Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebtb103
Stranger
 User Gallery

Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures)
    #9131448 - 10/25/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Last week I moved three fully colonized, uncased Z-strain coir-castings tubs into my greenhouse. I've been having a lot of trouble lately dialing in my greenhouse and am getting really frustrated by it.

I'm using a Vicks V420 for the first time and am finding it a lot different from my previous wick-based humidifier. The surface of my substrate is beginning to yellow, and areas of condensation on the greenhouse walls are also yellowing. The substrate in general looks unhealthy and perhaps overlayed. It's been seven days and there are no signs of primordia or pins. A monotub of the same strain that I began fruiting at the same time is already pinning.

First of all, what could be causing the mycelium to turn yellow? What property of my water would be causing that and is it damaging to the mycelium?

Second of all, what causes overlay, exactly? The edge of my monotub that receives airflow from a circulating fan in the room also shows the same kind of growth so I feel it may have something to do with drying out or something. But I've also maintained 90+% humidity so I don't know. I decided to go uncased this time around for simplicity's sake but it seems to be more sensitive.

Here are some photos:

Tub 1

Tub 2

Tub three looks like tub 2.

Help!

--------------------
In bewilderment, I realized I am the endless sea.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: btb103]
    #9131464 - 10/25/08 12:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

it looks like green mold in the second picter but I'm guessing its bruising due to the first picture. my guess is to much water dripping onto the surface. the yellowing is metabolites. there are many reasons why people say they form.my guess is it has something to do with the bruising.

edit- are you working with an albno strain those blue dots look like aborted albinos.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

Edited by grod31 (10/25/08 12:05 PM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: btb103]
    #9131472 - 10/25/08 12:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Bummer. Get rid of them and clean.

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinebtb103
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: KaptKid]
    #9131485 - 10/25/08 12:07 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

There's no trichoderma (green mold), though the pictures may look like it. I really don't think it's contamination or metabolites. I have plenty of experience with metabolites and they don't appear to "stain" the mycelium like whatever's happening here.

--------------------

OfflineLothario
Lovable
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the middle
    #9131652 - 10/25/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Get your humidity up to 99%. You can't really overdo it if you have enough FAE. You could supplement with an ultrasonic. You can be sure of the humidity with a mason's hygrometer.

Edit: No such thing as overlay uncased. Yellowing is probably drying/metabolites.

Edited by Lothario (10/25/08 12:44 PM)

Offlinenastea
Captain Obvious
Male

Loc: Mars
Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: Lothario]
    #9132249 - 10/25/08 02:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hrmm not sure due to the fact you say its on your walls, although it could be the spores. There are a few yellow molds out there, one of them being highly dangerous to humans.

--------------------
Commonly asked questions that have been answered far too many times.

PF Tek Videos
NOOB? Then read this
Grow Bag Pointers
Hygrometer Calibration
Incubation Temperatures
Best lighting source
Contaminants
Grow Guides

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: nastea]
    #9132682 - 10/25/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Your substrates are too dry.  Dunk them overnight and return to fruiting conditions.  Either get your greenhouse humidity up to the upper 90s or lay a sheet of wax paper over each tray to hold in the humidity.  Lift it up several times per day to air out the tray and mist.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebtb103
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9133108 - 10/25/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks RR. Got em dunkin now. Hopefully I can keep the RH better this time around.

--------------------

Offlinebtb103
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9176939 - 11/03/08 10:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well they recovered, more or less. I pulled about 1200 wet grams from the three tubs combined. Most of the pinning took place from the sides and edges. Got a few monstrous clusters.

One of the tubs contaminated and I figured the others would eventually so I just tossed all three subs. I'm happy with one good flush.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9176995 - 11/03/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

btb103 said:
Well they recovered, more or less. I pulled about 1200 wet grams from the three tubs combined. Most of the pinning took place from the sides and edges. Got a few monstrous clusters.

One of the tubs contaminated and I figured the others would eventually so I just tossed all three subs. I'm happy with one good flush.

Well, that is 120g dry or 40 3g trips, so yeah, I'd be happy too. That would last me a couple of years at least.

You'll find out soon that if you enjoy this hobby you will end up with way more mushrooms that you could ever eat.

I end up throwing many away, lol.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinebtb103
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Yellowing of substrate surface? Uncased tubs in greenhouse (pictures) [Re: Nibin]
    #9177387 - 11/03/08 12:30 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Quote:

btb103 said:

Well, that is 120g dry or 40 3g trips, so yeah, I'd be happy too. That would last me a couple of years at least.

You'll find out soon that if you enjoy this hobby you will end up with way more mushrooms that you could ever eat.

I end up throwing many away, lol.

Yeah I know what you mean. I pulled about 5.5 dry oz off of a monotub last week... which also succumbed to trichoderma after the first flush and was trashed. But 10+ oz harvested within a week is definitely PLENTY. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains