Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
New Tek for Straw, Casings, and Manure Pastuerizations
    #91909 - 01/20/00 07:29 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Well... Let me first start off by saying that the reason I developed this tek is because the whole 55 gallon drum and a propane burner was rather scarry to me. And Also cooking manure and casings in the oven not only dried them out, but stunk up the house pretty bad. So here goes

Materials Required:

Whatever material you wish to pastuerize

An Old pillow case(wash first!)

An Ice Chest(I use a 120 Quart Igloo that I picked up for $40 NEW at Sams Club)

A Little bit of some twine(small rope, I use synthetic)

Plastic Drop Cloth for painting

The process:
I'm gonna cover straw, because it varies a little bit from the others. At the end I'll clarify things with the others a little bit...

Day 1
First take your straw and stuff it into the pillow case pack it down as much as possible. You need to leave enough room at the top that you can twirl the pillow case at the top and tie it off with the twine. Now I put this in the ice chest and fill with room temperature water and let soak for 24 hours to germinate endospores.

Day 2
Take the ice chest outside and pull the plug to empty out the water from yesterday, now bring the ice chest in the kitchen, begin boiling water on the stove with as many big pots as you have, add the water to the ice chest until its about full, Then I hold down the pillow case with a 40lb dumbell(since straw likes to float) close the ice chest and leave it alone for about 3 hours, at this point I carry the ice chest into the bathroom(usually takes 2 people) and pull the plug to drain off the water. I then remove the VERY hot bag and put it in the bath tub, and then (with an old pair of shoes on) step on the bag allover until no more water comes out, this is the perfect amount of moisture for straw. I've tested it 8 times with the same results everytime. Now you want to cut the twine off the pillow case and spread the straw out on a drop cloth for rapid cooling, after about 15 minutes or so it should be pretty cool, stick your hand in to make sure theres no hot spots. Then spawn with cakes or rye..your choice...Also another tip is if you have two people you pick up the drop cloth (one on each side) and shake it to distribute the spawn.

Other pastuerizations

Manure: its not neccesary to "pack it" into the pillow case. Also its not neccesary to presoak for 24 hours. I do however let my manure sit in the ice chest for 4 hours cuz I'm paranoid about the shit(no pun intended) you may want to step on the pillow case a little harder with the manure because it needs to be "fluffy" not a brick so you want to get excess moisture out

Casings: Once again, no need to pack it or pre-soak for 24 hours. As with manure I recommend stepping on this alot more to get excess moisture out. Another tip I learned is when you spread it out on the drop cloth you can place a fan blowing on it to dry it out a little bit.

CLEANUP AND RE-USING MATERIALS
Well I just rinse my ice chest out with a hose to clean it up, as far as the pillow cases go, I first remove any excess shit inside and then hand wash them in the sink. After removing most shit from the inside I put them in the washing machine with a cup of bleach to sanitize them for further use. As far as the drop cloths go, I just toss em cuz their only $.50 a piece and well its not worth the trouble to re-use them

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: New Tek for Straw, Casings, and Manure Pastuerizations [Re: Ripper]
    #91910 - 01/20/00 08:25 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

wow looks cool ripper. you're cool. wow.

OfflinePanTrop
enthusiast
Loc: Washington
    #91911 - 01/20/00 03:09 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

hehehe, ripper is very cool, and has seriously impressed me. Rip, as always bud, Keep up the good work. I will be in touch soon.

------------------
"To all the weed I've smoked......yo this blunts for you"

"To all the people I've offended.....Yea, FUCK YOU TOO!
~Quote from Eminem~

~PanTrop~

--------------------
" My mind dont work if my spine dont jerk!"

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91912 - 01/20/00 04:54 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Excellent! Thanks for post.

Anonymous

#91913 - 01/21/00 05:01 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

excellent excellent
keep in it man!!!!!

InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
    #91914 - 01/22/00 08:42 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Guys, Don't let this thread die, its a GREAT TEK! I really wish more of you would opt to work with the ice-chest tek I developed. I feel as though its a great tool in Urban cultivation. Since for the majority of us living inside of a city and using a 55 gallon drum with a propane burner is asking for trouble. PLEASE LET ME KNOW GUYS? Whos trying this? I need some input from others regarding it, I've had great success and would like to pass the same on to others.

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91915 - 01/22/00 09:47 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Ripper,
Ain't lettin' a good thing die! I have always been a big straw fan, even though Ryche not much of a fan of straw, but really thinking there is something to the dung, or straw dung mixtures. As stated in previous posts, have seen terrific results with dung growers in the past. To bad I wasn't more interested in this stuff at the time. Could have learned a lot fron them folks.
Keep keeping folks informed here. Regardless of whether they post or not, I am sure there will be some greatfull people out there!
Peace Always!

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#91916 - 01/22/00 09:48 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 06:07 PM)

Anonymous

#91917 - 01/23/00 04:44 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Ripper-I'm about to soak my straw in my cooler once i can find something to plug up the hole in the cooler, but I have a few questions, do you have to sterilize your shoes that you use to stamp the water out? also, well, that's the only question, so I guess I only had one...
thanks,
Oleander

------------------
I'm only two people away from having a menage a trois!

Anonymous

#91918 - 01/23/00 06:05 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I just read your straw post and It reminded me of a lime bath w/out the lime. This is the same tec that the magic mushroom grow tent guy uses except you substituted a cooler for a trash bag and left out the lime" the most crutcial step". I have tried both methods and encountered green mold more then fruitful flushes. I think people will find that it is easyer to pasteurize straw on a stove.

InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
    #91919 - 01/23/00 07:41 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Oleander: I just washed the shoes off in the sink, its not extremely crucial they're sterile or anything, just that they don't have alot of shit on them. I just took a look at the shoes that I used the last 8 times I've done this, and well..theres some pretty nasty shit on the bottoms.. Guess it just doesn't get through the pillow case very well...

The Alchemist:
"I just read your straw post and It reminded me of a lime bath w/out the lime." I don't see how this reminded you of a lime bath, lime baths do not have boiling water added to them.

"This is the same tec that the magic mushroom grow tent guy uses except you substituted a cooler for a trash bag and left out the lime the most crutcial step." DUDE READ THE TEK. This is nothing like a lime bath. And using an ice-chest vs. a trash bag is a big difference. The ice-chest is used to insulate the straw+water to keep it at the correct temperature.

"I have tried both methods and encountered green mold more then fruitful flushes. I think people will find that it is easyer to pasteurize straw on a stove." OK. YOU NEED TO READ THE TEK AGAIN. That's plain and simple. You're green mold problem is associated with human handling of the straw. I never get Trichoderma because I properly pastuerize the straw using the above tek, and use a waterless hand sanitizer when handling it. I also run HEPA filters which makes a big difference. The tek describes adding boiling water to the ice chest and leaving it for 3 hours.. This is the pastuerization part that I guess you didn't pick up on. Read it again.

Sorry for being a dick. But it upsets me when I can so clearly point out all the neccesary steps(except for how clean the old shoes have to be =P) and yet some person wonders along and bad mouths it! Go figure. I tested this tek with a 100% success rate 8 times before posting it. It works.

Happy Growing!

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91920 - 01/23/00 08:19 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Ripper,
Thanks for all the posts. Think your method a little more thorough than Magic. Just can't get as uniform distribution of heat with garbage bags as cooler method. Have seen it work, though. Same observations on meanie greenies. Usually do to handling. Stove work will be very labor intensive, depending on quantity of medium needed. Also, the most major competitor that I have seen run into is the dreaded cobweb. Still a big staw fan, though.
Just adding some experience to the mix. Like I said before, waiting for a few of ya' all's experience with dung mixes, and possibly straw/dung mixes. Been very interested in posts, lately!
Peace

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited January 23, 2000).]

Anonymous

#91921 - 01/24/00 06:23 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

"DUDE" the only reason I even commented on your post was not to discredit you but to bring something to your attention that I thought people may encounter. the part about pouring boiling water on straw then covering for three hours w/no way to control the temp seems like a Bacteria breeding ground. You never want to boil straw or even expose it to boiling water because of this reason. At least lime would lower the ph of the straw so bacteria would have a hard time blooming and you are right, "mr magic doesn't have people boil water", he has people heat water to 160 degrees to pasteurize in a lime bath. I'm sure your tec works but is it the best tec for the person who has never used straw, I think most would disagree. I simply suggested using a pot on the stove and a laundry bag to pasteurize the straw at a constant 160 degrees for a half hour. This simple tec is the same as Stamets out door 55 gallon tec only a smaller version. At this point, I'm able to Pasteuruze enough straw to cover a 2x3 area 5 inches deep compressed in one large pot and Ask shroom
god , He has seen my set up. Also most people will find all the items needed at home so they can save alot of cash :biggrin:. One other thing you posted was "also cooking manure and casings in the oven not only dried them out, but stunk up the house pretty bag" gave me and the local fungal alchemist the laugh of the day but you must understand that were a bunch of oldschool composters and the thought of putting shit in a oven and pasteurizing a casing just seems a little backwards. Have a nice day ripper

InvisiblePrellgott
addict
    #91922 - 01/24/00 07:03 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

so Alchimist you would suggest not to sterilize compost and straw and what about manure?
would cooking Manure(horse shit)/straw in a p.cooker destroy it?
can`t I simply mix some manure/straw/vermiculite/brf or rye put it in a jar, p. cook and innoculate with a syringe?
I am a manure newbie, so any advice is wellcome
I am trying cow manure compost right now and haven`t sterilized it and it`s growing and I have no contams so far....
thanx you "shit-experts"
B.T.W my sister and my girlfriend have horses
so I got enough shit to play with....
anyone ever innoculated a mountain of straw and horse shit? that`s what I will try in spring....

--------------------
i'm back

Anonymous

#91923 - 01/24/00 11:16 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I have discovered over the years that compost is the most perfect substrate to grow fungi on. I start a few piles in the spring w/the following ingredients in each. Ten bails of straw, 20 gallons of horse shit, 20 lbs Gypsum and ten lbs of cotton seed meal. Mix all together and wet evenly. Now windrow the piles and turn them every three days for a month only adding water to keep it damp. Since I currently do not own a phase 2 pasteurization room, I just use the core of the piles for shrooms and the rest for vegtables. Every thing should be fine as long as the core is heated up to 180 degrees for a few hours. Now regarding the oven, I use it to check moisture levels in compost and casing but never to pastuerize.I tried a pressure cooker once and the growth was very slow compared to the unpasteurized and I always use a hot water bath to pasteurize straw. Well Prellgrot, that is about all I can answer of your question. Later

[This message has been edited by The Alchemist (edited January 25, 2000).]

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#91924 - 01/24/00 08:42 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 06:08 PM)

Anonymous

#91925 - 01/25/00 04:49 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

ryche, the only reason I use the core is because I don't have a phase two room. So to pastuerize the compost, I have to count on thermal heat and the warmest part of a pile is the core. It is very important that the core is between 150-180 degrees so all the bugs are dead and at these temps, bacteria is in limbo for the most part. I'm working on a new compost tec right now and if you like it, post it on your sight. Have a nice day :smile:

Offlinelares
    #91926 - 01/26/00 03:38 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I'd suggest *someone* submit this as a permanent tek to be added to the 'find or grow them' section of the main site.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

Invisibleloppo
Re: New Tek for Straw, Casings, and Manure Pastuerizations [Re: lares]
    #310300 - 05/06/01 02:22 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Just bumping this back up...

InvisibleDirtmaster
addict
Re: New Tek for Straw, Casings, and Manure Pastuerizations [Re: loppo]
    #310422 - 05/06/01 09:30 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

post deleted cause i noticed the date...

Edited by Dirtmaster on 05/06/01 11:33 AM.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures