Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenerol
regnarts
Male

looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer...
    #9187382 - 11/05/08 06:08 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i've killed 2 digital thermometer/humidity gauge things... and currently have a completely inaccurate analogue one... the temp reads too low and the humidity reads too high... can anyone recommend a decent and accurate sollution? doesnt have to be a two in one either dont mind buying them indavidually... :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: nerol]
    #9187386 - 11/05/08 06:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Dont bother using digital hygrometers. There crap as you have experienced. Even ones with external sensors arnt acurate. Mines will only ever get as high as 96% and doesnt give consistant readings.

You want an analogue hygrometer that can be calibrated. They need to be calibrated because they are only accurate of a small range. YOu use salt to calibrate for the 70% range, or a damp towel to calibrate for the 90% range.

Wrap it in a damp towel for 1 hour and adjust to read 99%.

cigar shops usually sell decent hygrometers

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Edited by veda_sticks (11/05/08 06:14 AM)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9187394 - 11/05/08 06:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This should do the trick.

Analog Hygrometer

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: Spongiform]
    #9187398 - 11/05/08 06:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The hygrometer feels very flimsy and cheap. When you calibrate it sometimes the entire face of the hygrometer will move along with the needle. After calibration I remove the screwdriver and the needle suddenly move 5 degrees off. I had a lot of trouble having the needle stick to the desired calibration point. As I am writing this review, the humidity in my room reads 83% from several sources and the hygrometer gives me a value of 68%. If you're looking for a hygrometer that is accurate and easy to calibrate, this is definitely not what you're looking for.

That was what 1 person said about it, maybe it was just that 1 unit that was a bit dodgy.

Another person said that after a year it got stuck at 65%

Theres no harm in trying it, its on $5

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Offlinenerol
regnarts
Male

Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9187412 - 11/05/08 06:29 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

hmm well i dont mind spending out more for decent quaity in any way...
but that said perhaps some of my issue is with calibration... my current analogue thing reads that it is about 110% humidity :smile:
so how damp is damp? like soak a towel and ring it out?
regardless... ill check around cigar shops and see what i find as well...

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: nerol]
    #9187418 - 11/05/08 06:32 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yep wet towel and wring it out.

110% lol it would be raining in your fruiting chamber if that were true. lol

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #9187446 - 11/05/08 06:45 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

11 out of the 15 reviews were 5 star, usually means it's good ;-D

Offlinenerol
regnarts
Male

Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: Spongiform]
    #9187459 - 11/05/08 06:52 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

heh... at 110 indeed it would be :smile:
i cant change anything on the one i have so i guess it is to the trash with it as well lol...
thanks for the input... ill search around for something that can A be calibrated and B seems quality enough to withstand life in a wet plastic box :smile: also 11/15 at 5$ is well worth a test ill check into that as well...

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9187488 - 11/05/08 07:15 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

its a pain they dont sell those in the uk, maybe i can get it shipped from the us. If it lasts a year its worth buying a few of them.

Alternatlivly check cigar shops, they sell for around $20 dollars i think and are good.

--------------------

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #9187603 - 11/05/08 08:12 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

http://humidorswholesaler.com/products.php/item_id/2716

this is exactly what i use, i can personally vouch that this is a damn good hygrometer.  it keeps its calibration week after week month after month.  ive used mine for well over a yr now.  and there on sale.  i can also vouch that the ones mentioned above in that link are GARBAGE!!!  i ordered 6 of them because of their price.  when you try to set the gauge to 99% after being in the towel for a 1/2 hr the needle bounces all over the place, it is damn near impossible to set that thing to the proper reading which makes it pretty much useless.  and their attached with magnets!  how long do you think a sticky surface and a magnet will stay in an enviroment with a 95+ humidity?

EDIT:  nevermind that bad comment somebody left.  they dont use these for the purposes we do.  trust me this is a good hygrometer!

Edited by blood4blood (11/05/08 08:17 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: blood4blood]
    #9187621 - 11/05/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i thought as much. you get what you pay for. thanks for the link :-)

--------------------

Offlinenerol
regnarts
Male

#9187770 - 11/05/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

wow.. nice!
indeed thanks for the link... i'll totally follow up on that... honestly i am more inclined to spend more for something that someone is vouching on... :smile:

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #9187821 - 11/05/08 09:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

no problem, you wont be dissappointed.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: blood4blood]
    #9188051 - 11/05/08 10:20 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Regarding hygrometers.. I did alot of reading up on them a few weeks ago.. Now here's how it works - the best are definitely analog that use a hair.. But not ALL analogs use a hair - the cheap ones for $10-20 for the most part use a spring/coil mechanism.. Even though this isn't the greatest - it's still usually better than a digital as long as you calibrate.. And don't think ALL digitals are crap.. Some of them are actually decent, but plan on spending around $50 - I've seen some here get solid results w/ a Taylor digital.. Now back to the hair hygrometers - these are really the best, but again - expensive.. Here's a link to a hair hygrometer, and I'd say it's the most accurate you'll get for under $100, cuz that's how much the REAL good Abbeon german ones cost..

http://www.robertwhite.com/cgi-local/shop.pl?type=item&item=ba410&categ=rw_thermo_hygrometers&nav_bar=weather

And here's some info I found, by someone well-versed in hygrometers.. It just says that no matter what..

Quote:

I have the unfortunate "baggage" of having extensive experience in calibration of hygrometers. So since it appears this is a reference instrument, I'll avoid the technical descriptions of the various methods.

I'll simply say to beware of a single point calibration of a hygrometer. They are infamous for linearity issues. One particular model transmitter I cal has about four adjustments to linearize the scale, and some brands of humidity chart recorders accuracy specs degrade depending on what humidity level you measure.

Another simple method to check it is with desiccant. I experimented with some recently and found I needed a VERY GOOD seal to make it work. You can place the probe NEAR (not in) desiccant, in a sealed container, wait a few hours to stabilize, and use that to verify close to zero %RH.

And one further "soap box" while I'm on the topic... Also, beware of psychrometers (wet bulb/dry bulb liquid-in-glass thermometers with a fan motor and conversion chart). I've found they are not as accurate as many believe.

So, it's just really important to calibrate your hygrometer for the range we're working with at the high end.. For the "damp towel" test, I've seen to set it from 95%-99%.. The lower you set it to, the more unlikely that you'll ever see it ABOVE that reading - so just stick with 99 I'd say.. Another way to test it out in this range is to turn your shower on as hot as it'll go.. Bring the hygrometer right into the steam for 5-10 minutes, and it should definitely read in the high 90's..

Offlinenerol
regnarts
Male

Re: looking for a recommendation for a decent thermometer/humidity gauge/hygrometer... [Re: J3illy]
    #9188266 - 11/05/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

omg! the appearance of the abbeon ones kinda make me drool a little :smile: certainly the rolls royce of the hygrometer family... thanks for the added input...

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9188311 - 11/05/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

No problem.. I was just really curious about them and found myself researching on google, haha.. And what I found is measuring humidity is something that has NOT been mastered yet! Something about it just makes it difficult and somewhat unreliable.. Even spending $100+ those are still gonna say +/- 2%, never perfect..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix