Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSeus
Stranger

Cake thoughts? and more...
    #9226198 - 11/11/08 06:36 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well just wanted to get your guys take on these:

The temp is holding at about 85 degrees and 80% humidity...I think my yield is very low due to the humidity level. I just added the holes on the bottom of my container today, but I think I'll have to go with a PMP for this to really work for me. What are your thoughts?

I have 2 more cakes that are ALMOST ready to be put in the FC, and want to make the PMP if you guys think that it'd help with a much larger yield...

Edited by Seus (11/11/08 06:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Cake thoughts? and more... [Re: Seus]
    #9226226 - 11/11/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What are you using to measure rh and is it calibrated with the damp towel method.

Those cakes look really bruised, which could be a sign of them drying out. Either that or they have been misted heavily.

Your cakes are pinning so i dont think your humidity is as low as that.

Pint sized cakes tend to allow moisture to drain to the bottom due to gravity. Put a spoonful of verm ontop and keep it moist.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleDemonic_Chronic
The Plague Doctress
Trans-female

Loc: PNW Flag
    #9226230 - 11/11/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

you need to drop ur temp to about 75 and get tht humidity UP!
itll do with 80% but optimal is 90+ soo work on that. but good luck and feels good to give life dont it?

DC

--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Offlinehunter4321
Cultivator (Training)
 User Gallery

#9226236 - 11/11/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The temp is too hot, lower it down to 74 or so.  You should see improvements.

--------------------

I have Golden Teacher prints for trade, 2nd generation of a very fast and dense strain,and PES Amazon prints, PM me if you are interested.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cake thoughts? and more... [Re: hunter4321]
    #9226246 - 11/11/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Cubensis is tropical and will fruit at higher temps. 75f though is prefered for fruiting.

Also note that airs ability to hold moisture increases with temperature. So the above advice could help.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

InvisibleDemonic_Chronic
The Plague Doctress
Trans-female

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Cake thoughts? and more... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9226275 - 11/11/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thanks veda for backin me up on that( i think) oh and hey veda, how much room should i leave in between my cakes in the fc like how much room they need.

--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Offlinedrjugglz
Evil ScientistExtraordanaire!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cake thoughts? and more... [Re: hunter4321]
    #9226278 - 11/11/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

if you can lower the temp great - but how do you think they fair in the wild in the mid 80s to 90s?...

try to bring up the humidity by adding a air stone to the perlite. this will actually create a vaporization of the water and hence creating a higher rH. simple science. growing mushrooms isnt that tough once you have the fundementals down.

other than that - the cakes will do fine at 85, but better at 75. i wouldnt worry so much about temperature right as i would about bringing the humidity up.

and as long as there is ambient lighting in the room theyll be fine. theyre not photosensitive and do not NEED light to grow, they need light for direction to grow.

--------------------
“To use your head you have to go out of your mind.”
~ Timothy Leary

Edited by drjugglz (11/11/08 06:48 PM)

OfflineSeus
Stranger

#9226279 - 11/11/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I actually did do the towel method to adjust the gauge last week. So I know it's spot on now...I rolled the cakes in verm...I'm sure I bruised them from that. I did mist heavily...since this is my first time ever doing this, I know i'm going to make some mistakes and learn a lot on the way.

I think i'm going to buy 12 jars from this growers trade post, and inoculate another 12 jars...between growin these and grown my pot, it's a lot of friggin fun....I guess I've always liked science and seeing it in action.

I've got this FC on top of my grow cab...I think I'll try and put it somewhere else...otherwise, do you think the PMP would work better, for RH, and keep the temp down? Also, do you still need a light inside? Nobodies that I've seen show a light..

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9226343 - 11/11/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Whats your ambient rh, if your in a dry climate you will need to use a humidifier in the room to bring it up to around 50%. Which will ensure your own confort too.

Also, how much perlite are you using. 4-5 inches recomended
Do you have holes in the bottom and are they exposed to air.

Taken from www.mushroomvideos.com

he theory of operation for the shotgun mushroom fruiting chamber is that natural air currents travel from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. Cool air has the molecules closer together than warm air, thus cool air is at a slightly higher pressure than warm air. When we put several inches of damp perlite in the bottom of our terrarium, we create an area with a slightly cooler temperature than the air above, which is exposed to lights that create heat, and our mushroom substrates, which are often at up to a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air due to thermogenesis.
terrarium_tek_perlitea
Large Bag of Perlite
terrarium_tek_perlite_2a
Rinsing Perlite
terrarium_tek_perlite_3a
Allow Perlite to Drain Well
terrarium_tek_perlite_4a
Add 3 to 5 Inches of Well Drained Perlite to Terrarium

Click thumbnails to enlarge

This temperature differential, however slight, results in enough of a pressure gradient that it causes air to flow up through the perlite, absorbing moisture as it travels, and into the relatively lower pressure air within the fruiting portion of our fruiting chamber. This air then exits through the holes in the upper section of the terrarium, carrying the excessive CO2 produced by our mycelium out with it. With this design, no electrical or mechanical equipment is required. Regular misting helps to keep our brf cakes or other substrates moist, and also serves to replace the moisture that evaporates from the perlite.
misting_cakes
Misting Cakes after Placing in Terrarium

Click to enlarge

When using this system, drill holes as shown in the pictures and video clip on all six sides. I use a 1/4" (6mm) drill bit. Use of a larger drill bit is not recommended. It must be remembered that a 1/2" hole has four times the area of a 1/4" hole. (A 12 mm hole has four times the area of a 6 mm hole) If the holes are too large, your terrarium will not be able to maintain the high humidity necessary for growing mushrooms.

This system also requires an ambient humidity in your house of 50% or above, which incidentally will ensure your own comfort as well. In desert climates, and especially in cold climates during the winter months, indoor humidity is often very low. If you get shocked from touching another person, or a light switch, etc., after walking across the carpet in your home, it means your humidity is too low. The answer is to run a cool mist humidifier 24/7 in your home. Moist air holds heat much better than dry air, so you'll actually lower your utility bills by doing so. If you'll ensure that the humidity in your growing room is at least 50%, this design terrarium will easily maintain 95% humidity on the inside where your mushrooms need it.

Of course, it should go without saying that for this system to work properly, the terrarium must be elevated at least 1" above the table it's sitting on. Use blocks of wood, shot glasses, or whatever you have around the house to raise the terrarium off the table so air can circulate under it. It should also be noted that 90% of all airborne contaminants in a room are located near the floor, so make sure your terrarium has a home on a table or shelf.

--------------------

OfflineSeus
Stranger

#9226415 - 11/11/08 07:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thx for the info...

See now that I'm in the winter months, my rooms RH is around 25% XD

I think I should switch this out to the PMP method with no holes in the FC. I currently have about 3-4 Inches of Perlite on the bottom. RH is going to be tough in the outside room....because my current humidifier is being utilized for my MJ grow.

Thoughts?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds