Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedevappy
Stranger

depression and meditation
    #9374888 - 12/05/08 07:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know if there is another thread about this but here it is anyway.I use to meditate a few years back because I was really depressed,the worst I have ever been,and I really was getting desperate for help because I went through numerous therapists and none of them helped,one time one of my therapists was asking me all these questions and I was getting tired of it so I asked her a question(I forgot what it was) and she tried to reverse it but I am alright at psychology so I knew what she was trying to do.After that, every session we had we would just sit there staring at each other not saying a single word.(really awkward)

Anyway I decided I would do some research about meditation and I learned that there are alot of ways to meditate but the basic types are deep breathing and counting meditation.What I am wondering is,are certain types of meditation better than others,and I was thinking of making up my own meditation technique.Where I think about all my problems and try to sort them out or make reason of them and try to understand ways I can change my thinking and the way I act, because after those few years of depression I sort of forgot how to deal and react with people,but it could just be me being paranoid.I don't know anymore I am not certain about anything,I am always confused.I use to smoke pot alot and I think that made things way worse but I kept smoking for some stupid reason. I am finally away from the place that caused all my problems,so I hope I will start recovering.Any advice on meditation or just dealing with depression would be great.Also has anyone else gone through something like that where you feel like you changed for the worse?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledarkproggy
popularity king
Male

Loc: sin city USA
Re: depression and meditation [Re: devappy]
    #9375588 - 12/05/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The meditation exercises of Falun Dafa are the best for depression.  It's a type of Chinese qigong.  I'd look it up and see if you have a group in your hometown.  It's free to learn and practice.

Here you go.
http://www.falundafa.org/eng/contacts/area/index.html

Offlinedevappy
Stranger

Re: depression and meditation [Re: darkproggy]
    #9380063 - 12/06/08 04:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

great I am looking at it right now

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9381176 - 12/06/08 07:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If you are going to meditate, don't only do it as a treatment for depression.  If you do it as a means to an end, you'll quickly get frustrated and stop.  IMO meditation is more beneficial when you do it for its own sake.  It can expand the depth and clarity of other aspects of your life, but don't look for it to cure anything.  In my experience, the best thing for depression is to fill your life with engaging activities.  Meditation can help you keep your mind on those activities.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinedevappy
Stranger

Re: depression and meditation [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9381625 - 12/06/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Alot of the stuff I am reading right now I completely forgot about.The meditation I thought I made up is called mindfulness meditation.I understand what your saying I think that was my problem last time.I was just so desperate for relief.I now realize I should do it for a better understanding of myself and the situations that arise in life.I am going to try not to have any expectations of what's going to happen and just go with the flow and live in the now.I use to pretty much live in my head,like a year ago,and now I am getting better little by little.To bad there wasn't more input from people.I really would like to read other peoples thoughts are on what I typed.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#9381637 - 12/06/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Just experiment, and forget about results for now. 

To get more responses to your posts, include more line breaks and hit space twice after each period.  It really makes it easier to read.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

Offlinedevappy
Stranger

Re: depression and meditation [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9391782 - 12/08/08 12:07 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Really? That's funny.I don't think it is hard to read at all.People should stop being so lazy. I swear I always get comments on how I type. What are line breaks like periods?I'll do my best next time.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#9392100 - 12/08/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Line breaks are what happen when you hit the Enter key.

I have to disagree, I don't think it's laziness on the part of the reader.  There is a reason published material follows these rules so strictly.  Proper syntax shows respect for the reader, and makes it about a ten times more pleasant to read.

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7

#9392184 - 12/08/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

sit & do nothing but be effortlessly aware of what arises

lots of tendencies will show themselves doing this & in the light of your simply looking at them they will lose their power over you

you can select a topic & inquire into it if you like but the best topic to inquire into is "I" because your whole life is lived in the name of I"

including "Im depressed" "im not depressed"

solve the riddle of "I" & concepts like depression wont mean anything to you ever again...

:peace:

--------------------

Offlinedevappy
Stranger

Re: depression and meditation [Re: Chronic7]
    #9395374 - 12/08/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So your saying I should meditate right?I'm sorry but I am having a hard time understanding what you typed.

Offlinecultus fungus
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9403994 - 12/10/08 01:16 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Depression is probably caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and probably not worth 'searching your soul' about.  In other words, there is nothing 'wrong with' someone who is depressed, other than something in the brain is not firing right, a chemical reaction which needs to take place is not happening.  When I figured this out I stopped taking my feeling and thoughts so personally or seriously.  This is the first thing, then you focus on breathing.  It is what we all have in common, it is what constitutes life.  Breathe and be grateful of the breathe that enters and exits your body and gives it life.  Each of us also has a 'silence' inside of us, which (perhaps paradoxically) can be 'cultivated' or invited to grow.  From this silence our vision is cleared and we can better negotiate reality.  This is why some Buddhists speak of zen as being the cure-all: from such a vantage point you put things in true perspective, and life in true focus.

I have also found that there are 'chemical agents' which make it easier to go about my life.  A recent find has been Amanita Muscaria, the Fly Agaric mushroom or Soma.  Because being depressed makes you feel alienated from reality and other people, it is important to find a teacher who reconnects one with the the universal and unified field.  Some agent which exploits and expands your natural goodness, honesty, and stokes the fires of 'Agni' the creative spirit which is behind sex, art, evolution itself.  A small amount of this mushroom in the morning alters my usually over-busy and negative mind so that I can remain positive, clear and honest with any challenge which confronts me.  If you live in the country or suburbs and you like to take long walks (what depressed person doesn't?) you might consider hunting for this iconic red and white mushroom, dry it well and swallow a bit each morning instead of coffee.  It will put a jump in your step and may even get you dancing.

Many of us are alienated and confused because we have been fed lies for 2 thousand years.  Our religions, diets and cultures are whitewashes of their former selves, and no longer satisfy our real needs.  Hence the frustration, confusion, despair...  Don't get angry (only) at the ignorance and diversion pushers, take action in your life! Create your own culture out of the things you find important and pursue them to the utmost, bring them to beautiful fruition, and then you will be proud of yourself, free of frustrating false cultures, and, well, happy!  Good luck and peace be with you and yours.

InvisibleMycoangler
Loc: Like Horse Shit
Re: depression and meditation [Re: cultus fungus]
    #9404509 - 12/10/08 07:01 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If you live in the country or suburbs and you like to take long walks (what depressed person doesn't?) you might consider hunting for this iconic red and white mushroom, dry it well and swallow a bit each morning instead of coffee.  It will put a jump in your step and may even get you dancing.

How much is "a bit"?

A teaspoon maybe?

InvisibleTalking Head
cheeseburger walrus
Female User Gallery

#9404702 - 12/10/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cultus fungus said:
Depression is probably caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and probably not worth 'searching your soul' about.  In other words, there is nothing 'wrong with' someone who is depressed, other than something in the brain is not firing right, a chemical reaction which needs to take place is not happening.  When I figured this out I stopped taking my feeling and thoughts so personally or seriously.  This is the first thing, then you focus on breathing.  It is what we all have in common, it is what constitutes life.  Breathe and be grateful of the breathe that enters and exits your body and gives it life.  Each of us also has a 'silence' inside of us, which (perhaps paradoxically) can be 'cultivated' or invited to grow.  From this silence our vision is cleared and we can better negotiate reality.  This is why some Buddhists speak of zen as being the cure-all: from such a vantage point you put things in true perspective, and life in true focus.

I have also found that there are 'chemical agents' which make it easier to go about my life.  A recent find has been Amanita Muscaria, the Fly Agaric mushroom or Soma.  Because being depressed makes you feel alienated from reality and other people, it is important to find a teacher who reconnects one with the the universal and unified field.  Some agent which exploits and expands your natural goodness, honesty, and stokes the fires of 'Agni' the creative spirit which is behind sex, art, evolution itself.  A small amount of this mushroom in the morning alters my usually over-busy and negative mind so that I can remain positive, clear and honest with any challenge which confronts me.  If you live in the country or suburbs and you like to take long walks (what depressed person doesn't?) you might consider hunting for this iconic red and white mushroom, dry it well and swallow a bit each morning instead of coffee.  It will put a jump in your step and may even get you dancing.

Many of us are alienated and confused because we have been fed lies for 2 thousand years.  Our religions, diets and cultures are whitewashes of their former selves, and no longer satisfy our real needs.  Hence the frustration, confusion, despair...  Don't get angry (only) at the ignorance and diversion pushers, take action in your life! Create your own culture out of the things you find important and pursue them to the utmost, bring them to beautiful fruition, and then you will be proud of yourself, free of frustrating false cultures, and, well, happy!  Good luck and peace be with you and yours.

haha i think you take mckenna too seriously. and depression is not "just a chemical imbalance."

--------------------
pt:    n  u  m  b  e  r  s  c  a  n  a  l  s  o  b  e  u
CT(a): BH AT CW CE KI LI LT KE AE BH AE KW LT AW CE KI AT
pt:    s  e  d  a  s  c  o  o  r  d  i  n  a  t  e  s
CT(a): LT KI KT AE LT KE AW AW LI KT BI BH AE LE KI LT
:docbrown:    :realawe:                :realpacman:

Outer Space Radio Network

Gcv Ujkv

Offlinedevappy
Stranger

Re: depression and meditation [Re: Talking Head]
    #9405766 - 12/10/08 11:51 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I liked what you said alot but I think the depression in my case was the cause of my surroundings.I lived in a real bad neighborhood where I could trust nobody.All the people I knew were all punks and just didn't give a fuck about anything.So eventually I forgot who I was and lost my sense of identity.One day I got back from working and my mom said these kids were harassing her so I went to talk to these kids and they said they weren't doing anything, but by the way they were acting I knew they did.Eventually I got into a little argument with them and so I went inside.A few minutes later I heard a knock on my door and they were there acting like nothing happened.So I told them to get off my porch and one of them said don't talk to me like that,Ill hit you in the face.So I said will you,cause I don't think you will so he jumped to my porch and swung at me.

Well we stated fighting and I kept punching him,so his friend joined in and got me from the side which surprised the hell out of me.SO I just covered my head and let them swing so they will get tired.My mom heard all this so she came out and as soon as she did one of the kids punched her in the face.As soon as I saw him do that I remember everything getting blurry except for him,he was the only person I could see clearly, I guess I had tunnel vision.I charged at him and just realizing all my anger out on him.Well I forgot about the other kid and that kid hit me from behind then like 3 seconds later a complete different kid hit me so now I had three people beating on me.So all I did was duck and weave out of there circle,When I did that I saw a 4th kid coming at me he was the biggest of them all.So I said I'm done leave me alone.While all this was going on my neighbors were recording this on a video camera.

That's just one incident of the problems I would go through living where I did.I am still recovering from the mental strain it caused.I think I am getting better though.It is hard to explain what my problems are.I have to really think about them to explain it.I will try on the next post.

Offlinedevappy
Stranger

#9424171 - 12/13/08 01:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I just looked up that mushroom and I dint find anything about it being used for depression.It is poisonous and their are alot of effects that can be caused when eating it.

InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf

#9432003 - 12/14/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Read, Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It has really changed my outlook on life, I felt reborn after reading it. It is basically a guide to feeling content with everything in life. I would also look at this article. Sometimes the cause of depression is rooted in a person's biology. Getting healthier makes you feel better.

As for a meditation I would recommend just focusing on emptiness. You will still have random thoughts, but don't allow your self to attach or associate with them. You will come to realize you are not your thoughts and then you can work to control them.

Offlinecultus fungus
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: depression and meditation [Re: ChiefGreenLeaf]
    #9435716 - 12/15/08 09:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

RE: chemical/nutritional cause of 'depression'

Getting your ass kicked and your mom punched in the face and living amongst ignorant, violent people is certainly also a kind of 'chemical' imbalance, because we can guess that these, undoubtedly malnourished and probably chemically altered (alcohol, crack?, speed, what have you) youths are acting this way not because they are INHERENTLY EVIL but because they are chemically and nutritional retards who cannot think straight, and therefore act in cruel and inhuman ways.  This does not take away from the outrage and shame which such experiences cause...

I disagree with 'Talking head' and its not because of McKenna, who I have heard little of.  I have come to my conclusions largely through my own experience.

The brain is just another part of your body, and just as something wrong can happen to your
liver or other organ if you are malnourished and lacking in essential elements, your brain can take a dive given the circumstances.

I know this seems like a simplistic answer to some, but keep in mind that we who have only known the 'modern world' have been pretty radically weaned off of fresh food and herbal medicines, although none of our successful ancestors for thousands of years acted like us: they for the most part ate fresh fruit, meat and roots, then grains and oils, etc.... They grazed on herbs of many kinds and qualities.  You exist because of their grateful dependence upon the earth's fruit.  All of these elements lead to a more balanced and healthy life, including outlook.

So, I would recommend cutting out 'junk food' and finding the foods that actually give you energy (depression deepens if you just don't have the energy to get out of it).

As for Amanita Muscaria, the fly Agaric Mushroom, when taken in small doses (I dry it well, then encapsulate it, start with one or two pills, then add if I feel the need) is neither poisonous, as many sites claim in ignorance, nor is it, at such doses, hallucinogenic or disturbing.  The search for human happiness is the search for perspective and right action.  Soma (amanita Musc.) teaches you both.  You don't have to believe me, but you are posting on a shroom site, lol!

Don't eat any mushroom raw.  Don't eat any mushroom you have not identified.  Fortunately, the Amanita Muscaria's bright red cap dotted with white is hard to miss.  If in doubt, post a picture on a mushroom id site, and a mycologist will confirm.  Mushroom hunting, like gardening, is in and of itself a therapeutic path.

Amanita Muscaria 'Soma' is not a poison, what is a poison is Cheeto's and beer and being alienated from the earth and stars (as your aggressors certainly were).  What 'Santa' and 'Satan' and 'Jesus' and all of that religious theater is trying to tell us is about this mushroom, which was a PROMINENT player in the early evolution of mankind, both spiritual and practical.  I personally believe that there would be no writing or civilization or fast-speed cars and planes without this mushroom, simply because in order to be able to realize something you must first be able to conceptualize it, and the experiences afforded by the consumption of this mushroom (and other entheogenic plants) brings  the subject (me, you, our common ancestors) into a realm of possibility undreamed of otherwise.  It is just a theory, but I like it.

If you have any doubt about what I am saying, I suggest that if it is at all possible you use your tormentors as Guinea pigs.  Find some Soma, dry it and let them know that it is a powerful drug which they are sure to enjoy.    After 'talking to God' I am sure they will beg your forgiveness and treat you with respect.  They will also never look at 'getting high' the same again.

Just an idea!  The 'flesh of God' is here for us to use as an ally against ignorance and the ignorant.  It also inspires the meek to be courageous and the dull-witted to be quicker than their tormentors.

Good luck and God speed!

Offlinecultus fungus
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: depression and meditation [Re: Mycoangler]
    #9435765 - 12/15/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Re:  How much is "a bit"?

A teaspoon maybe?

Yes, a teaspoon is a good start.  I started with even less.  I have a capsule making set up (very cheap and easy to use) and I take two in the morning (when I have it!), which is roughly equivalent to a teaspoon.

InvisibleTalking Head
cheeseburger walrus
Female User Gallery

#9437658 - 12/15/08 03:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cultus fungus said:
RE: chemical/nutritional cause of 'depression'

Getting your ass kicked and your mom punched in the face and living amongst ignorant, violent people is certainly also a kind of 'chemical' imbalance, because we can guess that these, undoubtedly malnourished and probably chemically altered (alcohol, crack?, speed, what have you) youths are acting this way not because they are INHERENTLY EVIL but because they are chemically and nutritional retards who cannot think straight, and therefore act in cruel and inhuman ways.  This does not take away from the outrage and shame which such experiences cause...

I disagree with 'Talking head' and its not because of McKenna, who I have heard little of.  I have come to my conclusions largely through my own experience.

The brain is just another part of your body, and just as something wrong can happen to your
liver or other organ if you are malnourished and lacking in essential elements, your brain can take a dive given the circumstances.

I know this seems like a simplistic answer to some, but keep in mind that we who have only known the 'modern world' have been pretty radically weaned off of fresh food and herbal medicines, although none of our successful ancestors for thousands of years acted like us: they for the most part ate fresh fruit, meat and roots, then grains and oils, etc.... They grazed on herbs of many kinds and qualities.  You exist because of their grateful dependence upon the earth's fruit.  All of these elements lead to a more balanced and healthy life, including outlook.

So, I would recommend cutting out 'junk food' and finding the foods that actually give you energy (depression deepens if you just don't have the energy to get out of it).

As for Amanita Muscaria, the fly Agaric Mushroom, when taken in small doses (I dry it well, then encapsulate it, start with one or two pills, then add if I feel the need) is neither poisonous, as many sites claim in ignorance, nor is it, at such doses, hallucinogenic or disturbing.  The search for human happiness is the search for perspective and right action.  Soma (amanita Musc.) teaches you both.  You don't have to believe me, but you are posting on a shroom site, lol!

Don't eat any mushroom raw.  Don't eat any mushroom you have not identified.  Fortunately, the Amanita Muscaria's bright red cap dotted with white is hard to miss.  If in doubt, post a picture on a mushroom id site, and a mycologist will confirm.  Mushroom hunting, like gardening, is in and of itself a therapeutic path.

Amanita Muscaria 'Soma' is not a poison, what is a poison is Cheeto's and beer and being alienated from the earth and stars (as your aggressors certainly were).  What 'Santa' and 'Satan' and 'Jesus' and all of that religious theater is trying to tell us is about this mushroom, which was a PROMINENT player in the early evolution of mankind, both spiritual and practical.  I personally believe that there would be no writing or civilization or fast-speed cars and planes without this mushroom, simply because in order to be able to realize something you must first be able to conceptualize it, and the experiences afforded by the consumption of this mushroom (and other entheogenic plants) brings  the subject (me, you, our common ancestors) into a realm of possibility undreamed of otherwise.  It is just a theory, but I like it.

If you have any doubt about what I am saying, I suggest that if it is at all possible you use your tormentors as Guinea pigs.  Find some Soma, dry it and let them know that it is a powerful drug which they are sure to enjoy.    After 'talking to God' I am sure they will beg your forgiveness and treat you with respect.  They will also never look at 'getting high' the same again.

Just an idea!  The 'flesh of God' is here for us to use as an ally against ignorance and the ignorant.  It also inspires the meek to be courageous and the dull-witted to be quicker than their tormentors.

Good luck and God speed!

id like to try Amanita Muscaria, but your claim that mushrooms played a large role in human evolution is unfounded (although a fun theory)

--------------------
pt:    n  u  m  b  e  r  s  c  a  n  a  l  s  o  b  e  u
CT(a): BH AT CW CE KI LI LT KE AE BH AE KW LT AW CE KI AT
pt:    s  e  d  a  s  c  o  o  r  d  i  n  a  t  e  s
CT(a): LT KI KT AE LT KE AW AW LI KT BI BH AE LE KI LT
:docbrown:    :realawe:                :realpacman:

Outer Space Radio Network

Gcv Ujkv

InvisibleMycoangler
Loc: Like Horse Shit
    #9442375 - 12/16/08 08:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

f you have any doubt about what I am saying, I suggest that if it is at all possible you use your tormentors as Guinea pigs.  Find some Soma, dry it and let them know that it is a powerful drug which they are sure to enjoy.    After 'talking to God' I am sure they will beg your forgiveness and treat you with respect.  They will also never look at 'getting high' the same again.

I love the way you write, and the way you see the world and it's problems. I tried the "merry prankster" approach with my father thinking the same thing you did.

My first psilocybin trip changed my whole life, and my outlook on it. My father was the most arrogant, selfish, abusive, and miserable person I knew. He wanted nothing more out of life than to make evryone around him as miserable as himself. I could see that he was trapped in his own prison, and thought that if he could have an experience like mine, it would free him, and make him a changed man. Of course I had selfish motives in this too, as making him happier would make him easier to live with.

Of course this didn't work because I didn't really know how entheogens work. The key to them working is that the person taking them has to have the desire to change for the better.

The other problem with your approach is that these kids are so full of the toxins you describe, that it might not allow the Amanita to work the way it should. The one that is particularly bad, probably the worst is alcohol, yes, the legal one! That causes bad reactions with a lot of good substances.

I agree with you, and feel very strongly about the fact that the majority of depression is caused by circumstances, and poor diet. I also believe that a lot of mental illnesses out there are spiritual disorders, and the mental health system is only going after the physical symptoms rather than the real cause. So if they are lucky and get someone with a real chemical imbalance, they help them, but the others only seem to get worse or develop other problems with their treatment.

Thanks for the dose info. I will have to look into this next fall!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale