Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRatci
Esper<3
Female User Gallery

Loc: Coumbia MD
How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing?
    #9296868 - 11/23/08 11:51 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I just saw this from doom876: "I repeat, we are the sum of neurotransmitters and chemicals being fired off in our brain. "

When I saw this, I considered it as true. But it was a gross feeling. I don't WANT to be just the sum of electric signals.

Then I wondered why on Earth it's useful to a human to WANT to mean something. What biological function does that serve, if any?

Do you want to mean something, to be something more than just chemicals? Or are you alright with the possibility?

--------------------
People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. --Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemushroom people
I ♥ LSD
Male

Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: Ratci]
    #9296901 - 11/23/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What you do is more important than what you are. I will never know what I am, so I don't worry about it.

OfflineRatci
Esper<3
Female User Gallery

Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: mushroom people]
    #9296955 - 11/23/08 12:09 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Cool ^^

--------------------
People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. --Albert Einstein

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: Ratci]
    #9296987 - 11/23/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Our meaning is only what we make of it, its entirely subjective
but i believe my meaning is to teach people so they can lead a better life
and if u consider that nothing, then im fine with that

--------------------

InvisibleOgre812
Padawan Learner
Male

#9296998 - 11/23/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Do you want to mean something, to be something more than just chemicals? Or are you alright with the possibility?

I'm alright with it.

--------------------
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither, and will lose both.      ~ Benjamin Franklin ~

"Let me tell you about a Porcupine's balls.  They're small, and they don't give a SHIT!"  ~Danny~

OfflineRatci
Esper<3
Female User Gallery

Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: Coaster]
    #9297017 - 11/23/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
Our meaning is only what we make of it, its entirely subjective
but i believe my meaning is to teach people so they can lead a better life
and if u consider that nothing, then im fine with that

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about life-purpose. I'm talking about that supposed "something more" than chemicals and a body that humans have, or think they have, or wish they have.

Do you have a reason to believe in it? If you ever stopped, did you feel sad, or freed, or afraid?

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9297018 - 11/23/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

To say that we're "merely" chemicals is to only look at the materialist end of things while denying the mental experience that makes us aware.

We're merely atoms in the end, but we're atoms having a conscious experience, and that makes all the difference.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineRatci
Esper<3
Female User Gallery

Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: deCypher]
    #9297027 - 11/23/08 12:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Not only conscious but sentient =O

--------------------

OfflineHelpme1
freak
Male

Loc: shlums-of-meltbanana
    #9297054 - 11/23/08 12:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Ratci but all of these atoms that fire in and around us could be explained with the existence of god! Ultimately giving sublime meaning to these atoms! Success! Life now has meaning again!

No personal attacks. ~V

--------------------
:bobmarley:
"woah, that cat was really buggin out man, you should have put on some grateful dead so he could relax and enjoi his trip" -random shroomerite

Edited by Veritas (11/24/08 10:22 AM)

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: Helpme1]
    #9297077 - 11/23/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

we are all just star dust
and thats kewl with me

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: Coaster]
    #9297215 - 11/23/08 12:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

what we mean to eachother
to ourselves
that's what counts.
what other meaning are we looking for?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineHelpme1
freak
Male

Loc: shlums-of-meltbanana
Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9297247 - 11/23/08 01:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Intrinsic Meaning No personal attacks. ~V!

You are putting 'value' in relationship? this is a shittily subjective and VERY dependent ontology you seem to have acquired for yourself there.

You value your relationship with yourself, the world and others, and how they percieve you, and how you interact? This is the ultimate meaning to life? What the fuck does that even entail. Re-Evaluate plz.

--------------------
:bobmarley:
"woah, that cat was really buggin out man, you should have put on some grateful dead so he could relax and enjoi his trip" -random shroomerite

Edited by Veritas (11/24/08 10:26 AM)

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9297248 - 11/23/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What WE mean to OURSELVES?

Doesn't that change moment to moment??

And who are these selves of ours?  I can't find mine. :sad:

And what other people mean to me is usually based in misunderstanding.

The meaning I am looking for is basically the highest bliss with the least delusion.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Offlinepachanoi
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9297261 - 11/23/08 01:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

"How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing?"
call me lazy but i kind of hope this is the case. though i do believe otherwise

--------------------
all my posts are truly false or falsely true. Even that.

o beautiful for smoggy skies insectisided grain, for stripmined mountains majesty, above the asphalt plane, America America man sheds his waste on thee, and hides the pines with billboard signs from sea to oily sea -George Carlin R.I.P.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: How comfortable are you with the possibility that you mean nothing? [Re: pachanoi]
    #9297294 - 11/23/08 01:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

How comfortable you are with it doesn't make it any different, so any worries about it don't mean jack in the woods.

OfflinePlasmid
Absent
Male

#9297337 - 11/23/08 01:21 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ratci said:
Then I wondered why on Earth it's useful to a human to WANT to mean something. What biological function does that serve, if any?

We exchange information with symbols.  In order to pass our genes along, we need to give potential mates symbols that we are something: that we are worthy, that we are strong, that we are - whatever it is that is desirable.  We may be all the more convincing if we really believe that we are these things and are unaware that we're just constructing symbols in order to attract mates.

That's just one possible explanation.

Quote:

I'm fine with having a meaningless existence.

--------------------
Absent.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#9297353 - 11/23/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ratci said:
I just saw this from doom876: "I repeat, we are the sum of neurotransmitters and chemicals being fired off in our brain. "

When I saw this, I considered it as true. But it was a gross feeling. I don't WANT to be just the sum of electric signals.

When you become "alright" with a possibility such as this , thats when doors open for you to see that the possibility was only up to you...
I would disagree with this statement , as it is only one of many that try to discredit existence.
You are human in the 3d density.
After the transition occurs , if you have stayed on the positive side of service to others , you will find that the "body" and "mind" are no more of a chemical/physical nature..
There is always progress..
I wouldnt get to caught up with ideas like this..
To a sixth density entity we all look like little specs interacting with each other..
And they dont discredit our existence...They treasure it.. It is precious.
Why should you ?
Why should  I?
We are communicating now arent we ?
That must mean something.
These "electric signals" if you will.. are communicating with each other.. FASCINATING!!!
We are alive :smile:
Another day...

The more you learn , the more you will realize how other peoples theories are just a distorted version of what you couldve maybe thought up better.And then you learn more to find out that yours needs some work.So you think.
You do your research , eat your mushrooms , talk to aliens , heal yourself... and what else goes with the game..And then you get a phone call from a family member, telling you your a piece of shit for not calling..
So you integrate your knowledge..put it in a little back pack you carry around with you wherever you go... and head over to  your (mothers,GF's,buddies house ... because..
You LOVE her/him :smile:
And maybe if they are having a hard time , you will more than likely be able to help , being that you have that mighty back pack of light :smile:
That is your purpose...
We all have purpose...
We dont just mean something.. We mean everything.

All is one

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

Invisiblezannennagara
Found in Space
Male

#9297359 - 11/23/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ratci said:

Why would being "just chemicals" make it so that we mean nothing? Why aren't chemicals meaningful?

Even if we are just chemicals, that doesn't mean life is any less amazing or mysterious; obviously we have yet to fully unite our understanding of chemical processes with (as Cypher says) the mental experience.

The mental experience doesn't feel like chemicals, maybe, but maybe that assumption is just being unfair to chemicals - indeed it would seem profoundly spiritual to imagine each chemical as privy to (or component of) consciousness.

You are the only one who can assess your sense of meaning, so whatever meaning you believe in will only be a projection of how you feel about yourself (i.e. I am NOT chemicals, I am NOT an omnipresent God, I am a trifling waste without value). Whatever you want.

--------------------
No debe haber separación, no puede haber definición.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #9297440 - 11/23/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
    #9297453 - 11/23/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ratci the thinker!

I don't think it does have a biological function. In fact, I think most things that we define ourselves by today DONT have a biological function. Think about it.

Humans are the only animal on the planet who don't have to do much "survival" on our own. We  have abundance of food and shelter. We don't have to work very hard for either of these things. This gives us plenty of time to develop ourselves in ways that don't matter at all to survival.

What biological function does playing guitar serve? What biological function does philosophizing serve? Maybe "entertainment" or "curiosity" are the only things I can come up with, but it doesn't have anything to do with survival or reproduction.

We are indeed the sum of the electrical and chemical reactions in our brains. But, we each have different lives and experiences. That makes for 6 billion different reactions in each of us. And each brain is conscious of itself...its only natural a few will question their existence.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder