Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN]
    #9290832 - 11/22/08 10:17 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Candy causes elementary school drug scare
November 22, 2008 - South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND -- A mixture of sugar and Kool-Aid powder set off a chain of events this week that angered a mother and triggered a school system's fear of the latest drug craze.

On Monday, a student at Kennedy Primary Academy brought the mixture -- what the student deemed "homemade pixie stix" -- to school.

A teacher spotted the mixture, which had been sampled by a handful of children, and confiscated it, sending a 9-year-old girl to the principal's office for bringing an unknown substance to school.

According to Monica Rodriquez, the student's mother, school Principal Deborah Herring became concerned the sugar substance was a drug called "pixie stix dust," a type of methamphetamine mixed with sugar that's growing in popularity with teens in some areas.

Rodriquez said the homemade candy mixture is meant to imitate the Pixie Stix sugar candy, a powdered sugar that's sold in paper straws.

"When I was growing up, we didn't have much money, so we made our own candy," Rodriquez said. "We called it ghetto candy."

But school officials worried the mixture was a new form of an old drug -- and even had a security officer at LaSalle Intermediate School search Rodriquez's eighth-grade son and his locker, out of concern that he might have brought drugs to school.

Bill Bernhardt, director of security for South Bend schools, said he's heard about the drug, nicknamed "pixie stix dust" and "strawberry quik," but hasn't seen them locally.

"We were at a statewide safe schools academy last month and a person there was talking about it," Bernhardt said. "But he had not heard of any incidents of the drug in the state at all."

But Bernhardt said the drug -- which mixes sugar and flavorings with meth powder -- has been used in other areas and, like most drugs, could end up in South Bend.

"Drugs don't start in this area, just like most other places," Bernhardt said. "They end up here at some other time

or another, after they've become popular elsewhere."

In the last year, news reports have documented the use of the sweet drugs at a middle school in Minneapolis and at schools in California, although widespread use hasn't been reported.

Despite little local evidence of the drug, Bernhardt said school officials at Kennedy Academy were simply following school protocol when the powdery sugar substance was found.

Bernhardt said it's against school policy for students to bring "look-alike" substances to school, and violators can face severe penalties.

In the Kool-Aid and sugar incident, however, school officials called the parents of students who ingested the mixture, but did not file a police report.

Rodriquez said her daughter's punishment included missing recess, but that she was not suspended from school.

Although she's upset that her son was searched at LaSalle, Rodriquez said she understands the school's concern about drugs. She only wishes parents had been warned of the new drugs, too.

"My main concern is that there is some awareness brought to this issue," Rodriquez said. "They can send a flier home about my daughter getting the HPV (human papilloma virus) vaccine, or that the meningococcal virus is going around, so why can't they warn us about this drug?

"All my daughter did was try and bring Pixie Stix to class, and they thought she was making meth."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoc_Rochee
student
Male

Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: veggie]
    #9290876 - 11/22/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

these people are stupid a big bag of meth isnt cheep now days

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: Noc_Rochee]
    #9291059 - 11/22/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Wow. What have we come to. They see a little kid with an "unknown white crystalline substance" and immediately assume its meth and not the obvious - SUGAR.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: Green_T]
    #9291164 - 11/22/08 11:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

retards.

OfflineLawL mushrooms
El Gringo Loco
Male

Loc: New Mexico/Nevada
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: MOTH]
    #9291343 - 11/22/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

wow, this is sad :undecided:

--------------------
Living A Wild Life-LawL

"Why are we here?" "I am here to help others, i don't know why the others are here"

Offlineclorox
Crossing theDoors ofPerception
Male

Loc: The Other Side
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: Green_T]
    #9291484 - 11/22/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

green_titan said:
Wow. What have we come to. They see a little kid with an "unknown white crystalline substance" and immediately assume its meth and not the obvious - SUGAR.

couldnt have said it better myself..

--------------------

These walls, such they be, are crawling with geometric hallucinations.

Offlineelaspeinreason
psychonaut
Male

Loc: fairfax virginia
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: LawL mushrooms]
    #9291721 - 11/22/08 01:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LawL mushrooms said:
wow, this is sad :undecided:

whats sad is that we are even discussing this , absurd overreaction is all it was.
i would not call this news worthy

--------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one

Diploid said:
What's with proclaiming freedom by abridging freedom? That makes no sense.

Offlineragefanjr
Cookies4Rookies
Male

Loc: Valparaiso, Ind. Flag
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: elaspeinreason]
    #9293297 - 11/22/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sigh....I'm ashamed to say that I've lived in NW Indiana almost all my life, and I am really surprised that this kid wasn't treated worse than that 8 year old who allegedly shot his dad and another dude. When I attended a certain middle school in Porter County(near South Bend), I knew of a classmate who was EXPELLED for starting a whole Pixy-Stic snorting ordeal. Note to all readers: most of the kids lunches nowadays contain more sugar than an entire bag of that so-called homemade pixy stix mix! How sad indeed.

--------------------
Cooooooookies! Chomp Chomp Chewey Chomp!!!
This program has been brought to you by dirt. Dirt...it's been around so long it's considered to be older than...wait a minute...

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #9293486 - 11/22/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Haven't you heard?  All of America has a new policy:  "Why react when I can over-react."

What a bunch of moronic sipletons!

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: Nature Boy]
    #9294182 - 11/22/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

that is the lamest news article i've ever read.
what the fuck are they talking about??

OfflineSunshineDaydream
Journeyman
Male User Gallery

Loc: OK Flag
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: large_dose]
    #9295487 - 11/23/08 01:43 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ghetto candy :awesome:

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: SunshineDaydream]
    #9310317 - 11/25/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why waste perfectly good meth on your kids when you can give it to everyone elses!

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #9310345 - 11/25/08 11:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Bill Bernhardt, director of security for South Bend schools, said he's heard about the drug, nicknamed "pixie stix dust" and "strawberry quik," but hasn't seen them locally.

"We were at a statewide safe schools academy last month and a person there was talking about it," Bernhardt said. "But he had not heard of any incidents of the drug in the state at all."

I was under the impression that whole 'strawberry quik' thing was a hoax/urban legend... in the same vein as jenkem.

Either way... "security" people need to be trained better.

OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: SF/NYC biCoastal
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #9317523 - 11/26/08 03:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Alas, my childhood repeats itself for another. I've been a hustler for a long time. In fifth grade (afer my first grade orange delivery service) I began mixing salt, a little bit of sugar, and kool-aid to make an imitation mexican salt-like candy. I was making a killing! Instead of purchasing ice cream from the school after lunch, the kids where bringing their ice cream money to me! I eyeballed packages about as big as an 8 ball of coke, wrapped them up in saran wrap, and sold them for $0.75 a pack. I was bringing home 10-20 bucks a day. It wasn't long before competition came around... None could compete with my secret recipe, my trademarked taste, and the consistant quality of my product! So, one day I am called into the principles office. There on the table I saw it. A cheaply crumpled tin foil package leaking red fluid onto the desk upon which it sat.... And behind that, sat Bobby Dollar, that snitch ass, bitch faced, cum guzzling gutter slut. He had been caught selling his bullshit cut crap candy and snitched me out. I didn't really get in trouble, but I did have to stop selling at school. Put a real dent in my pocket. If I knew what I know now, I would have just hidden my stash, did deals in the bathroom, and when they came to me saying they busted this kid with my candy, I'd tell them I didn't know what they where talking about.

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
Re: Candy causes elementary school drug scare [IN] [Re: Realnuggetz]
    #9317574 - 11/26/08 03:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Realnuggetz said:
Alas, my childhood repeats itself for another. I've been a hustler for a long time. In fifth grade (afer my first grade orange delivery service) I began mixing salt, a little bit of sugar, and kool-aid to make an imitation mexican salt-like candy. I was making a killing! Instead of purchasing ice cream from the school after lunch, the kids where bringing their ice cream money to me! I eyeballed packages about as big as an 8 ball of coke, wrapped them up in saran wrap, and sold them for $0.75 a pack. I was bringing home 10-20 bucks a day. It wasn't long before competition came around... None could compete with my secret recipe, my trademarked taste, and the consistant quality of my product! So, one day I am called into the principles office. There on the table I saw it. A cheaply crumpled tin foil package leaking red fluid onto the desk upon which it sat.... And behind that, sat Bobby Dollar, that snitch ass, bitch faced, cum guzzling gutter slut. He had been caught selling his bullshit cut crap candy and snitched me out. I didn't really get in trouble, but I did have to stop selling at school. Put a real dent in my pocket. If I knew what I know now, I would have just hidden my stash, did deals in the bathroom, and when they came to me saying they busted this kid with my candy, I'd tell them I didn't know what they where talking about.

lmfao. Classic

This is a fucked up story man, everything is Meth now a days :P

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract