Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineuseful_idiot
Doctor
Loc: ND
Green Mold / Should I give up?
    #911543 - 09/27/02 03:28 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ok
I just made another attempt at the PF-Tek with EQs a week ago.
After checking them today, 4 out of the 10 jars had big spots of green on them. So now I have disposed of said 4 jars and have 6 of them left, all which have big patches of white on them and no green that I can see.
I really have no confidence that they will not be turning green in the near future as this is my 3rd attempt and the previous 2 have ended in massive amounts of green all around.
I've gotten increasingly better in terms of cleanliness since my first try, and it seems to make no difference. I've followed every word of the PF-Tek, plus any sterility tips that I could find here. I also used the oven-tek.
Immediately after innoculating I put them back into the box that the jars came in and let them sit for a week. I was extremely careful not to breathe in them or handle them everyday, etc.

My question is, should I even continue to attempt to grow anything here, or are some houses just impossible to do it in because of the contaminants around or something?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMac

Re: Green Mold / Should I give up? [Re: useful_idiot]
    #913211 - 09/27/02 07:17 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't give up. Could be a syringe problem. Hard to say. From what I have read on the posts, almost everyone had been hit with green at one time or another. I would do more jars with different syringe and see if that works. I always make a few extra jars to allow for a few losses, hoping to get better at it myself, still a newbie and learning with every batch. Good luck

Offlineuseful_idiot
Doctor
Loc: ND
Re: Green Mold / Should I give up? [Re: Mac]
    #918663 - 09/30/02 02:51 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for replying
Well, I've used a different syringe each time, so I dunno if it is the syringe. I bought the syringes from one of the highly-regarded vendors and I never see any complaints about them so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

I'm thinking it's more likely something I'm doing wrong or just the environment I do the work in. I've followed the pf-tek pretty much perfectly, but I lack a pressure cooker, so I'm using the pot method. I'm pretty much assuming that is my problem, as every jar I've done has gotten the green in it. It would seem they are not getting sterilzed well enough. Is 1.5 hours not long enough?

I also did the dry verm layer plus the ramsey seal, and I put the tape over the holes like you're supposed to do. So anything getting in there from the top seems not likely. To me at least.

I've got 1 syringe left, so I'll probably give it another try and if I dont get anything from this batch, I'll just quit for a while. I can't really afford to keep buying more spores for nothing.

Invisiblejjojoba
x
Re: Green Mold / Should I give up? [Re: useful_idiot]
    #919580 - 09/30/02 02:13 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I lost half of my first batch because of (I think) too much moisture in the jars. If your substrate looks mushy inside the jar, that's bad. Just something else to check.

-Jojoba

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules