Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejrock1019
The Not So Spotless Mind

Loc: Lights in the Sky
Saving Hydrated Coir
    #9128615 - 10/24/08 07:15 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, so I made too much coir and will not be able to use it all. Is there anyway I can save it and what would be the best (sterile way) to save and in the future re-use it? Thanks!

Peace
JRock

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: jrock1019]
    #9128647 - 10/24/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

how long is "future"

--------------------

Invisiblejrock1019
The Not So Spotless Mind

Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: djmako7]
    #9128654 - 10/24/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Future equals 2-4 days probably.

--------------------

Offlinedothedew69
Relearning
 User Gallery

#9128675 - 10/24/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well just store it in a large plastic container. If you store it, it will more than likely get some sort of contamination. Plus you will definitely want to pasteurize it again if you plan to store it unless you have a sterile room. I have all my bulk supplies in plastic containers, mix in one big container, load into jars, pasteurize at 160 degrees for 90min.

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: dothedew69]
    #9128766 - 10/24/08 07:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dothedew69 said:
Well just store it in a large plastic container. If you store it, it will more than likely get some sort of contamination. Plus you will definitely want to pasteurize it again if you plan to store it unless you have a sterile room. I have all my bulk supplies in plastic containers, mix in one big container, load into jars, pasteurize at 160 degrees for 90min.

Sterile room or not, pasteurize. Plus, the rooms I've seen on this forum are anything but sterile.

If you want to save it long term hydrated, stick in in the freezer, otherwise spread it out as thin as you can and let the water evaporate, storing it dry.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

Invisiblejrock1019
The Not So Spotless Mind

#9128789 - 10/24/08 08:05 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome, thanks! I pasteurized the coir originally with boiling hot water that sat in a bucket for 3+ hours and eventually cooled because the top was covered, so transfering them to jars will be easy.

Peace
JRock

--------------------

Offlinedothedew69
Relearning
 User Gallery

#9128874 - 10/24/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Still pasteurize it. Better to be safe than sorry. As for storing it dry it can be moist or maybe I am just lucky. I had left over coir in my 60gallon container and I mixed it with gypsum and coffee that was also a bit moist (spent coffee tends to be that way). Pasteurized and good to go, no contams yet.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9129200 - 10/24/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I've had hydrated coir saved in a closed Rubbermaid tub for a few months, but I pillowcase pasteurize my subs after they are mixed anyway. For some types of coir for some people it just don't contaminate even when hydrated, it's probibly the most noob friendly bulk material for this reason (though some have salts in them that prevent colonization) and frankly it's nice to have a sub material that is this cooperative.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9129240 - 10/24/08 10:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I've stored  fully hydrated, pasteurized coir  by using a Food Saver and putting it in the freezer.  When ready to use again, I just fully thaw and mix it with the new Coir that I'm about to pasteurize.  Yes, I re-pasteurized it, but I'm talking several months in the freezer.  Works perfect for me.  I use the hell out of my Food Saver in this hobby.  There are many ways to use that wonderful machine.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisibleunknown28
Chill

Loc: Midwest Swanging
Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9129965 - 10/25/08 01:15 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well I usually mix my coir mixture (coir, verm, and lime) and I store in a rubbermaid container sometimes for weeks sometimes for months. If using for casing layer like I, a simple 30min cycle in the PC is suffient. And if I dont use it all I dump it back in the rubbermaid with the rest. And Pc again when ready to use.

--------------------
Strains For Trade!!! B+, Hawaiian, Oakridge,Texas

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: unknown28]
    #9131501 - 10/25/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

unknown28 said:
Well I usually mix my coir mixture (coir, verm, and lime) and I store in a rubbermaid container sometimes for weeks sometimes for months. If using for casing layer like I, a simple 30min cycle in the PC is suffient. And if I dont use it all I dump it back in the rubbermaid with the rest. And Pc again when ready to use.

You don't want to sterilize a bulk substrate or a casing layer, you want to pasteurize it. Sterilizing it will increase your chance of contamination.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Saving Hydrated Coir [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #9131806 - 10/25/08 01:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I would personally never use coir as a casing either. It holds less water:volume than peat, but I get tonnes of peat for free from work so...

However I am suspicious that coir casings are the ones that cause overlay. Just my shot in the dark suspicion though.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds