Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Your opinions (pistols)
    #9273273 - 11/19/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Aight so some of my friends and i got into arguments over what is the best kind of pistol to have for protection.

One said a .45 for the size and weight of the round

One, and i kinda agree, likes the idea of a .357 magnum because you can load .38 spl into it as well, and i was like yeah if i did that i'd put .38, .357 till the cylinder is full, so i can double tap with it bewm with .38 and then kafuckingboom with 357 round.

Someone else likes 9mm because they can fit like 16 rounds into theirs and the ammo is cheap. Thats gay if you ask me.

Someone else mentioned the five seven, it shoots something similar to a .223 rifle round and he likes it because it can shoot long distance, but why would you use a pistol for long distance anyways? Get the full power of a rifle.

I opted, of course for the .40 smith and wess because in my opinion it combines all the good aspects of those rounds.  Its' wide and heavy like a .45, it can go 11-1200 fps like a .357, and my gun holds 16 rounds like a 9mm.

So its got size, weight, velocity, and capacity in a .40.  Apparently it has a slightly higher one shot stop percentage than .45 or .357, but i dont know if that source is reputable, because how can you really measure shit like that? Every situation is different.  In police shootings though, 97% of the .40 shots would instantly drop someone with a center mass shot, 96% of .45 would do it, 90% of 9mm, and 96% for .357. 

Of course something like a 454 casull or 44 magnum would always drop someone, but those really aren't conventional carry guns. 

What do yall think is the leetest handgun cali?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: ray40cal]
    #9273321 - 11/19/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

.40 . Higher velocity and better penetration than a .45. The only problem is the cost of ammunition these days and lower mag capacity than 9mm.

It's also a snappier round so it's a bit harder to shoot than a 9mm or .38. I think it has even a harder controllable recoil than a .357 or .45. But that also depends on the firearm.

BTW, the five-seven fires a 5.7x28mm round. It's the same round that the FN P-90 uses.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #9273326 - 11/19/08 04:43 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

lately i've been using a klingon laser pistol.  its got some problems when fighting hive mind cyborgs, but for pretty much anything else it gets the job done.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleGeomancer
Seeker of Wisdom
Loc: the shadows of your mind
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #9273349 - 11/19/08 04:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I like the .357 sig, personally.  I keep my CC pistol loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT's mostly (with the talon bullets) but have used the Speer Gold Dot duty ammo in the past, they are both a good defense round, but I tend to prefer the Rangers. (honestly, probably mostly due to their reputation)

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: truekimbo2]
    #9273368 - 11/19/08 04:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The best handgun is the one that you are comfortable, and effective with. Personally I like the Taurus pt145, and for a revolver, the colt trooper 357.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: Geomancer]
    #9273373 - 11/19/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

380 auto.

40 is ok, but look bottom line any of those pistols will murder someone. A 22 mag will kill someone. A desert eagle will kill someone.

The caliber is more about what you want. I have a 380 for protection, I have a 32 for shooting fun, I have a 22 mag to dick around with since its cheap, and I have a 45 to hunt with in case I get attacked by something.

A 45 will absolutely tear a human up...Why you would want that for protection I don't know, but if you can afford the ammo and are a good shot then go for it.

I would much rather have a 380 with a larger clip than to risk the chance of the other guy having a few extra shots on him, and end up killing me all because I wanted a bigger round...That I couldn't shoot straight anyway.

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#9273375 - 11/19/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've always wanted to see what a Glaser Safety Slug would do. Too bad those fuckers are so outrageously expensive. And they don't use the liquid teflon suspension that they did in the 80's.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: truekimbo2]
    #9273407 - 11/19/08 04:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The .40 S&W is the most versatile as explained by the others.  Better stopping power than the 9mm, better ballistics than then .45 ACP.  Considering all the high capacity .45 handguns that are out there now, the 9mm's high capacity isn't as great a selling point.

The FNH shoots those little 5.7mm rounds that are supposed to be effective at piercing body armor.  It would be a fun gun to shoot, but I wouldn't want to rely on its stopping power.

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
lately i've been using a klingon laser pistol.  its got some problems when fighting hive mind cyborgs, but for pretty much anything else it gets the job done.

LOL

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: MHbound]
    #9273432 - 11/19/08 05:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
A 22 mag will kill someone.

I know a guy who took a full clip point blank to the face from some piece of shit trying to steal his car. It fucked his nasal passage up, but he managed to kick the pistol out of the guys hand and beat the shit out of him on the side of the road.......Dont mess with Texans.:rockon:

My father took 5 rounds from a rifle to the chest, and recovered with only a little numbness in 2 of his toes.

They are fun for shooting cans, and rabbit hunting. However I would never depend on a 22 for personal defense. I'd rather have a fucking ninja star, or hockey stick. At least then you just look too crazy to mess with.:lol:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleGeomancer
Seeker of Wisdom
Loc: the shadows of your mind
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9273476 - 11/19/08 05:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
I would never depend on a 22 for personal defense. I'd rather have a fucking ninja star, or hockey stick. At least then you just look too crazy to mess with.

:lol:

Oh man, hilarious quote...I may have to put that in my signature! :lol:

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #9273585 - 11/19/08 05:27 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

IMO you dont need anything large like a .40 or a .45 for personal protection. sure theyre powerful as hell, and everyone likes more power, but when it comes down to it you want something light and easily handle-able, now if a .40 or .45 falls into this category for you, for example, if youre a lumberjack or shaq, it would be a great gun. 

i have a .22, a 9mm, a .357mag and a .380.

now you also have to ask what the purpose is for, home or out and about?  home protection i would go with the larger 9mm or .357mag since you dont have to conceal them, but for out in public i prefer my .380 because its a slimline and fits in my pocket without notice, but has considerable power.

personally my .22 with 16 rounds in it would work just fine.  if you cant kill a person at close range with 16 rounds of .22, then you have a problem. especially if theyre hollow points.  but of course i would go for one of my larger calibers instead, 1-2 shots from my 9mm could definately do it, and one .357mag hollow point to the torso will take anyone down.

to anyone that doubts a .22 for defense, you obviously dont know much about it.  solid bullets are commonly known to ricqoshet back and forth inside of the body cavity, and hollow points will shred you something terrible.  it may not have knockdown power, but thats not always what counts.  the only thing i would recommend with a .22 is that you keep firing until they drop.

edit: forgot to mention, im talking about .22 LR or MAG, not straight .22, those are garbage(and probably what said friend and father were hit with in above posts).

--------------------

Edited by LeftyBurnz (11/19/08 05:33 PM)

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #9273725 - 11/19/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

oh and i would like to direct you gun lovers to the new location of the hunting and shooting forum.  :awesome:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/87

--------------------

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

#9273745 - 11/19/08 05:56 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
oh and i would like to direct you gun lovers to the new location of the hunting and shooting forum.  :awesome:

Nice :strokebeard:

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: skydog]
    #9273760 - 11/19/08 05:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

skydog said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:

Nice :strokebeard:

yeah. i figured it would be better suited out here in the public instead of in the supporter forum where it hardly every got attention.

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: skydog]
    #9273764 - 11/19/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

A 22 mag...Not a 22. There is a fair amount of difference.

I was kind of being sarcastic when I said that, but I promise you...You give me a 22 mag, and let someone attack me and they wont walk away.

I was just making a point that if you shoot someone with a 22 mag in the head they will now make it. If they do they will be wheeled in to the operating room.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: MHbound]
    #9273777 - 11/19/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

absolutely.

--------------------

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #9273798 - 11/19/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

No way i would depend on a pistol for home defense, unless i had to. I've got a 12 guage semi-auto, 16 guage semi auto, 20 guage pump, and a .410 / .22lr over under and i would take any of those over any pistol known to man for home defense.  I'm just talkin bout carry guns.

I like the .40 because tbh, there's no way a four five has any more stopping power. The 45 will not penetrate as much, and a .40 165 gr. JHP will leave shards of brass that penetrate in a spiral form and devestate shit because of its velocity. It's way more damaging than a 45.    Also, no pistol is going to be heavy enough to knock a human being down with sheer force of the bullet, otherwise the shooter would get knocked down by the recoil.    The hit the person feels on the other end, has a similar weight to the felt recoil. Plain physics, you can not physicly blow someone down with a pistol round, they might fall out of shock or instant capacitation via damage to organs and central nervous system, but the force of the bullet just can't knock anyone down.

Even when you get up to huge rounds from rifles, there's a better chance the target will just split to pieces, before the force of the bullet is seriouse enough to knock them down.    A .50 rifle for instance, and i dont mean muzzleloaders, will still not have enough force to knock a human target to his ass, but can easily split him.

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9273804 - 11/19/08 06:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
The best handgun is the one that you are comfortable, and effective with. Personally I like the Taurus pt145, and for a revolver, the colt trooper 357.

Totally nailed it.

No caliber is better than any other. And saying 9mm is gay. I resent that. 9mm is just as effective as a .45ACP if you put it in the right spot.

The most effective gun is the one that gets your bullet on target every time (or almost every time).

The caliber argument is as old as the guns themselves.

So in closing. The best defensive round is just like the best piece of real estate.
Location Location Location

Hit somebody dead center of chest with a .380, 9mm, .357, .44Mag, .45ACP they all drop the same.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #9273819 - 11/19/08 06:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

firstly, i have to say: the best handgun for self defense is the one you have when you need it and with which you can put lead where it needs to go.

i largely favor .45 ACP, 10MM auto and .40 S&W, but any round over .22LR is appropriate for defense if you can use it in time, use it confidently and stopping an immediate threat to your life is your primary concern.

there are certainly those who hold that anybody worth shooting is worth killing, but i don't see things that way.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Your opinions (pistols) [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9273826 - 11/19/08 06:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

BTW. .22 Magnum to the face or chest will kill anybody. Had to have been a .22LR or even a .22 Short.

New hunting and shooting forum!!  :omgawesome:

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom