Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecornpops
psynerd

Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there?
    #9079983 - 10/15/08 06:53 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ok.  So Ive been having trouble lately with contams.  Ive been cultivating for a few years with much success.  I stopped for about a year and decided to start over again recently but have never ran into contam problems like this before.  I started with the syringe technique to inoculate jars.  I felt that I had a clean environment.  I chose to use my bathroom because i figured that would be an area in which minimal air flow would occur.  I took a shower and sterilized the air with Lysol.  Also, i sterilized the syringe using both alcohol and a flame.  After I inoculated the jars i put them away in my closet.  All was well.  There were 3 jars total that were fully colonized.  I took one of them to do a g2g to 4 more jars.  I had the same sanitizing conditions as stated earlier and performed the g2gs like i had in the past.  The other 2 jars I made into a casing.  Then I put the casing away in my closet in a rubbermaid container (Keep in mind I am not using an incubator).  When i felt like it was fully colonized i began to fruit it.  Disaster struck about 5 days later when i noticed that it had spots of green mold scattered about.  Boy was i mad as hell!  Now back to those other g2gs i had done.  I chose the 4 new g2gs (2nd gen) to consist of 2 birdseed and 2 rye.  When i g2gd them i alternated from bird to rye and bird to rye just as an experiment.  Well.  The first and last have not contams but as for the middle two....well they do.  I just dont know what to do.  Im trying to figure out the best way to keep everything sterile.  I have a feeling that the landlord that owns the apartment didnt clean it well or something.  I have never had contams this bad before and i need to know if there is something that Im not doing right.  I have looked at all kinds of posts on this site but im just not sure what to do.  I need Roger Rabbit!  Does anyone know of a sure fire way to make a glovebox?  Is that what I should do?  Somebody please help me solve this mystery.  Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecornpops
psynerd

Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: cornpops]
    #9079996 - 10/15/08 07:00 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Also, is there an easy way to get rid of stuff floating around in my apartment.  If anyone has any helpful links to some threads up here about anything it would be much helpful.  Im just really stressed out about this.  thanks

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: cornpops]
    #9080004 - 10/15/08 07:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The bathroom is one of the worst places you could use. Its a breeding ground for moulds and bacteria. Particularly black mould.

Also, the toilet. Everytime you flush the toilet fecial matter will be sprayed into the air.

Build yourself a simple glovebox. Its simple and cheap.

A glovebox is a clear plastic container big enough to hold all your materials and enough room to work in. Cut 2 holes big enough to fit your arms through.

Clean it out with soapy water. Put everything you need in there and wait 10 minutes for the air to settle. Put on latex gloves, and rub your hands well with alcohol. Then you can perform your operations inside the glovebox.

What are you using for casing and how is it prepared, sterilised or pastuirsed etc

Inoculatiing in open air is sketchy, it works for  some and doesnt for others. It may work for a while then at all.

Providing your syringe was clean (which im sure it is, from a vendor) then open air inocs is your problem

A glovebox or flowhood should always be used for g2g transfers.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinedothedew69
Relearning
 User Gallery

Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9080038 - 10/15/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

glove box or a flow hood. flow hood is the best because you have some freedom to move around without stumbling inside a small tub but it is costly. I just use my closet with shelves Oust the crap out of it, turn the light on, use latex gloves, Tyvek sleeves, have my alcohol lamp and supplies on the shelf and jars in a box.

Offlinegarbageman
Apprentice
Male

Loc: Great Lakes area
Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: dothedew69]
    #9080670 - 10/15/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like youd benefit greatly from a proper made flow hood. Not only would a HEPA filter system give you more freedom of movement than a glovebox, itd give you more peace of mind. check issue 7 page 110 of "Make Magazine". Search the torrents and ull find it. They have a nice tutorial on how to take a 30 dollar HEPA machine and a plastic tub to make a laminar flow hood-like work space. Easy to make, cheap and effective.  A glovebox is easier and cheaper though at ten bux. Just make sure your glovebox is at least 18 inches high so u have some room to work vertically.

OfflineT2K_Rusty
Rusty Shackleford
 User Gallery

Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: garbageman]
    #9080700 - 10/15/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hepas can cost an arm and a leg but do work wonders. 

Build a still air box, clean it with soapy water or alcohal, don't use any flames inside it.  A simple cardboard box will help you out.

Duno about your closet, but mine is god awful for jars. Every time i've put jars in it there's some cobweb or some mold that gets to it. I've bleached and oused the crap out of it, still to no avail. 

I bet it's the closet.

--------------------
Sh sh shaw!

Offlinedothedew69
Relearning
 User Gallery

Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: T2K_Rusty]
    #9080727 - 10/15/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I have actually tried all the rooms in my apartment and my closet just seems great ha. We all have differ situations. Mine has wood flooring and I can alcohol everything then oust the crap out of it. Now if I can keep my cat away from my greenhouse!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: dothedew69]
    #9080910 - 10/15/08 11:17 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

They have a nice tutorial on how to take a 30 dollar HEPA machine and a plastic tub to make a laminar flow hood-like work space.

Nonsense.  I've said for years and I stick to it that those are worse than nothing at all.

If you could get a cheap hepa to perform laminar flow, we wouldn't spend $500 or more to make or purchase a laminar flow hood.

As a commercial pilot, I understand what laminar flow means.  One of my planes, a Pitts S2A has laminar wings and flies upside down just as well as right-side-up.  The other, a Citabria without laminar wings, flies much better right-side up, even though it's certified in the aerobatic category.  Blowing air from a hepa filter into a closed tub creates turbulence, NOT laminar flow.  To achieve laminar flow, you need to develop static pressure on the back side of the filter, and that takes a 6" or thicker filter so that the air leaving all points on the filter travels at the same speed.

Kitchens and bathrooms are the worst places to work in a house.  Kitchens are full of molds from food, almost all of which is grown in farms where trichoderma is a beneficial organism in the soil.  Bathrooms get doused with fecal material in aerosol form every time you flush the toilet.  Lysol is a surface disinfectant, and doesn't do squat for bacteria in the air.

Build a glovebox, or purchase or build a laminar flow hood.  Never do something silly like flame sterilize a needle, and then contaminate it with an alcohol soaked rag.  Use the alcohol first, and then flame sterilize, and then use the darn thing.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9080957 - 10/15/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I spent about 10$ on my glove box, and have had 1 contam so far...

Just get a clear storage tote, cut out 2 holes in it for your arms (i put my holes in the front of it)

Then I went to Lowes and got 2 pvc fittings 3" i think they were in diameter, and gorilla glued them to the tote.
Then I took the pvc screw covers and screwed them to the fittings.

Weather strip the top of the tote, and the lid to help keep out crap.
and ta-da... a great glove box for a cheap price.
You can see pics of my setup here >> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9056262

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Offlinecornpops
psynerd

Re: Problem with contams.....glovebox help....Roger Rabbit are you there? [Re: Nuzzle]
    #9081295 - 10/15/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ok.  I'm gonna go buy a simple clear box and make a glovebox.  I'll post as needed.  Thanks for the comments guys and hopefully all will go well.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom