Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleVoido
Retired
Male

Gay marriage
    #9055096 - 10/09/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

In California, we are approaching the date where we will vote for or against gay marriage. There are major problems with gay marriage being legal, such as if someday culture spins off that gay is normal, and therefore it is accepted by young kids in schools, for them to pick and choose freely. Another scary thought would be if it were taught in public schools, even more so if gays had it easier to adopt kids. I believe they should be given the same rights, but have it not be called "marriage". I'm not religious, but it just so happens marriage comes from religion. I will never marry, I don't believe in it, but I see clearly where people come from who are against having it called marriage. IMO religious folk that agree to marry, are making a mistake, but since they're lives are so blindly led, they probably wont find as many hardships in the act.       
    These views of mine may be narrow, because where I come from the dread-locked liberals who argue for it dont give any substance besides the obvious rants, so are there any opinions that hold weight to vote for gay marriage, besides you being gay and pissing your parents off?

--------------------
- V

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Gay marriage [Re: Voido]
    #9055173 - 10/09/08 06:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I hardly know you at all.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #9055180 - 10/09/08 06:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

> These views of mine may be narrow

Certainly, but at least you have the decency to recognize it.  I find it hard to fault somebody for having an opinion, as long as they are honest about it.

> such as if someday culture spins off that gay is normal

Why do you claim that gay is not normal?  Obviously, there are a lot of gay people in the world.  The only real difference between what is normal and what is not normal is perception.

> but have it not be called "marriage".

Who cares what it is called?  I believe that it should be called a "union" as far as the state is concerned, be it between heterosexuals or homosexuals.  If a church wants to endorse a union as marriage, then that should be up to the church.  If a church wants to marry gay couples, then so be it.  The name is rather irrelevant, but the state, as you pointed out, should not discriminate.

> so are there any opinions that hold weight to vote for gay marriage, besides you being gay and pissing your parents off?

I'm not gay, and I doubt my parents would care one way or the other, as long as I am happy.  My biggest argument is that it is really none of my business what other people do, as long as they don't force their beliefs upon me.  Freedom is not easy... it means that we have to bury that which offends us and stand up for freedom, supporting the rights of those we disagree with, regardless, lest somebody that is offended by our own beliefs tries to take our own rights and freedom away from us.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PA
Re: Gay marriage [Re: Seuss]
    #9055192 - 10/09/08 06:41 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

> so are there any opinions that hold weight to vote for gay marriage, besides you being gay and pissing your parents off?

I'm not gay, and I doubt my parents would care one way or the other, as long as I am happy.  My biggest argument is that it is really none of my business what other people do, as long as they don't force their beliefs upon me.  Freedom is not easy... it means that we have to bury that which offends us and stand up for freedom, supporting the rights of those we disagree with, regardless, lest somebody that is offended by our own beliefs tries to take our own rights and freedom away from us.

There are a thousand reasons but that sir is absolutely the most important

--------------------
Try to realise it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

InvisibleVoido
Retired
Male

Re: Gay marriage [Re: Seuss]
    #9055297 - 10/09/08 06:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I agree that we don't know if it is normal or not, through personal experience however i've seen kids who grow up with abuse that turn gay, kids who for some reason look like the other sex so much that they just accept the other genders role in society, and even people who changed their sexual preference after failed relationships with the opposite sex. Since we don't know if it there is any biological evidence, and it is ridiculous to let poor orphan kids be adopted by gays, let alone any kid up for adoption. I suppose I don't want to let our MTV driven American culture get anymore immature and out of hand. Freedom is one thing, but without vision a society is bound to be fucked, as we are now. I really take a strong stance against how much garbage the media feeds our youth, because they are supposed to lead the world into stages of stronger intellect, not reality tv shows and sexually confused boy bands. I'm not trying to come to strong onto your view. But would you find it out of hand if kids chose their gender role because of culture? Seeing 5 year old boys wearing pink clothes, because their daddy's do? The line between being born gay and becoming gay, will be so hazy. If you can even be born gay. I mean, kids being adopted by gays, and kids being taught about gay marriage equally, it just seems like a bad road for our country to take, when there is too much mystery still covering the actual phenomena of our increasing rate of homosexuality

--------------------
- V

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9055361 - 10/09/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

do you have any valid source on this phenomenon that is our increasing rate of homosexuality?  It can be hard to have that convorsation with somone who seemingly  is pretty set in their belief that gays are only gay because of mtv and are somehow morally corrupt...

--------------------

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

InvisibleVoido
Retired
Male

Re: Gay marriage [Re: x2and2makes5]
    #9055387 - 10/09/08 07:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

x2and2makes5 said:
do you have any valid source on this phenomenon that is our increasing rate of homosexuality?  It can be hard to have that convorsation with somone who seemingly  is pretty set in their belief that gays are only gay because of mtv and are somehow morally corrupt...

I didn't say gays are gay because of MTV, i was more making a point on how our youths major influence sadly is mtv, and that is dumbing them down at an alarming rate. And no, i have no valid sources, i dont know where to find the gay citizen poll, i just know 10 years ago the village people werent jogging around your apartment, and if they were, then your opinion is invalid

--------------------
- V

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9055439 - 10/09/08 07:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

...so dumbing them down makes them more vulnerable to being gay? Can we agree that your view on gay marriage is a direct result of your ignorance and essentially fear of homosexuality? The idea that good functioning healthy gay relationships shouldnt be able to adopt kids who are without any family it all? You seem like the kind of guy that thinks all children of gay families are inherently gay, or only abused people become gay, or more importantly, gay people are only huge flamers dancing around in tight jeans with pink boas around their neck.

--------------------

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #9055443 - 10/09/08 07:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Do gay penguins become so from learning it?  Is there a "metrosexual" penguin subculture?

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9055450 - 10/09/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

by the way..the village people were dancing around everyones living room in the late 70s...which last I checked was more than 10 years ago

--------------------

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

InvisibleVoido
Retired
Male

Re: Gay marriage [Re: xFrockx]
    #9055490 - 10/09/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i dont think of humans as just another animal, if you view yourself as some homosexual cannibal animal appetite then to each its own, but then you'd be  inadequate as a human IMO

--------------------
- V

InvisibleVoido
Retired
Male

#9055502 - 10/09/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I was speaking literally

--------------------
- V

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9055580 - 10/09/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

There are major problems with gay marriage being legal, such as if someday culture spins off that gay is normal, and therefore it is accepted by young kids in schools, for them to pick and choose freely.

Why is someone being gay a negative thing? Why shouldn't it be accepted?

Quote:

even more so if gays had it easier to adopt kids.

Are gays worse parents or something?

InvisibleVoido
Retired
Male

Re: Gay marriage [Re: Redstorm]
    #9055649 - 10/09/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

There are major problems with gay marriage being legal, such as if someday culture spins off that gay is normal, and therefore it is accepted by young kids in schools, for them to pick and choose freely.

Why is someone being gay a negative thing? Why shouldn't it be accepted?

Quote:

even more so if gays had it easier to adopt kids.

Are gays worse parents or something?

its negative because if people who arent born gay shouldnt be gay. if people can even be born gay

and psychology has shown it is healthier for kids to grow up with both a female and male. Its rather obvious that kids should have a feminine perspective as well as a masculine, and because of this, kids should have be fairly distributed to straight couples

--------------------
- V

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9055701 - 10/09/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

its negative because if people who arent born gay shouldnt be gay. if people can even be born gay

Why shouldn't they?

Quote:

and psychology has shown it is healthier for kids to grow up with both a female and male.

I'm going to need a source for this? Also, should single parents not be able to raise children?

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gay marriage [Re: Redstorm]
    #9055835 - 10/09/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

He doesn't have any sources...pretty much your typical argument against gay marriage...

--------------------

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
    #9055847 - 10/09/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Invisiblemofo
Hobby Jingoist

Loc: Donkey Kong Kill Screen
    #9055896 - 10/09/08 08:52 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I plan on voting yes on prop 8.  I'm not against gay rights necessarily.  However, gay marriage should be differentiated from heterosexual marriage by calling it "civil union" or something to that effect.  I am concerned that not doing so could cause legal entanglements and other negative consequences for religious institutions.

Actually, I can't see any good reason why any type of marriage should be any of the government's concern, but that's how it is, so oh well.

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gay marriage [Re: mofo]
    #9055948 - 10/09/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mofo said:
I plan on voting yes on prop 8.  I'm not against gay rights necessarily.  However, gay marriage should be differentiated from heterosexual marriage by calling it "civil union" or something to that effect.  I am concerned that not doing so could cause legal entanglements and other negative consequences for religious institutions.

Actually, I can't see any good reason why any type of marriage should be any of the government's concern, but that's how it is, so oh well.

What type of legal entanglements/negative consequences? Not trying to be confrontational I'm just honestly curious what kind of problems that could possibly cause :shrug:

--------------------

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gay marriage [Re: mofo]
    #9055949 - 10/09/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Are you unfamiliar with the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order