Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescubabuddha
friend of a friend of a friend
Male

Loc: Boulder, CO
got my spores, time to start... need some advice
    #9100835 - 10/19/08 05:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

so i got my spores yesterday. 4 malabars from ralphsters and he threw in a free b+ syringe. they came exactly a week after the money went out. thanks man :laugh:

anyway, i have everything i think i need to do a sterile inoculation but i want to make sure. i guess from the start, the first thing to do is prepare the grain, fill the jars, cover with aluminum foil, pc for 90 minutes@15psi, allow to cool and inoculate.

I'm doing polyfill jar lids

first question is in regard to pressure cooking. i'm (stupidly) using half-pint jars, but i bought them already and they'll colonize faster i hope. anyway, i can only get 4 into the pressure cooker on one level. Can i stack them? if i stack them, i can get 8. How high should the water be?

second is on inoculating procedure. i don't have a glovebox, but i have a clean bathroom with all hard surfaces. i also found this: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5943734#5943734 which i'm prepared to do. Does that seem like it will be an appropriately sterile inoculation?

third, this is how i'm doing my substrate. cracked corn is what i could get, so it's what i have. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9067411/an/0/page/0 I'm not sure where i found that tek first, but i didn't write it.

thanks. i'm really stoked to get started :mushroom2::mushroom2::stoned:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: scubabuddha]
    #9100847 - 10/19/08 05:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Seriously make yourself a glovebox, cheap and effective. Bathrooms are the worst places to use.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9100878 - 10/19/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have never used a glovebox, but it's recommended. Just be sure to spray down your room with Lysol, or an alcohol water mixture.

--------------------

Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9100881 - 10/19/08 05:14 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Seriously make yourself a glovebox, cheap and effective. Bathrooms are the worst places to use.

There is a video of bathroom myco work floating around. I think imho worst place. Best place to find mold and bacteria in a house.

--------------------

Offlinescubabuddha
Male

Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: djmako7]
    #9100899 - 10/19/08 05:19 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ok, i'll make a glove box.

any answers to the other questions?

--------------------

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
    #9100924 - 10/19/08 05:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I don't know your PC or jars, but I'd suggest getting some single pint jars if you can fit them. Quite advantageous over the smaller ones, especially if you are not experienced with clean technique.

~Monk

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: numonkei]
    #9100992 - 10/19/08 05:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Soak your grains first for 24 hours. Then simmer for 30 mins to 1 hour. Let them drain for 1 hour, and then you will probably need to pat them dry with a towel.

--------------------

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: MHbound]
    #9101047 - 10/19/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

not probably pat dry with a towel! FOR sure pat dry with a towel and allow grains to become dry on the outside this takes an hour plus with a fan for me.

:poison: :poison::poison::poison::poison:
proper drying is crucial to preventing wet spot, not to mention grain that is to wet can hinder mycellium growth.

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Edited by Grogan (10/19/08 06:07 PM)

Offlinescubabuddha
Male

Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: Grogan]
    #9101058 - 10/19/08 06:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grogan said:
not probably pat dry with a towel! FOR sure pat dry with a towel and allow grains to become dry on the outside this takes an hour plus with a fan for me.

:poison: :poison::poison::poison::poison:
proper drying is crucial to preventing wet spot, not to mention grain that is to wet can hinder mycellium growth.

good, that's exactly what i did. there are 8 jars in the pc for the next 45 mins or so, then another 4. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinedothedew69
Relearning
 User Gallery

#9101377 - 10/19/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Save money for a larger PC, get atleast a 16 qt one or get a used 23 qt presto, I fit 10 qt jars into my new 23qt presto. Also for the glovebox is a great thing but I have really long arms and it is such a PITA to move around in one. If you have a small spare room/bedroom that is clean use that especially over the bathroom. Get a ton of Oust (Lysol is not made for air isn't it?) and spray the hell, and I mean spray it until you can hardly breath, before using the room. Then let it sit for 10 min or so, make sure all work surfaces were whiped with alcohol and all items are available. Another thing to invest in is a flowhood if you want to get really serious. The proper filter will costs $100, a good reliable fan will run $70-100, and then lumber supplies and hardware. But it may be easiest to just stick with the glovebox. I will remain in my room to inoculate :smile:

OfflineJoanRivers
Stranger

Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: dothedew69]
    #9101535 - 10/19/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You should really opt for the glove box dude...really easy to make and totally worth the time. Contamination will find you... it's everywhere.

Also Stacking jars is ok in the PC...and I think using the half pint should be interesting. I've never done it but in my mind i see using them to noc other larger jars.

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: got my spores, time to start... need some advice [Re: dothedew69]
    #9101568 - 10/19/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Glovebox is one of those topics where some say yes you must have and some say it's a waste of space. I've had success with and without, but I say why not? I don't think anyone will say it makes things less sterile... I understand the long arms / PITA aspect which is why I made a second where the holes were not on the same wall - one in the front and one on the side, then turn it 45 degrees so when I reach in it's a bit more natural. My lid is not clear, so I put the lid on the bottom so I can see through the now top of the box.

In any case, if you're using a bathroom, close the lid, shower door / curtain and bleach spray everything you can and oust and lysol the rest...alot...

--------------------
hehe

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom