Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCyrus32
Hopefull Myco
Loc: Alabama
First time...liquid and casing???
    #908310 - 09/25/02 09:11 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Allright...First off I know this is my first post but I've been to the site many times and have read a good nuber of the Tek's as well as many of the posts.

So here's my questions..

Tonight I ordered my first syringe(sp) ever. I ordered the Treasure Coast strain from Shroom Works because the site seems to be regarded as pretty reliable on the boards.

I'm thinking of starting my spores in the malt liquid as it seems like it would be easier to transfer into a casing substrate and also alot easier to produce more when needed without having to use spore prints or order another syringe.

Also with the casing should I go with the typical 50/50 or should i try something with straw as the site said this strain grows well in it?

Right now I'm also thinking about that to use as a grow chamber. I have a 10 gallon aquarium that i was going to use but now i have fears that it won't be big enough to grow in.

for humidity I plan on using perlite...It seems to be great for growing as long as the humidity doesent reach too high in the chamber.

ohhh and more more thing after the liquid malt mix has been colonized it says it can be kept in the fridge untill use...I know that syringes will last up to 2 1/2 years if not longer..but howlong will this stay viable?

Any help, info, ideas...pointing me to other posts on the above subjects I may have missed would all be appreciated...thanks, John

--------------------
"It is far better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."

Yahoo Msg. Name:Cyrus32

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXiC_clone
Calls Shots 'Round Here
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth 25XX
Re: First time...liquid and casing??? [Re: Cyrus32]
    #908354 - 09/25/02 09:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If this is your first endevor into the hobby, start w/ the PF tek cakes. Otherwise you might run into problems that u wont know how to deal w/. I know everyone gets told this, even me when I started. But you have to crawl before you can walk. And look @ some of us now. We can run w/ the best of 'em.

-XiC

--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Cyrus32]
    #908444 - 09/25/02 10:03 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineCyrus32
Hopefull Myco
Re: First time...liquid and casing??? [Re: matts]
    #908504 - 09/25/02 10:23 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

ok liquid...bad idea for newbi

but...it would still be a good idea to case right?

so break up the cakes and "plant" them right...

and also with casing you would have a laayer of perlite and then have a seperate tub to grow in correct?

kinda confused right now been a long day and i'm geting sick :frown: 

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Cyrus32]
    #908513 - 09/25/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineXiC_clone
Calls Shots 'Round Here
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth 25XX
    #908517 - 09/25/02 10:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>>>with casing you would have a laayer of perlite and then have a seperate tub to grow in correct?<<<

yep

sorry about ya feeling sick, feel better!!!

-XiC

--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

OfflineCyrus32
Hopefull Myco
Re: First time...liquid and casing??? [Re: XiC_clone]
    #908646 - 09/25/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

so say i used something the size of a bread pan...since only one would relly fit in a 10 gallon fish tank how many 1/2 pt jars would be neaded to be innoculated...and should i cold shock them like some teks say before i put them in

and thanks for saying you hope i feel better :smile: 

edit: since the fish tank would only be able to hold one pan do you think i'd be better off getting one of those big sealable containers from walmart and maybe one of those black thin plastic plant tubs to grow in since there easily cut and resized?

--------------------

Edited by Cyrus32 (09/25/02 11:18 PM)

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #908860 - 09/26/02 12:22 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I`m not debating the fact that sterility is important but liquid cultures aren`t that difficult to make.
I usually just go into my bathroom, spray it down with a bleach solution and get working.
I`ve had very little problems with contamination.
I`ve done grain 2 grain, agar work, liquid mycelium and general innoculation with this method.
The only occurence of contamination was from a contaminated print I was sent.
And I was able to save the jar by transferring grain.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order