Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeast TX
Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars
    #9050781 - 10/08/08 09:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So this is my second grow (first was with bags ordered from Mad Season) and I decided to pf-tek 24 1/2 pint jars with the method found in the book "Psilocybin Mushroom Handbook. I inoculated on 9/9/08.  I would say at least half of my jars are at least 1/2 colonized. 1/4 of them are less than 1/4 colonized, and 1/4 of them are anywhere from 85-95% colonized. I have only lost one jar to contams so far. The jars that moved the fastest got to the 85-95% area and then damn near STOPPED!! I mean its only moved about a centimeter in almost 2 weeks! I also noticed that some of my jars(3-4) have blacked/burnt looking verm/brf in certain areas (looks like they may have cooked a bit when I used the boiling water method)The myc seems to be avoiding these burnt looking areas(none of the jars that are nearly done have burnt areas might I add). Most of the PF-tek methods I have read on here say to put holes in the lids.  The method in the book did not. I am curious as to if this is why they are not done yet. Anyhow, My question to anyone who can help me out is: 1. What can I do, if anything, to speed my jars up (room temp stays between 72-85 degrees but fluctuates, no one is there most of the time) and 2. Is there anything I can do to salvage the jars with the burnt stuff in them? If it colonizes every area but the burnt area, and I try to fruit it, I'm afraid they will succumb to contams. Thanks to anyone who can help me. I've learned a lot the past half year or so I've been here and appreciate any and all advice..I love this hobby!

--------------------
"Your God, sent us to destroy"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: Aquilus]
    #9051605 - 10/08/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

??

--------------------

Offlineaguy
Just a guy

Loc: 45 minutes south
    #9051636 - 10/09/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by aguy (03/27/09 01:27 AM)

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: aguy]
    #9052118 - 10/09/08 04:39 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

aguy said:
How did you inoculate it without holes?

Yeah that's weird. Also, what would you trust more? A website that is constantly updated with new information/methods, or a book with contents that never change?

Offlineozzyozzyozzy
Australian
 User Gallery

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: phaseflux]
    #9052125 - 10/09/08 04:45 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It's possible that he unscrewed the lids, put spores in, and closed it. The lack of holes (and thus Ge/FAE) would also explain the stalling.

If you have a glovebox you could do a g2g transfer of the un-burnt areas, although make sure they're not contams.

Either way you need to do some serious reading on the shroomery.

Quote:

phaseflux said:
Also, what would you trust more? A website that is constantly updated with new information/methods, or a book with contents that never change?

The US only has 37 states, and it's as true now as it was back then! I.. oh, wait

OfflineSteve
Stranger

Loc: AUS
    #9052128 - 10/09/08 04:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

www.mushroomvideos.com

Watch those. And search the forums for PF TEK. Read.

As stated above you need holes. The mycelium need to be able to exchange gas to grow. The stalling is most likely because they have run out of oxygen.

You could remove the lid and as long as you put dry vermiculite as a top layer you will be fine.

I would say let them colonise everything (minus the black bits) in the jar then fruit. But I'm no expert.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9052129 - 10/09/08 04:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You need noles in your lid to allow gas exchange. With no gas exchange you will experience slow/stalled gas exchange.

Id carefully remove your lid and put some holes in them or loosen the lid of to allow some gas exchange. You do have the dry verm barrier dont you?

www.mushroomvideos.com

follow that pf tek.

Also you temps are getting a little high

quote from RR

Quote:

Wild swings in temperature cause air exchanges between the jars and the outside. If the changes are rapid, they can easily be too much for the filtering material, especially if only dry vermiculite is used. I don't recommend incubators, but find a nice room that holds at least to within five degrees or so. 75F to 81F is ideal. Above that, the returns are not worth the increased rate of contamination that will be experience

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9052481 - 10/09/08 08:22 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I do have the dry verm layer.  I would have much rather done the methods on here but my internet was screwed up at the time I started it so the only instructions I had was the book. So I should just nail some holes in the lids?

--------------------

Offlinerouge mycologist
Stranger

#9052577 - 10/09/08 08:57 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Personally I think the pf tek version sucks.  I've tried it several times and had no success.  To many problems with humidity controll in the friuting stage.  I would suggest grian, preferably rye.  Look for a whole foods store in you area they should carry rye grian/berries.  If you can't find one here's a link to a good web site that carries it. http://www.homegrownharvest.com/rye.html

And here's a good tek for rye. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4576865#Post4576865
Good luck, and check out the mushroom cultivation section for some good ideas.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: rouge mycologist]
    #9052602 - 10/09/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

As said above, open up some holes, but it's probably too late. The 'burnt areas' you're seeing are likely bacterial contamination.

Don't move on to other methods until you've conquered the pf tek, which is the easiest of all, provided you follow directions.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinerouge mycologist
Stranger

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9052692 - 10/09/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
As said above, open up some holes, but it's probably too late. The 'burnt areas' you're seeing are likely bacterial contamination.

Don't move on to other methods until you've conquered the pf tek, which is the easiest of all, provided you follow directions.
RR

Sorry, I meant to say that, but I think faster than I type.  I was just giving him some recommendations for the future.

OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

#9065035 - 10/11/08 10:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think that the black is contam simply because it was like that as soon as i got done sterilizing even before I inoculated.  I think some of the mix was literally "cooked". gas stoves SUCK for the boiling water method. I do not have nor can I afford a PC right now.  I guess I will take the lids of my jars, and poke some holes through the foil and cross my fingers.

--------------------

Edited by Aquilus (10/11/08 10:08 PM)

OfflineGogol
Wait, what?
Male

#9065049 - 10/11/08 10:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Aquilus said:
I don't think that the black is contam simply because it was like that as soon as i got done sterilizing even before I inoculated.  I think some of the mix was literally "cooked". gas stoves SUCK for the boiling water method. I do not have nor can I afford a PC right now.  I guess I will take the lids of my jars, and poke some holes through the foil and cross my fingers.

You can get a great pressure cooker for less than 30 dollars.  Presto sells a six quart model in many stores that is extremely sturdy and works very well.  You can only sterilize six jars at a time in the Presto model, but if you're just growing for personal use it's not a big deal.  Also, try searching on Craigslist; I'm sure you'll be able to find other pressure cookers for less than $30.

Offlineaguy
Just a guy

Loc: 45 minutes south
Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: Gogol]
    #9065214 - 10/11/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by aguy (03/27/09 01:23 AM)

Offlinemuddypotter
duke o fearl
Male User Gallery

Loc: shit land Flag
Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: aguy]
    #9065724 - 10/12/08 05:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yes I use the presto pc from walmart it holds 5 half pint jars or 4 pint jars for those on a tight budget u can beat it

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9065740 - 10/12/08 06:06 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

rouge mycologist said:
Personally I think the pf tek version sucks.  I've tried it several times and had no success.  To many problems with humidity controll in the friuting stage.  I would suggest grian, preferably rye.  Look for a whole foods store in you area they should carry rye grian/berries.  If you can't find one here's a link to a good web site that carries it. http://www.homegrownharvest.com/rye.html

And here's a good tek for rye. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4576865#Post4576865
Good luck, and check out the mushroom cultivation section for some good ideas.

Casings despite what alot of people think, perform well in high humidity. they are just more tolerent of swings in humidity. If your humidity is low your still going to have to mist your casing layer regularly to keep it moist.

You cant have too much humidity, even with casings.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9072623 - 10/13/08 07:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, RogerRabbit was right, I ended up losing half my jars to fucking bacteria :pottymouth: (I could have sworn they where "burnt" like that before I knocked them up)but I still have 12 so hopefully I still get some shroomies. Some of the jars had hidden contams that I only discovered after poking the holes..it smelled like rotten apple/ass but I figured I might try to see if I could get something to grow out of it anyway. I dumped the contaminated jars in a flower pot covered it with a small amount of dirt, and placed it outside under a window a/c unit that drips. Maybe if the shroom gods smile upon me, I will get something out of that as well. Thanks everyone for your advice.

--------------------

OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

#9088922 - 10/16/08 09:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well for the survivors, the holes seems to be speeding things up. I have 2 jars that I moved to my PMP today :grin: I was a bit confused by the water/perlite ratio but I think I am maintaining a 97-100% humidity (according to the gauge anyway..right now it just says "high") and I guess as long I have air exchange(the 2 holes in the top) and high humidity it should work out OK right? The room temperature stays between 72-83 degrees..not much I can do to change that until it cools off outside for a while.

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9088962 - 10/16/08 09:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

2 holes?? ummm i dont think thats going to be enough for fae... are you going to be fanning it as well?

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineAquilus
The Dark One
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost a month on pf-tek first grow with jars [Re: Nuzzle]
    #9088963 - 10/16/08 09:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thats what it said to do in the tek

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder