Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

Small Mushrooms from my hpoo spawn (PIC)
    #9090773 - 10/17/08 09:30 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I woke up this morning to find a few of the small mushrooms on my spawn had broken their veils.  They are about and inch tall and rather skinny.

I don't remember what strain they were because I didn't label.  So they are either B+ or Brazilian. 

I was wondering why they were this small.  Not mad at all  My substrate depth is only about an inch to 1.5" deep.  Is that the problem?  There is a cool mist running 24/7 as well as slits all over the green house.

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

LOOKING FOR EDIBLE CULTURES OR PRINTS ANYTHING GOURMET!!
also, Omphalotus olearius AKA Jack o'Lantern mushroom
PM ME

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneybis
Master of the Custodial Arts

Re: Small Mushrooms from my hpoo spawn (PIC) [Re: Herbie5075]
    #9090784 - 10/17/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

could be substrate depth although 1.5 isn't too awful bad. I believe next to genetics, the primary reason for small mushies is substrate and casing moisture next to fae so just keep those up and theyll get as big as they can. If ALL of your shrooms are small like that it is MOST likely genetics unless if you are consistently providing a lack of things mentioned prior. Personally my last tray's shrooms ranged from 1-3" tops, i believe mine was due to improper moisture (didn't mist:tongue:).

--------------------
"Why is there so much controversy about drug testing? I know plenty of guys who would be willing to test any drug they could come up with."

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: Small Mushrooms from my hpoo spawn (PIC) [Re: neybis]
    #9090808 - 10/17/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

where did you have them in the greenhouse ? (Top, middle, bottom?) Is this project MS, or clone ?

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

InvisibleN8Martinez
Stranger
    #9090812 - 10/17/08 09:38 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

the size should increas as you develope more flushes. the first few will start off small but as you get to your second or third flush you should see improvments.

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Small Mushrooms from my hpoo spawn (PIC) [Re: N8Martinez]
    #9090864 - 10/17/08 09:47 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Also, when you have numbers, the sizes are usually small. ...But when you have just a few, there allot bigger then normal.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

Re: Small Mushrooms from my hpoo spawn (PIC) [Re: Boris]
    #9090900 - 10/17/08 09:54 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
where did you have them in the greenhouse ? (Top, middle, bottom?) Is this project MS, or clone ?

They were on the top shelf 3 shelves above my cool mist and right under the light.  It's a MS syringe to WBS and spawned to hpoo straw.

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

PM ME

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9090946 - 10/17/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ah... So you have the whole humidifier sitting inside the Martha ? I was going to say that the stems looked rather thin. A indication that they aren't getting enough FAE, but they seem to be standing up tall, and proud. Most of the time when a mushroom is o2 starved, the stems will be thin, and they will also some times droop over. note that humidity falls down through the air. You wanna introduce the humidity from the top, and let it work its way down. Best bet is to some how modify your humidifier to sit on the outside, with a tube running from it, into the Martha (Top) With the humidifier inside, your just recirculating stale air. If it was on the outside, it would be pumping in FAE also. With it being on the inside, its going to clog the air filter on the humidifier with moisture, making the pressure at which it blows the moisture out, low and possibly breaking your humidifier.

Also note that with MS. each spoor holds it own genetics. Some encoded to be small, and some big. but most of the time small mushies is an indicator your not supplying it with something it wants/needs

Number one reason for small mushrooms is supplying them with poor levels of water. Mushrooms are like 90% water... Humidity has a GREAT deal to do with the water they receive and retain.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Edited by Boris (10/17/08 10:12 AM)

OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

#9091067 - 10/17/08 10:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The Reason I have it inside is because i've read on more than one occasion that it's perfectly ok to put it in a green house

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You can run a cool mist, such as the vicks kaz models inside the greenhouse without problems.  I've done so for years and wouldn't recommend something that wasn't safe.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Put it at the bottom.  A cool mist needs to shoot a mist straight up about 5 feet to work properly.  Mine sit on the floor of the mini-greenhouse, one on each side of the shelves.  Cut a hole in the plastic right next to where the humidifier sits, and it will draw in some fresh air and also mix with the air inside to give you a nice 95% humidity easily.  Giving lots of fresh air in a greenhouse is easy.  Simply use a knife to cut slits and holes in several places.
RR

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

PM ME

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9091088 - 10/17/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a great home-made humidifier I build (Idea took from The Shroomy 1) I implemented a few things to it, but here are some general pics;

The main thing that makes this work is a fog element I bought for;

They are sold around this time of year (Halloween). Was kinda pricey ($25) but the rest of the supplies were next to nothing...

Some of these pics you will notice I have a larger fan, and its positioned on the back. I later made a new one, with a smaller fan, and positioned it on the side.

This works all due to airtight seals, only allowing air in, then out. Forcing the mist the element is creating out, and into the Martha.

Here are some shots of the tube and such.

This keeps the Martha at 100ish RH

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Edited by Boris (10/17/08 10:40 AM)

OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

#9091121 - 10/17/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

That's bad ass man good stuff.  I hope once i'm settled in school to do something advanced like that.

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

PM ME

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9091132 - 10/17/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I just wonder how big his greenhouse is... The main reason I made a diff humidifier, was cause (I had it inside) and the filter got all wet, and no air would pass through. It created a weird vortex like back draft in the chamber, sucking the mist behind the fan then back through. getting moisture on the fan, and it would short out and not work. I guess its ok to have it on the bottom, IF its shooting the air to the top, but sounds counter intuitive to me... Just make sure there are no obstructions in the way of the mist reaching the top. (Reducing room for more products to be grown)

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Edited by Boris (10/17/08 03:46 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9091141 - 10/17/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
note that humidity falls down through the air. You wanna introduce the humidity from the top, and let it work its way down. Best bet is to some how modify your humidifier to sit on the outside, with a tube running from it, into the Martha

Boris, that is absolutely wrong.  I have for many years measured humidity in my greenhouses and it's always higher at the top and lower at the bottom.  Humidity does not fall by gravity to the bottom.  Vapor is a gas, not a solid.

herbie, In the first sentence, you refer to mushrooms on your 'spawn' and in the next you refer to substrate depth.  Which is it?  Spawn is your inoculant grains, and substrate is your manure, coir or whatever.

Regardless, your mushrooms are proportioned correctly, so FAE is not the problem.  Mushroom size is generally related to substrate depth and/or moisture content, so my guess is your substrate is either not thick enough, or is too dry.

I recommend placing the coolmist inside the greenhouse, and then cutting slits and windows in the plastic to allow for natural air circulation to provide the fresh air.  If you're using a  Kaz or Vicks coolmist humidifier, remove the filter and you'll get much more volume of air, thus more moisture output.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Small Mushrooms from my hpoo spawn (PIC) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9091157 - 10/17/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:frown: My digital hygrometer at the bottom of my greenhouse always reads higher, apposed to the top. Maybe my hygrometer is shit ?

Perhaps you read high at the top cause you have a constant burst of humidity being forced to the top?

Roger, I 100% of the time follow what you teach, and any advice I give is mainly what you preach. Some times I opinionate personal experiences. At those opinions your always busting my balls lol... I could have SWORE in a post about greenhouses you mentioned humidity to fall. Plus in the wild (In the morn) I see fogginess collected by the low lying dips and such on the ground more predominately then anywhere else

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Edited by Boris (10/17/08 11:07 AM)

OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

#9091206 - 10/17/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

sorry i miss spoke it's a hpoo straw substrate.  There are slits all over the place 6 on each tier with a window cut by the air intake of the humidifier plus 2 big ones on the top.

I will take the filter off but the hygrometer i had in there before it broke always read 99% humidity.

I had an issue earlier where I was not misting the substrate while it was colonizing so i'm assuming that's where the missing moisture came from.

I may be wrong but isnt there 2 types of humidifiers used impeller and ultrasonic (fogger) it seems to me that the fogger type falls because it's a bigger droplet as opposed to the impeller type which forces 'invisible' water into the air

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

PM ME

Edited by Herbie5075 (10/17/08 11:11 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract