Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohndoe33467
Stranger
Incubation
    #9243818 - 11/14/08 12:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, this is my first attempt at BRF cakes(also my first post), everything seems to be going fairly well, Im at the incubation stage, however Im not too satisfied with the conditions, to my understanding the temperature should be higher during incubation for the equadorian strain Im growing.
    Im currently using the cuboard above my refrigerator, Im seeing very slow results and I suspect it is due to the temperature being abit too low. At my house the temperature is always  around 76 degrees farenheit, Is there a way I can increase the temperature in the incubation area alone? any suggestions? Id appreciate it :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation [Re: johndoe33467]
    #9244005 - 11/14/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

76 is too low for incubation. Did you measure the temperature inside the cupboard? If it's 76 in the rest of the house, it's most likely higher in that cupboard. Do you have a thermometer inside the cupboard? What does it say?
For climate control I use a 90W heating cable plugged into a thermostat for my FC, which is a former mobile closet the inside of which I insulated w. styrofoam, and a 15W heating cable w. thermostat for my incubator, which is a former camping cooler.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Edited by German Kahuna (11/14/08 12:43 PM)

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: Incubation [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9244020 - 11/14/08 12:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

76 is just fine for incubation.  it's actually perfect.  that's about what i keep my jars regulated at because my house stays between 58 (night) 65 (day).  and i have no problem's colonizing jars

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation [Re: blood4blood]
    #9244121 - 11/14/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Really? I thought that was like 10 degrees too low (not too low to grow mycelium, but below ideal). I am always confused by Fahrenheit. I thought that 86° F was the ideal temperature for Cubensis mycelium growth.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Edited by German Kahuna (11/14/08 01:09 PM)

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#9244147 - 11/14/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

that's outdated info my friend.  if you look through a few of RR's post's regarding temps for colonization he'll say room temp is fine.  colonizing jars are around 10-15 degrees F warmer on the inside while they are colonizing.

anyways, i know from expierence that right around 74-76 F works great.  not trying to step on your toes man.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9244251 - 11/14/08 01:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't feel stepped on the toes. I am always happy to be enlightened by someone with more experience or better/newer information.

I am keeping my jars at 28°-29° Celsius, which is around 82-85F and the mycelium is growing fast and strong.
So when you start the fruiting process, you don't really change the temperature?

--------------------

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#9244268 - 11/14/08 01:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i do alittle.  i incubate around 76 and the room i fruit in (warmer than the rest of my house) is around 70.

temp drop is one of the lesser of important pinning triggers, if even one at all.  fae is the huge one.

Offlinejohndoe33467
Stranger
    #9244390 - 11/14/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I don't currently have a thermometer, but your probably right, the temperature in there is probably alittle higher, I'm guessing it's taking awhile because of some other mistake I made, it was probably the moisture content, I think I put too much water in the substrate ratio before PC. Also the jars tipped over in the PC probably letting even more water in the jars, I don't know what too mcuh moisture usually results in though.

Oh yeah and on one of my jars the mycelium seems to be growing on the TOP of the jar which seems real unusual, I'm guessing from falling over, But my best guess is this will probably make it pin earlier than its supposed to, but this IS my first time. well thanks for the help so far

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#9244413 - 11/14/08 02:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

none of the info you mentioned above sounds like your going to have much luck at all with.

what ratio did you use for your pf jars?

i havent done cakes in awhile but i think it should be

1 part water

1 part brown rice flour

2 parts verm

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9244421 - 11/14/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

johndoe33467 said:mycelium seems to be growing on the TOP of the jar

What do you mean by that? :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #9244461 - 11/14/08 02:26 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

blood4blood said:
none of the info you mentioned above sounds like your going to have much luck at all with.

what ratio did you use for your pf jars?

i havent done cakes in awhile but i think it should be

1 part water

1 part brown rice flour

2 parts verm

if your jars fell over in the PC there too wet
the one with growth on top is probaly contam
and blood was right on the ratio
its 1/2cup verm
1/3cup water
1/4cup brf
this is for 1 250ml jar(standard 1/2 pint jar
i would redo those jars
also see if you can post a pic

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
Re: Incubation [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9244536 - 11/14/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

how long ago did you inoculate? did you use multi-spore?

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

Offlinejohndoe33467
Stranger
    #9244657 - 11/14/08 03:09 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I guess I got a little wreckless/overconfident with the ratios, thought I could do it by eye. When I say on the top of the jar
I mean on the top of the subtrate where the dry layer of verm was supposed to be, Yeah It could be a contamination, but it's
hard to tell because it's all white. and yeah by the way I did use a multispore, So you guys think I should start over? I'm
starting to think so right about now...

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
    #9244767 - 11/14/08 03:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i would start over but keep the jars u already started just to see what happens....buy a few more jars if poss. ,theyre not that expensive.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

Offlinejohndoe33467
Stranger
    #9244786 - 11/14/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

That's exactly what I was just thinking, I need more jars anyways, more small ones. awsome, alright well thanks soo much everyone you've all been very helpful :laugh: :thumbup:

Offlinegofudgeyourself
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Incubation [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #9244810 - 11/14/08 03:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

incubation is optimal in the high 70s for jars, the internal temp will be higher than the ambient temp outside the jars, above 83 degrees, colonization slows down...keep that in mind if you plan on going any warmer than what you are at now...but what you have is just fine, 76 degrees is fine and any higher would give negligible results in colonization time.

the correct BRF recipe is :

2 parts verm, 1 part water, 1 part BRF.

http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/eddabfdc-97f8-4201-853a-1203531bb169.aspx

good luck with your first grow, welcome to the shroomery community.

--------------------
"believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare."

"turn all the hate in the world, into a mocking bird. make it fly away" :peace:

Edited by gofudgeyourself (11/14/08 03:40 PM)

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
    #9244874 - 11/14/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

johndoe33467 said:
That's exactly what I was just thinking, I need more jars anyways, more small ones. awsome, alright well thanks soo much everyone you've all been very helpful :laugh: :thumbup:

If your going to buy more jars you may want to research using grains instead of the pf method.Dont wanna overload ya with too much info here but grains are easier and produce more when spawned to bulk substrate.
Since you already have verm and brf i guess you may as well use it up and then try the grains.For those youll want pint or quart jars and youll need a pressure cooker.Goodluck with whatever you decide to do:mushroom2:!

--------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

OfflineZep Tepi
Illuminated
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shamballa
Re: Incubation [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #9247140 - 11/15/08 12:23 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Isn't it true that you can break the grain into little bits? Therefore you could exponentially inoculate other jars? Right? I'm a trying brf 4 the 1st time. I think I'm gonna try grain in a few weeks. Just for curiosity.

--------------------
I felt like I was tricked. Having finally standing above everything. Looking down on life. The mystery is going to be reveled. One step at a time, on this path. Harmony...

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Incubation [Re: Zep Tepi]
    #9247150 - 11/15/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Zep Tepi said:
Isn't it true that you can break the grain into little bits? Therefore you could exponentially inoculate other jars? Right? I'm a trying brf 4 the 1st time. I think I'm gonna try grain in a few weeks. Just for curiosity.

watch this look at grain to grain transfers
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineZep Tepi
Illuminated
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shamballa
Re: Incubation [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9247179 - 11/15/08 12:30 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I guess we all know which one is economical. Even if one were limited by space, you could refrigerate inoculated jars. Grain seems more superior than brf tek.

--------------------
I felt like I was tricked. Having finally standing above everything. Looking down on life. The mystery is going to be reveled. One step at a time, on this path. Harmony...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate