Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

sooooo PNW question
    #9248101 - 11/15/08 09:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

so whats the deal with everyone On here I always see complaining about their cyan patch getting destroyed.... Is this really that common of a occurance up there? I usually see everyone complain about it at least once, and then there is the reactionary group of people being anal about how others harvest their cyans. Like how you have to use scissors. But really, how common  is it for people to go and rip up the myc bedding of a cyan patch? Is this just a natural reaction for a newbie up there when stumbling on a fat patch to rip up the wood chips in search of pins or some shit? or do they just wanna see what it looks like in there.

We have no such problems down here on the 3rd coast, and I and somewhat baffled by the amount of people on here i see complaining about their patches getting destroyed every year. it seems like a common occurance... maybe some sort of animal likes to tear them up, like dogs or something. It kind of seems far fetched to me that a decent amount of the mushroom hunting population up there would see it prudent to rip up the bedding where they are picking a patch of cyans.  Are there rumors or some shit about

I can understand picking pins because those are edible and some people dont understand the importance of the mushrooms life cycle and how that plays in with patch proliferation.  People down here think that flipping over cow patties will yeild mushrooms, sometimes it will get you some pins. Then theres people that swear the flipped cow patties are ruined and the field can be fucked over by some newbie dickin around in there, yet I dont think its very common for people to actually flip the cow shit upside down on every pattie, because if you go when its prime you will be overcome with excitement upon approaching the pile of shit. What im trying to say is how you harvest the mushroom is important, and its a skill people have to develop.

:bongload:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemolimo140
Hilario

Re: sooooo PNW question [Re: 2859558484]
    #9248129 - 11/15/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well the problem is that once some stupid college kid hears that "magic mushrooms" grow anywhere near where they live (and I have no idea how they find this out) they immediately rush over and pick everything violently in a desperate attempt to get high in some new way.

I wish I knew how this information was spread around, it had to have started somehow.

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #9248535 - 11/15/08 11:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It Is a common occurance to see patches ripped up in public parks.

As far as why they are ripped up, probably has to do with the fact that cyans hold on to the chips when pulled up. People get excited/nervous and don't take time to be carefull.

I have seen patches that look like someone has taken a rake to it, not sure, but that's what it looks like.

People complain on here because people like to complain. It is frustrating to see a patch torn up, but don't stress! There are plenty of woodchips in random locations that don't get noticed.:) I'm sure that every year piles and piles of cyans grow, sporulate, and rot away without even being noticed.

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #9248784 - 11/15/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i know what ya mean wowitch17, down here nobody complains about stuff like that

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9250380 - 11/15/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

On here I always see complaining about their cyan patch getting destroyed.... Is this really that common of a occurance up there?

Yes, it sure is.

Its not so common if you hunt alone, but if you don't hunt alone, its more common than not for the patch to get pretty messed up and not fruit anymore. 

Cyans only like to fruit if the mycelium is undisturbed, if it gets all messed up then it wants to reconnect before it can fruit.  Usually that means not again this season.

Quote:

and then there is the reactionary group of people being anal about how others harvest their cyans. Like how you have to use scissors.

Yea thats really annoying.

Quote:

But really, how common  is it for people to go and rip up the myc bedding of a cyan patch?

Extremely common.

Quote:

We have no such problems down here on the 3rd coast, and I and somewhat baffled by the amount of people on here i see complaining about their patches getting destroyed every year.

Its not a problem for weilii or dung lovers, they fruit from a more spread out area from more wispy mycelium.

With cyans, all the good colonized material tends to come up along with the mushroom.

Some people argue that its best to take this colonized stuff and start new patches.  That is probably true if its done properly, however that still leads to the original patch not fruiting so much. 

Quote:

maybe some sort of animal likes to tear them up, like dogs or something.

That is for sure.  Animals are probably responsible for many patch rape complaints.

I too am pretty tired of hearing people complain about their patches getting raped.  I don't expect it to end any time soon though.  Sorry that you have to put up with that. 

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: sooooo PNW question [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9250567 - 11/15/08 05:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ah fuck thanks for all the great answers everyone, especially alan. When you say that the patch's mycellium strives to unite before it can fruit that makes a lot of sense of why disturbed patches would be seen as raped/destroyed. But are you also saying that the mycellium network has a lot of rhizomorphic strands (is that right, the thick webs?) that hold the top layer together strongly, thus leading to easy disruption of the fruiting area?

I am used to dung lovers i guess, where you can break a piece of shit apart and each will fruit, Ive also seen dung lovers fruiting on the grass under/next to the cowshit.This thread wasnt to complain about people bitching about their patches getting fucked, more of a inquiry into the hunting culture up there because i havent experienced it firsthand. I guess this is just a sad phenomenon :crazy::lol:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: sooooo PNW question [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9251430 - 11/15/08 07:44 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

On here I always see complaining about their cyan patch getting destroyed.... Is this really that common of a occurance up there?

Yes, it sure is.

Its not so common if you hunt alone, but if you don't hunt alone, its more common than not for the patch to get pretty messed up and not fruit anymore. 

Cyans only like to fruit if the mycelium is undisturbed, if it gets all messed up then it wants to reconnect before it can fruit.  Usually that means not again this season.

Quote:

and then there is the reactionary group of people being anal about how others harvest their cyans. Like how you have to use scissors.

Yea thats really annoying.

Quote:

But really, how common  is it for people to go and rip up the myc bedding of a cyan patch?

Extremely common.

Quote:

We have no such problems down here on the 3rd coast, and I and somewhat baffled by the amount of people on here i see complaining about their patches getting destroyed every year.

Its not a problem for weilii or dung lovers, they fruit from a more spread out area from more wispy mycelium.

With cyans, all the good colonized material tends to come up along with the mushroom.

Some people argue that its best to take this colonized stuff and start new patches.  That is probably true if its done properly, however that still leads to the original patch not fruiting so much. 

Quote:

maybe some sort of animal likes to tear them up, like dogs or something.

That is for sure.  Animals are probably responsible for many patch rape complaints.

I too am pretty tired of hearing people complain about their patches getting raped.  I don't expect it to end any time soon though.  Sorry that you have to put up with that. 

Yeah.

It's weird to hear all these stories when you have zero competition.  The only thing I can relate it to are morel hunters in Michigan.  I know they pick "big ones" from time to time, but nothing like other areas, especially the West Coast. I found quite a few 7-9 inchers this year for one reason: NO competition!  I've seen Michganders brag about the dozens they've found.  Most of them are tiny.  You gotta "beat 'em to the punch."  I don't roll that way.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: sooooo PNW question [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9251456 - 11/15/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i had no problem in coos bay in one of my chantarelle spots to go back over areas people had already picked, as they ended up missing every one that wasn't in plain sight. more than half of them grew inconspicuously within the Vaccinium, etc. i've hunted other places where almost every mushroom to be found was uprooted, kicked and/or trampled.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom