Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrbook7
Stranger
Male

Trouble with 2nd Grow attempt
    #9283792 - 11/21/08 08:04 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So I have only once successfully cultivated mushrooms. I used the Brown Rice Flour / Verm cake method and used soaked perlite to line the bottom of the terrarium for added moisture. I did not coat the cakes with verm for the first flush and had a decent turn out (more than I expected anyway) and rinsed and covered them in verm for the 2nd and 3rd flushes for moderate results.

Anyway this time Im using a different strain (Penis Envy, compared to Golden Teacher for the 1st time) but I made the cakes the same way as before. I birthed 3 cakes a little early, they had just fully colonized the jars, and I coated two of them in verm. This time my terrarium didnt have perlite at the bottom of it but I did mist it three times a day and removed excess water (though it does still seem less humid than my previous one). They have been in there for 10 days now, 12 hours light, 12 hours dark. The only result is a tiny bit of some other white mold to sprout at the bottom of the cakes (doesnt look contaminated, no cob webs).

So Im wondering what Ive done wrong so far or am still doing wrong. I have 5 more cakes that are still in jars, and its been at least a week since full colonization. Should I just scrap what I got going on now, clean the terrarium, and do it with the perlite like the first time? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

--------------------
Journal entries cover my grow attempts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinej.guit.err
Success-er

Re: Trouble with 2nd Grow attempt [Re: Mrbook7]
    #9283808 - 11/21/08 08:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why are you skipping out on the perlite? That is an essential step for humidity.

--------------------
"We can't trust the sword of a thousand truths to a newb!"
-Looking for prints, anything will do besides B Plus and EQ!
-PM me your offers!

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Trouble with 2nd Grow attempt [Re: j.guit.err]
    #9283839 - 11/21/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

lol. i removed perlite what im i doing wrong.

dont improvise untill you have a good understanding of how it works. myc needs neeer saturation at the surface to pin. without perlite you wont have enough moisture in the air. put the perlite back in. you may neerd to dunk youtr ake again as they would have dried out.

also, wait 1 week onvce it looks fully colinised. to allow mycelium to consolidate its hold on the substrate. birthing early will just result in them sitting drying ouut.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

Re: Trouble with 2nd Grow attempt [Re: j.guit.err]
    #9283841 - 11/21/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yeah dude you need the perlite.  You're humidity should be betweenn 95 and 99 percent.

--------------------

OfflineElevated
ApprenticeCultivator
Male User Gallery

Re: Trouble with 2nd Grow attempt [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9283883 - 11/21/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

95% R.H. + FAE and a healthy cake = success

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags