Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
LHC Still Offline - Tevatron Discovers New Particle?
    #9259173 - 11/17/08 10:06 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not sure how many outside of the physics community are aware of the Fermilab facility outside of Chicago, Illinois, which housed the largest particle accelerator in the world, the Tevatron, until CERN finished the LHC in Geneva this year.  I grew up in Chicago and used to visit the Tevatron occasionally as a kid, as my Grandfather was a company rep who went there on business often.  I remember they had, not sure if they still do, but they used to have a herd of buffalo that lived in the middle of the accelerator ring.  Cool stuff...

Anyway, while the LHC is still being calibrated, work continues at the Tevatron as the physicists there work feverishly in the race to discover new particles such as the Higg's Boson.  However, I read in the Chicago Tribune this morning, and this article also speaks to this, that they have potentially discovered some new particle completely unknown or un-envisioned by science.

Please read, interesting stuff.  I love it when something happens in science and everyone is just like, "Well, we don't have a fucking clue!"

Quote:

Ghost in the Machine? Physicists May Have Detected a New Particle at Fermilab

Strange things are afoot at the Tevatron particle collider at Fermilab, and the aging U.S. particle smasher is getting an unexpected moment in the spotlight while physicists wait for the repairs of the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. Researchers say experiments at the Tevatron have produced particles that they are unable to explain using the standard model of physics, and say it’s possible that they’ve detected a previously unknown particle. If the result does turn out to be due to some unexpected new process, it would be the most significant discovery in particle physics for decades [Physics World].

Bloggers and theorists are already lining up explanations that involve unseen particles, hypothetical strings, or modifications of conventional physics. The finding is so controversial that about one-third of the 600-person experiment that detected it are refusing to put their names on the 69-page paper purporting its discovery [Nature News], which was posted in advance of publication on the server arXiv.

The mysterious particles were detected in the course of the Tevatron’s collisions of protons and anti-protons; researchers were using the Collider Detector at Fermilab (CDF) to study the particles created by those smash-ups. In certain experiments the CDF detected an excess of particles called muons, and researchers couldn’t explain where they came from. “It just doesn’t add up,” says Jacobo Konigsberg, … a CDF spokesperson. Konigsberg says that the collaboration struggled for months to explain away the effect, but in the end felt it was better to publish their data for others to see and debate. “It wouldn’t have been responsible to sit on this for much longer,” he says [Nature News].

Some researchers think the extra muons indicate that the collisions created an unknown particle, which then decayed into the muons. Theoretical physicist Neal Weiner says the finding could back up a theory he’s developed with a colleague on dark matter – the enigmatic stuff thought to make up a large proportion of the universe…. Their model posits dark matter particles that interact among themselves by exchanging “force-carrying” particles with a mass of about 1 gigaelectronvolts [New Scientist]. But these suppositions (and others involving string theory) are very preliminary, and researchers say they may still find a perfectly mundane reason for the presence of the mysterious muons. When the Large Hadron Collider gets back up and running in 2009, researchers hope it will work on solving the puzzle.

Link

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: LHC Still Offline - Tevatron Discovers New Particle? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9259231 - 11/17/08 10:15 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This stuff blows my mind. I love it. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: LHC Still Offline - Tevatron Discovers New Particle? [Re: MHbound]
    #9267894 - 11/18/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It really goes to show that no matter how smart Man thinks he's become, he really doesn't know shit.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom