Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarri

How much spore solution should be injected?
    #9172169 - 11/02/08 12:09 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Im using a MadSeason growbag and a Lil shop of spores spore syringe, I was gonna use 4 cc's of spore solution but I'm afraid i will throw the water content off, so should I do like 3.5 cc's or something just to be safe or what? The temperature in my house is like between 73-75 degrees Fahrenheit and I have Psilocybe cubensis B+ spores. How much should I use? and I'm uncertain which part of the bag is the best place to inject the spores, like right in the middle of the bag or around the sides, but will it get all around if i do this? I know to inject through the black disk but what region inside of the bag should I release the spores

Edited by Harri (11/02/08 12:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: How much spore solution should be injected? [Re: Harri]
    #9172174 - 11/02/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

1-2 cc is enough. There's no advantage in pumping excess amount of spores in your substrate.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: How much spore solution should be injected? [Re: dead]
    #9172179 - 11/02/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I used 3-4.. no more than 5 tho

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9172187 - 11/02/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Harri said:
which place is the place to inject the spores

If the bag has an injection port, then that is the place. There's no need for the spore solution to get "all around" the substrate, you only need 2 spores to germinate, and the spores must be close enough to each other to be able to do that. Thus you don't want to mix / massage the bag right after inoculation, only do that when the substrate is 30% colonized.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9172191 - 11/02/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Try and inject it right along the plastic on the sides.. And dont inject all 3-4cc in one spot - inject 1/2 on each side..

Edited by J3illy (11/02/08 12:18 PM)

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: How much spore solution should be injected? [Re: J3illy]
    #9172198 - 11/02/08 12:19 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Try and inject it right along the plastic on the sides.. And dont inject all 3-4cc in one spot - inject 1/2 on each side..

Actually, with bags or grain jars I would inoculate in one spot, then shake (jar) or massage (bag) at 30% inoculation.

--------------------

Links:

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9172207 - 11/02/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You also said 1-2cc, which is good for 1 spot..  If you're gonna do 3-4cc, it's not good to have all that moisture in 1 spot..

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9172243 - 11/02/08 12:30 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
You also said 1-2cc, which is good for 1 spot..  If you're gonna do 3-4cc, it's not good to have all that moisture in 1 spot..

Also what's the point of injecting that much spore solution to a single substrate? LC would be understandable... but spores? I'd think it would have too much spores, which would be counter-productive for colonization.

--------------------

Links:

InvisibleHarri

#9172250 - 11/02/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well thnx this will help out alot

InvisibleHarri

#9172260 - 11/02/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
Quote:

J3illy said:

Also what's the point of injecting that much spore solution to a single substrate? LC would be understandable... but spores? I'd think it would have too much spores, which would be counter-productive for colonization.

So should I inject around 1.5 to 2.5 in the middle or on one side of the bag?

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9172310 - 11/02/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Inject 1-2cc in one side. The side is better, you will be able to see the colonization better. If there is an inoculation port, use it. Then when it is 30% colonized, you can massage the bag.

--------------------

Links:

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

#9172317 - 11/02/08 12:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Assuming this is a non grain substrate(WBS, Rye, etc)...

There isn't a point, its not a great idea to have excess genetic variation. You only need enough spores in the substrate to successfully germinate into mycelium. However, faster colonization is better for a variety of reasons, and you can get that though other ways. I would suggest multiple inoculation sites.

From the sounds of it, you have a injection port, Use standard sterile procedures and inoculate though the port.
Hopefully you have enough room left inside that you can inject a little bit of spore solution into multiple areas though the port by moving the bag around.

Let set until fully colonized. If you shake it this shocks the mycelium and it takes a while before it starts to grow again, actually slowing down the colonization process.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9172330 - 11/02/08 12:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:

I've seen many recommendations for doing both sides, why not do it? If you have it growing from both sides, and you're gonna end up mixing the bag anyways, I see no harm in it.. If both injection sites work all you're gonna have is faster total colonization I'd think..

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: How much spore solution should be injected? [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #9172339 - 11/02/08 12:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

alkylbenzene23 said:
I would suggest multiple inoculation sites.

Exactly.. The PF tek uses 4 inoculation sites per 1/2 pint jar... So why would you wanna use just 1 in a bag w/ way more substrate..

InvisibleHarri

#9172455 - 11/02/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The bag I'm using is from The MadSeason so you can get details about it there, and the spore syringe is from Lil shop of spores if that narrows it down abit

InvisibleHarri

#9172463 - 11/02/08 01:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
Inject 1-2cc in one side. The side is better, you will be able to see the colonization better. If there is an inoculation port, use it. Then when it is 30% colonized, you can massage the bag.

When I message it, how do I know when I have messaged it enough?

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9172486 - 11/02/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have the same exact bags, and your spores should be OK.. Do you have alcohol wipes? If not get some alcohol and some cottonballs, napkins, anything really.. Now you wanna do this in as sterile environment as can be.. Then sterilize the area where you're doing it.. Spray alcohol or bleach solution and clean it good.. If you have lysol or oust spray the area.. It's best to also shower and have clean clothes on, and latex gloves.. If not, make sure you're as clean as possible and sterilze your hands w/ alcohol..

Onto the injection.. Clean the injection port w/ an alcohol swab/wipe and leave it on there.. When you take the cap off the needle immediately cover it w/ an alcohol soaked wipe/napkin.. Quickly inject the needle into the port at an angle to 1 side and push it all the way in.. Now pull the needle towards yourself, and you'll see it emerge outta the substrate, right next to the plastic.. Inject 1-2cc, and start pulling the needle out.. As it emerges outta the port I still had it wrapped w/ an alcohol wipe.. Don't pull it out all the way, rather go to the other side of the bag, and do the same exact procedure w/ 1-2cc in the opposite spot.. People also say to flame sterilze the needle w/ a flame - but my needle was brand new just out of the sterile packaging, so I skipped this step as it was brand new.. Just make sure you're wiping the injection port and needle w/ alcohol tho!

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9172505 - 11/02/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Harri said:
When I message it, how do I know when I have messaged it enough?

Do NOT massage the bag until it is at least 30% colonized w/ white growth.. This will not be for at least a couple weeks.. Just massage it so you see the white mycellium breaking up and mixing w/ the uncolonized substrate.. You just want the mixing to be as even as possible, so the rest of the substrate can colonize quickly.. Don't massage the bag after you inoculate it - and only massage it BEFORE if the bag is hard like a brick.. My TMS bags didn't need it, as they were fresh, moist, and already a consistency of potting-soil..

InvisibleHarri

#9172723 - 11/02/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i messaged my TMS bag alittle so its kinda loose is this ok or did i make a big mistake?

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9172744 - 11/02/08 02:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Before inoculation is fine.. It's not advised to do it after inoculation, but regardless, do not massage it again till the bag is at least 30% colonized..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures