Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Transferring Mycobag substrate to FC
    #9128705 - 10/24/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Im starting my 1st grow w/ Mycobags next week - and the first 2 Im gonna fruit in-vitro, for the 1st flush anyway.. The next 2 Id like to fruit in a Shotgun tub.. Now what is the best vs. easiest way to do this? For an easy method could you just transfer the cake right to the FC? Id imagine dunking would be beneficial - would you roll it in vermiculite? Now for a better method, Id imagine you guys would suggest spawning it to coir or something of the sort? And probably casing?

Since its my 1st grow I dont really wanna get into anything to complicated, but Id like to hear a solid easy method for fruiting the Mycobag substrate in a Shotgun tub..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejellybrain
shroomer
Male

Re: Transferring Mycobag substrate to FC [Re: J3illy]
    #9128769 - 10/24/08 07:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Personally, I took mine out of the bag, used a styrofoam cooler as a chamber, plastic over the top with thumb tacks...cut a hole in the side covered with layers of gauze and med-tape...dunk and roll....it was pinning within a week....very low tech and there are probably ARE better ways of doing it...I'm a noob....If you  take it out of the bag make sure it is totally colonized (it should hold together)...good luck and pics are always great to see if you got a camera...jb

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Transferring Mycobag substrate to FC [Re: jellybrain]
    #9128804 - 10/24/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So after full colonization a dunk and roll in some dry verm, and you were good to go? What did you end up harvesting off 1 bag? I'll def be posting pics once everything is up and running..

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9133085 - 10/25/08 05:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So after some research - I'm down to 2 possible techniques:  The 1st seems like the easiest - just dunking a fully colonized mycobag block, rolling in dry verm, then misting.. The 2nd would be breaking the block up and mixing w/ coir [w/ some coffee grounds].. Now can you guys advise on which would be more successful? easier? more likely to contam & mess up?

Offlinenowai
Emo Slayer
 User Gallery

#9133152 - 10/25/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well...
The first method of dunking and rolling is pretty much contam free assuming you practice basic sterility as the myc has fully colonized the substrate.

The second method, would be spawning to bulk giving you more substrate/nutes and the ability to get a bigger yield. There is risk however when spawning to bulk, because you are weakening the myc for a short period while it recovers and grabs hold to the new bulk substrate. Giving contams a small window to take hold. I however would spawn to bulk with atleast 1 of the myco bags even if you lose that one you still got the others.

Just make sure to keep everything as sterile as possible, Wipe everything down with alcohol that the substrate is going to be in contact with..  IE: The container its going in, Turn off fans make the best still air enviroment you can. Spray the hell out of the air in that room with lysol/oust then start preparing your bulk substrate. Spray that room again before you're ready to mix it all up this should reduce your risk of contams a good bit.

--------------------
Be careful in dealing with a man who cares nothing for sensual pleasures, nothing for comfort, or praise or promotion, but is simply determined to do what he believes to be right. He is dangerous and an uncomfortable enemy because his body which you can always conquer gives you little purchase over his soul.
-Mahatma Gandhi

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Transferring Mycobag substrate to FC [Re: nowai]
    #9133398 - 10/25/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the info.. Anyone else have  experience w/ transferring Mycobags to an FC?

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9133622 - 10/25/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Placing a grow bag in an FC is virtually identical to putting  a cake in an FC. You don't need any special "tek" for it. Treat it just like you would a cake. Likewise, when spawning a grow bag to a bulk substrate, you would treat it the same as a jar of spawn. Try to guesstimate a 1:4 ratio of gow bag sub to bulk sub.

Personally, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between fruiting invitro with bags versus fruiting it as a cake. If you're taking it out of the bag, it should be to spawn to a bulk sub IMO.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Transferring Mycobag substrate to FC [Re: FooMan]
    #9134004 - 10/25/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FooMan said:
Placing a grow bag in an FC is virtually identical to putting  a cake in an FC. You don't need any special "tek" for it. Treat it just like you would a cake. Likewise, when spawning a grow bag to a bulk substrate, you would treat it the same as a jar of spawn. Try to guesstimate a 1:4 ratio of gow bag sub to bulk sub.

Personally, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between fruiting invitro with bags versus fruiting it as a cake. If you're taking it out of the bag, it should be to spawn to a bulk sub IMO.

I would totally agree with that statement.
Bags have never done me wrong.

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Transferring Mycobag substrate to FC [Re: P.Menace]
    #9134089 - 10/25/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Cool, thanks guys.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate