Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Blue Oyster Bunker Bag
    #9060915 - 10/10/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So I had an epiphany the other day.  Maybe I didn't pack this bag tight enough.  So I cut a hole in the top of the bag a couple of days after we had a good rain here, and today I found this!

That's basically wood mulch, twigs and leaf litter in a burlap sack.

This specimen is pretty interesting.  The stem is almost central and is quite thick.  Almost like something else I have in the fridge...

Separated at birth?  On the left, a king oyster mushroom purchased from the grocery store.  On the right, the most attractive specimen I found.

I'm guessing that P. columbinus is a European variety?  I'd be curious to get a breakdown of the various oyster species people cultivate and their place of origin.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

Loc: Great White North
Re: Blue Oyster Bunker Bag [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9062222 - 10/11/08 08:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

How much spawn did you end up putting in there?

How big were the twigs?  Did you just snap them up at random or cut using a tool?

Will they eventually "eat" that burlap sack?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Blue Oyster Bunker Bag [Re: Ceara]
    #9062269 - 10/11/08 08:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

They look pretty nice, but not blue? Were they getting enough light/

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
    #9062887 - 10/11/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Bravo!

Let me guess: no worries about contamination there, huh?

Did you sterilize or pasteurize this at all, or just used a lot of spawn?

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#9062981 - 10/11/08 12:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ceara said:
How much spawn did you end up putting in there?

How big were the twigs?  Did you just snap them up at random or cut using a tool?

Will they eventually "eat" that burlap sack?

The bag was inoculated with the remnants of a bulk grow on cardboard that sat on my back porch after a first flush and dried out.

The twigs were less than an inch in diameter and I cut some up with one of those bolt cutter trimmer.. things.

Yes, the bag will eventually get eaten.  Then I'll pick it up with a shovel and toss it in the compost pile.

I picked the bag up and there are TONS of pins coming up from the soil.  Hundreds!

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

#9062987 - 10/11/08 12:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet!

More pics please.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Blue Oyster Bunker Bag [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9062995 - 10/11/08 12:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
They look pretty nice, but not blue? Were they getting enough light/

Part of that is the flash from my camera.  They're a bit bluer in natural sunlight.  Also, many of them started to form under the burlap before I cut it back, and they have this cross-hatch pattern of dark and light spots on the caps.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Blue Oyster Bunker Bag [Re: denger]
    #9063030 - 10/11/08 12:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

denger said:
Bravo!

Let me guess: no worries about contamination there, huh?

Did you sterilize or pasteurize this at all, or just used a lot of spawn?

I'm having a lot more success with growing outdoors than inside.  Casings seem to be trich magnets for me.

I did absolutely nothing with the substrate, and the "spawn" was a dried out grow on cardboard that already gave me a small flush.  I think it was waiting for the weather to cool a bit.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

#9063043 - 10/11/08 12:57 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks so much for posting this.  I'd really like to see more photos if you have the time.

Pics you've already posted, and how you inoc'd the sack... well that's just too cool.  So Oysters really are that easy to grow, even from dried out cardboard.  Nature is amazing. 

You just gave me some huge ideas and a confirmation of how I want to work with oysters outdoors.  Thanks again!

BTW, where'd ya get the burlap?

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #9063090 - 10/11/08 01:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

very cool pictures you got here...nice to see some Hi-Res mushies coming up to see and inspire.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#9063176 - 10/11/08 01:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ceara said:
BTW, where'd ya get the burlap?

Funny thing about that.  I was at the grocery store and saw someone working there stocking poblano peppers in a bin.  They came in burlap sacks, so I asked him for them.  I'm a big fan of the phrase, "Are you just going to toss that out?" :grin:

I believe you can find burlap sacks at feed stores.  Internet vendors seem to charge about $2 a pop.  Fungi Perfecti sells them!  To me, this is insane.  I'm just going to ask the managers at nearby grocery stores if they can save them for me.

Now, I know they grow a shitload of rice around here, but I can't find rice straw to save my life...

This is more or less a portable outdoor bed!  I imagine this would be a good way of getting a King Stropharia bed going.  Fill a couple of sacks and leave them in an out of the way place for a few months, then dump them in the final location when they're fully colonized.  I wonder if it would work with shiitake if I used enough spawn.  Probably not. :smile:

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

#9063261 - 10/11/08 02:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Mmmmmmmm... poblanos.  They don't sell those up here. :frown:

Well hey anything free is good, as long as it's useful.  We should all converge on our local gourmet coffee shops.  hehe  That's where I'm headed as soon as I kick this cold.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9064594 - 10/11/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Keep getting trich on your casings??

I was under the impression that oysters do better without a casing.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Blue Oyster Bunker Bag [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9065856 - 10/12/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That was some time ago, with attempts to grow something... a bit different.  I quit trying to grow actives as a favor to housemates.

Still, I don't see how casing oysters could hurt, if you manage to case a vertical surface.  RR gives BRF cakes the "dunk and roll" in his video, and doesn't tree bark act as a casing layer?  It would still help the substrate retain moisture.

There's also a huge cluster of pins in the soil under the bag, but I'm not sure if they're oysters or something else yet.  I'll take pics as they get bigger and post them here.  I've seen lots of pictures of oysters fruiting from buried substrates here, too.

So... I think the main reasons oysters aren't typically cased are: It isn't  necessary, and oysters fruiting from a horizontal surface don't form as many nice, tight clusters and have thicker stems.  I think.  The caps on these guys are definitely thicker and more substantial than oysters I've gotten at the grocery store, which is the most important thing to me!  I don't care if they're not as pretty. :smile:

I've noticed that when they get really big, the caps start getting wavy at the edges.  They're a little chewier, but the oyster flavor is much more intense.  I think I'm making risotto for dinner!

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Invisiblewisp

#9069840 - 10/13/08 06:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That's a nice looking flush of oysters there, especially for unintentional mushrooms. They're the best ones.:)

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Blue Oyster Bunker Bag [Re: wisp]
    #9085546 - 10/16/08 08:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

NIIICE!!! they looks so nice and clean ^^ reminds me the king tuber
)o.O][O.o(

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds