Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

A little rH problem....
    #9239415 - 11/13/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so I have about 6 1/2 pint cakes in my shotgun fc. I had no problems keeping the humidity at 95+, but recently I decided to experiment and tried casing a few cakes. I just put the fully colonized casing in the FC, and my humidity cant even get up past 80!!!
It is really annoying and I been scouring this site all day looking up other ways to get the rH up.

One idea I had, but I couldn't find any validation that it works was to get a bubble wand, and put it in a pint size mason jar filled with water. I dont know if that will work or not?

I am thinking maybe I should take the casing out and put it aside. The closet I am growing in has a constant temp of 75F, although I do not know what the rH would need to be for the casing to fruit well...

Ideas anyone??? Other ways to get the rH up in my shotgun fc?  please?? lol thanks in advance.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: Nuzzle]
    #9239505 - 11/13/08 06:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

first of, its cased substrate not casings. Unless your refering to a tray of substrate without a casing layer?> then thats even more wrong.

Anyhow. If you have alot of your perlite covered by the trays, that could be your problem. Rig up some sort of shelf to lift them of the perlite.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9239566 - 11/13/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry bout the mis-wording, I meant 'cased substrate'... And I already thought about that, and I put the tray up on 2 4oz jars... That brought the rh to about 85...

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9239635 - 11/13/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Also check your hygrometer. Its pretty much winter now. ambient rh usually drops in winter time.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#9239638 - 11/13/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Let's not forget that your hygrometer may just not be reading the high humidity.

You can just mist the insides of the FC with a spray bottle with a fine mist to bring up the humidity.  If you want an automated solution you could bury the bubble wands into the water down in the perlite.  Another solution ultra-sonic foggers.  There is absolutely no lack of information on any method of raising humidity imaginable if you do a little searching.

EDIT
Typo  replaced can't for can

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Edited by musher_420 (11/13/08 07:04 PM)

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: musher_420]
    #9239663 - 11/13/08 06:52 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well I did plenty of searching, all I found were solutions that make noise. I dont really wanna hear the sound of an air filter going on all day in my apt if I dont have to. I think I might make a seperate small tub for the trays. My hydrometer was working great until I put the tray in, so I do not think it is that...

Veda, you always seem to be the first to answer man... I dig that... Ya got some +mushrooms coming yer way. thanks :smile:

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: musher_420]
    #9239671 - 11/13/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Nobody mentioned misting the walls for humidity. There shouldnt be any water under the perlite. any perlite covered in water might as well not be there.

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9239691 - 11/13/08 06:54 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have holes on all sides of my chamber, so water at the bottom would just leak right on out. :wink: I thought of that too... I think I might just add another inch or two of damp perlite. hopefully that will do the trick.

--------------------

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9239763 - 11/13/08 07:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What is the ambient RH in your area?  It will lower further in winter with the colder temperatures.

While in the intermountain west (quite dry) maintaining a high RH in the shotgun FC was difficult.

Now in Hawaii: temp. right now is 78 to 80 degrees and ambient RH is 70%.  Maintaining good RH is the shotgun is no problem.

I still mist and fan for the extra 'boost'.

RR and others have recommended running a humidifier in your room to get the ambient RH to 50% as a starting point.  Thicker layer of perlite helps and of course, misting the interior of the FC will help.

Pumping humid air directly into the FC is problematic as the airflow can dry out your substrate.  I think it can be done but you've got to find the "sweet spot" .... between FAE, RH,  ..... I'm sure timers will be involved.

The first question is: What is the ambient RH of your room?

edit: I type slowly .. everyone hit the points ...

--------------------

Edited by uncle_rico (11/13/08 07:04 PM)

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: uncle_rico]
    #9239788 - 11/13/08 07:05 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well I am growing in a closet. which is where I incubate as well.. The ambient in the closet is about 50, while outside its about 30...

I also still fan and mist. however I have a computer fan attached which runs for a full minute about once every 3 hours.

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9239797 - 11/13/08 07:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

also, as far as the weather goes... The temperature has not really gotten that much colder over the past week... If anything over the past 2 days it has been raining, and been quite warm out compared to previous days.

--------------------

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#9239808 - 11/13/08 07:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My bad.. I ment to say you CAN increase the humidity by misting the inside walls of the FC. A silent solution BTW.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9239851 - 11/13/08 07:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe an ultrasonic on a timer they are fairly quiet.(they can really get things wet) ....

First thing calibrate your hygrometer ... do you have a simple, analog ... they are cheap.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-ANALOG

--------------------

Edited by uncle_rico (11/13/08 07:13 PM)

Offlineskaterickets
Musician
Male User Gallery

#9240116 - 11/13/08 07:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Two words: cool mist.
Get one for $30 or less, and not only forget about low rH, but fanning too. I got mine at CVS and switched from perlite to a cool mist and it's working wonders for me.

--------------------

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: skaterickets]
    #9240212 - 11/13/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skaterickets said:
Two words: cool mist.
Get one for $30 or less, and not only forget about low rH, but fanning too. I got mine at CVS and switched from perlite to a cool mist and it's working wonders for me.

What's your whole setup with the cool mist?

OfflineChrisH
Dang ole' dang
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: DIrty south- come on
Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: J3illy]
    #9240410 - 11/13/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

As long as the holes in your fruiting chamber are not lower than the water under your perlite, you should be fine. Perlite wicks moisture into the air so, water under your perlite is GOOD. Back when I used perlite to increase Rh, I never had a problem with low Rh. Mine always stayed at least 97% Rh.

--------------------
Are you sure you want to eat those?:mushroom2:

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: ChrisH]
    #9240670 - 11/13/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

pvc risers are pretty simple.

--------------------

Offlineskaterickets
Musician
Male User Gallery

Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: J3illy]
    #9240829 - 11/13/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
What's your whole setup with the cool mist?

Very Simple, I have a medium size tub, which I set up the holes like a monotub. 3 on 2 sides, 2 on other 2 sides. I cut out a big rectangle on the top lid, and cover it with transparent plastic. I made that for a 6,700k aquarium light. Then I have a vick's cool mist from CVS, was $20, and I modified the outlet with duct tape and a garden hose about a foot long, and I have that placed in one of the holes. The holes are covered with polyfill so I don't have all that humidity escaping and damaging the wood of my precious drum set.

Simple. Effective.

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: A little rH problem.... [Re: skaterickets]
    #9242717 - 11/14/08 06:23 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe... but how loud is the cool mist?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9243134 - 11/14/08 09:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Don't hook up cool mists to a terrarium.  It's been done for many years with horrible results.

If you have five inches of well drained perlite in a shotgun terrarium built per the tek, and your hygrometer reads 80%, it means you need to calibrate it.

When you mist, you're supposed to mist the substrate or cakes, perlite and walls.  In other words, mist everything.  My shotgun terrarium easily maintains 90% or greater even in my high mountain area in winter.  The ambient in my cabin is now around 30%, and the terrarium functions fine.  If yours isn't, you need to calibrate your hygrometer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix