Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineForest Garden
Stranger
Truck load of pine wood chips
    #9392123 - 12/08/08 01:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ok,  i posted this and now it seems to have disapeared.  sorry if its showing as a repost on your end.

My neighbor is having a couple pine trees cut down and the tree service crew is chipping them up.    I went over and asked if i could have the chips and they said yes and they should be piled up there by the time i get home from work.

Can you inoculate a pile like this?    should i spread out the pile with my tractor into a large bed several inches thick or just make smaller piles or just inoculate the large pile?  what species can i get to grow on conifer chips?

thanks !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: Forest Garden]
    #9393368 - 12/08/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Whew!  Not a whole lot from what I understand.  There are species of oyster, lion's mane and chicken of the woods that grow on firs, but fir is softer than pine.

You could compost them and use the composted chips for a lot of different things.  They just need to break down a bit to lose some of the resins they contain.

Now, I know someone here can correct me... right? :smile:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9393403 - 12/08/08 04:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
Whew!  Not a whole lot from what I understand.  There are species of oyster, lion's mane and chicken of the woods that grow on firs, but fir is softer than pine.

You could compost them and use the composted chips for a lot of different things.  They just need to break down a bit to lose some of the resins they contain.

Now, I know someone here can correct me... right? :smile:

If this happened to be a huge pile of some sort of hardwood, say Oak, would you be able to throw some colonized cakes into it and expect results?  Or would the pile need to be pasteurized or sterilized?

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: jjb007]
    #9393746 - 12/08/08 05:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If you are growing outside, and have hardwood chips, you do not have to do anything with them. You will get best results with either oysters (agressive colonization), reishi (anti-bacterial properties) or maitake (also anti-bacterial). Some other species can also be tried, but your mileage will vary.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9394157 - 12/08/08 06:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Piles, paths of chips, not so wide that you can't reach the center,
2 foot wide work well, and about 6 inches deep work the best IMO.
Also think about where your pile is, if it is out in the open
where it gets full sun, it will probably not do as well if it
is in the shade. If you have a place near water to put them, this
is also helpful.

What do you plan to grow and what kind of pine trees are they?

Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: falcon]
    #9394403 - 12/08/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Oh wow, I think this post just made my day!  I didn't know that it was that easy to grow outside.  I am sure the temps are too cold right now for oysters and reishi (temps range from 20f to 40f).  But I will definitely give this a try in the spring.

Also, I don't quite follow your post falcon, are you saying that you will get better results when the bed is IN the shade?

Thanks!

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: jjb007]
    #9394710 - 12/08/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jjb007 said:
are you saying that you will get better results when the bed is IN the shade?

Thanks!

Yep, of course I'm guessing that Forest Garden plans to grow something
that does well on chips outside, like a Hypholoma or Wine Cap Stropharia.
Mushrooms don't colonize chip beds as well if they sit out in the sun all
summer all day long.

OfflineForest Garden
Stranger
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: falcon]
    #9417545 - 12/12/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

well,  i got home to find my chips had been hijacked by another neighbor.    This isn't the 1st time that b*tch has done this to me.  Last time i had a few truck loads dumped but then suddenly,  mysteriously,  they started going to my neighbors driveway.    They have a ravine they are trying to fill.  From what i heard from another neighbor is that they are slipping the tree service guys some cash to "re-route" the chips to their house.  oh well.

FYI,  if you see a tree service chipping near your house just pull up and ask one of the guys to dump it at your house.  If your house is closer than the dump they'll do it.  I've been doing it for years and just been using the chips as mulch around the yard.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#9417607 - 12/12/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Just for that, you should throw a bunch of stinkhorns in a blender with some water and then add the mush to a gallon of water in a bucket with a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar and agitate twice a day for two days.  Then you should pour the mess all over their mulched areas.  Fungal terrorism!  Bwahahaha!

Also, try getting a business card from one of those tree removal peoples.  Find out when they're cutting down hardwood trees that are suitable for log cultivation.  It helps if you bring out a case of beer when they finish their job. :smile:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9430154 - 12/14/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Normally, pines contain too much resin and oil to be successful, esp for oysters.  What you do need to do is let them weather and sit out in the rain and sun for a while, about 6 months.  then try them with the various species.  a similar problem occurs with eucalyptus species, too much oil, but if the oils are removed through weathering, success is inevitable.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineForest Garden
Stranger
Re: Truck load of pine wood chips [Re: solumvita]
    #9435652 - 12/15/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ok,  so that load of pine chips is out.    How about when i get oak chips?    i could make up bags and what not, but when i have the equivilent of a dumptruck worth of chips....  can i inoculate the whole pile?    I normally let the chips sit for around a year anyways to break down a bit.  When i go digging into them i find masses of mycellium in there.  Sometimes after i spread the chips as mulch, some assorted mushrooms will pop up later.  sometimes not. 

i also have a chipper that i hook up to my tractor.  So i can get fresh chips enough for small piles any time of year. 

should i just focus on trying to make up bags,  or is the large "naturalized" pile/bed feasible?    I'd just like to make the most of what i have available.

OfflineForest Garden
Stranger
    #9435724 - 12/15/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

oh, the Stinkhorns...  awesome idea!    i've discovered 2 diferent varieties around my property.    http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/images/deciduous/stinkhorn_0711.jpg ; i hope that link works...  the orangish/red horn type.  i 1st discovered that one this year and it totally took me off guard.  I'd never seen anything like it.  i was so amazed by it, i dug it up and dissected it !    i may try to grow those for myself... in a far corner of the yard  hahaha

OfflineForest Garden
Stranger
    #9435735 - 12/15/08 09:50 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i dont think the link worked.  maybe this one  http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/StinkhornElegant01.jpg

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#9435870 - 12/15/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hah!  Stinkhorns.  You can actually eat them when they're still in the button (egg) stage, but I'm not about to try it!  I would never eat anything with a universal veil that I collected in the wild!

Oak chips would be perfect.  Some species would be happy to grow in a bed of such wood chips.  King stropharia, black poplar, and maitake come to mind right away.  You can also try using burlap sacks of wood chips for other species.  (See Stamets' Mycelium Running for details on this.)  I've tried the bag method myself with decent results, the only problem being the bags weren't packed tightly enough.  Oysters fruited under the burlap.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck