Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoodion
Crotch Spelunker

Hyphal Knotting?
    #9091885 - 10/17/08 02:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hello everyone.

This cake has been in my FC for a little over a week, and has been showing a lot of mycelium growth but no pins. I waited a week after full colonization to birth it. I can't seem to find good pics of hyphal knotting and I'm not sure what they look like on cakes. Is it like small bumps? Because those seem to be showing.

The temperature is 73-76 degrees all the time, the fruiting chamber is right in front of the window, and I fan/mist about once every hour. I also carefully use a pipet to remove any standing/pooling water on the top of the cake. The hygrometer is no longer in there but its always 97-99% (only dropped to 97 once when I was out all day and my girlfriend kept fanning without misting).

Is there anything you can see in these pics as to why this baby isn't pinning yet? Does it look too wet? Am I being a whiny, impatient bitch?

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I dunked for 28 hours and rolled in verm, then misted the verm until it looked dark/moist.

--------------------
Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. -Paul Gilbert

I don't know.  I never smoked AstroTurf.  -Tug McGraw, after being asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf

Edited by Moodion (10/17/08 02:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Hyphal Knotting? [Re: Moodion]
    #9091900 - 10/17/08 02:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Did you try the search, or at least look over the last few days worth of threads?  This thread was made yesterday and is still active.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMoodion
Crotch Spelunker

Re: Hyphal Knotting? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9091937 - 10/17/08 02:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Did you try the search, or at least look over the last few days worth of threads?  This thread was made yesterday and is still active.
RR

Yeah, I read through that one and a few others that came up in the search, but I still couldn't tell if the bumps on my cake's fluff was knotting or just mycelium growth. :frown:

I also read that delayed pinning and fluffy growth like I have is caused by "too high humidity and too high temperatures", but its been between 73 and 76 degrees (I have a therm that shows min/max temp), and I also read that there's no such thing as TOO MUCH humidity when it comes to cakes as long as there's enough FAE.

I guess I just wanted someone to ID the bumps on my cake and let me know if I'm missing something. :shrug:

Is it a bad idea to have the FC in front of a window like that? Could they be absorbing the sunlight too much and heating up much more than the ambient temperature in the FC? Should I close the blinds on the window?

Thanks and if this is stuff I could've found on the search please direct me to the proper posts as I can't find specific info that doesn't contradict other info.

Another edit: The window is in a place where the sunlight on the desk doesn't get too intense:

Code:

building
|
window V
___ | ____
| | |
|_V_|
ooo <- FC

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9091944 - 10/17/08 02:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

sunlight = bad for shrooms.... i think right? i mean you dont want it in direct sunlight.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineSickShroomer
Retired Shroom Master
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #9091964 - 10/17/08 02:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yea.. Not to beat a dead horse.. But that other topic basicly covers it...

To high humidity!!! The mycelium thinks the air is substrate!! give that thing some FAE..

Also, after reading your last post.. Put those things in the closet. Shroomz don't need light like a plant needs light.. If its bright enough to see the cakes even just a little bit, its enough.. I bet the sun is makeing them to hot... One or the other..

--------------------
Going to miss the PNW gatherings.

I'm not here trying to make anyone feel stupid or to make myself feel good by putting ppl down. I am just here to help fellow shroomerites in there grows. I do this to keep my own knowledge fresh, and to help everyone succeed!

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Hyphal Knotting? [Re: Nuzzle]
    #9091968 - 10/17/08 02:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

No direct sunlight, the sunlight that reflects from the walls and such is ok though. I think.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Hyphal Knotting? [Re: dead]
    #9091996 - 10/17/08 02:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

hey , when those lumps (or "puffballs" as i called them) start forming tiny bumps of mycelium on them thats knots. it will be very obvious. its like the mycelium gets mycelium warts. well sort of. view that thread rr linked again and look at the money. the white bumps are knots. you will see those on your mycelium lumps.

--------------------
grind

OfflineMoodion
Crotch Spelunker

Re: Hyphal Knotting? [Re: SickShroomer]
    #9092002 - 10/17/08 02:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SickShroomer said:
Yea.. Not to beat a dead horse.. But that other topic basicly covers it...

To high humidity!!! The mycelium thinks the air is substrate!! give that thing some FAE..

Also, after reading your last post.. Put those things in the closet. Shroomz don't need light like a plant needs light.. If its bright enough to see the cakes even just a little bit, its enough.. I bet the sun is makeing them to hot... One or the other..

Alright, I'll put the FC out of line-of-sight to the window and fan it a couple more times an hour. Definitely gonna have to buy a drill and turn these FCs into shotgun-style ones. Thanks.

--------------------
Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. -Paul Gilbert

I don't know.  I never smoked AstroTurf.  -Tug McGraw, after being asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix