started working to an extent, but I stopped for various reasons.

Thinking about getting back into the whole work out thing for health and fitness.

One thing that no one seems to mention is the financial issue of dieting/food to gain weight.

24 chicken breasts at lunch? I mean I don't need that many, but how the hell does the average person afford that?

When I have tried to diet before it was a challenge to buy a lot of fresh produce, its fuckin' expensive. I could eat fruit all day but it really adds up. Along with buying enough meat, fish, and mainly health/clean foods to bulk on it can be a bit overwhelming.

I'm about to transition from poor college student to potentially low-wage graduate and I'm wondering how people deal with buying enough food to break 3k, or what have you, of healthy calories every damn day.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: Velvet Waltz]
    #9403905 - 12/10/08 12:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That's one of the main problems. I have the discipline and desire to go with the knowledge and experience to make my "perfect diet" work. The results would be phenomenal. And it would cost me at least 4K a month. At least. And that's just the diet. No supps or whatever. It's somewhat sad.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I continue trying to gain weight? [Re: whattheheck]
    #9404301 - 12/10/08 05:03 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You mean $4k/month?  How could you possibly eat $1000 per week worth of food?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals