Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Loc: new england
grabbed a couple mushrooms while apple-picking
    #9046645 - 10/08/08 08:07 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so this is my first post.  As such, Im gonna try to follow all the rules and regulations and hope I dont get jumped.  I was out picking wild apples near my house the other day when I happened upon a mushroom.  Well call him "Species #1."  My first reaction was "oh, look at this cool mushroom."  Then I picked it and looked at its gills and thought "ugh, thats creepy as hell."  So I tossed it.  Yesterday I decided to do a little research, and decided maybe it wasnt so creepy.  No, I did not eat this mushroom.  But Im wondering if its an edible.

I went back and brought it home, but as a result of my initial disgust, the poor thing spent one very dry, sub-freezing night outside.  That explains its condition.  So without further ado...

Species #1

Habitat:
Pasture.  Northeastern US, 1600 ft.  ~20 ft from fenceline and wooded area.  Growing from mossy patch on sandy, acidic soil

Gills:
yellow/beige pores.  Ill try a new word here, you can confirm my understanding based on the above pictures: Adnexed.

Stem:
4-5 inches long, 3/8" to 1/2" diameter, brown/beige, coarse-textured. solid stem.

Cap:
4" diameter, dark brown.  Before I picked it, the cap had a smooth texture like belt-leather.  Now that its drying, its a bit like one of those mature puffballs.

Spore print color:
I know this is very important, but my mushroom cap is at my house as we speak, sitting on a split sheet of black/white paper.  Ill update this info tomorrow.

Bruising:
no color change on bruising

Other information:
I didnt smell it when I first picked it, but now it smells strong and rich, like the smell of re-hydrating dried shiitake.  The smell makes me hungry.

While retrieving Species #1, I picked up:

Species #2

Habitat:
Pasture.  Northeastern US, 1600 ft.  ~20 ft from fenceline and wooded area.  Growing from mossy patch on sandy, acidic soil

Gills:
white gills.

Stem:
1"-2" long, white, smooth-textured.  Tender, slightly hollowed.  Annulus present.

Cap:
1.5", beige.  Slightly textured with light-colored rough spots. 

Spore print color:
Again, Ill have to update this when the print is done.

Bruising:
no color change on bruising.

Other information:
mild earthy smell, like a white button mushroom.

Well I think Ive got my bases covered... How'd I do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLepuke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Maine
Re: grabbed a couple mushrooms while apple-picking [Re: NubeEnLaMontana]
    #9046840 - 10/08/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My guesses are:
#1 is some kind of Bolete
#2 looks like a small possible amanita muscaria
Wait for the experts :smile:

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Re: grabbed a couple mushrooms while apple-picking [Re: Lepuke]
    #9046904 - 10/08/08 09:58 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

That's what I was thinking on #1.  Possibly a birch bolete (leccinum scabrum)?

I'm totally new to this hobby, and I've been spending a lot of time reading here at the shroomery lately.  I figured I'd better jump in and start interacting before the snow falls and I have to get back to my other hobby: shoving endless piles of wood in the stove to keep my girlfriend warm.

OfflineDerrick42084
Dead Head
Male

#9047663 - 10/08/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well that second amanita could have been a muscaria, but you didnt pluck it completely from the ground, so noone is going to be able to tell you what it is

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Re: grabbed a couple mushrooms while apple-picking [Re: Derrick42084]
    #9047694 - 10/08/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Derrick42084 said:
well that second amanita could have been a muscaria, but you didnt pluck it completely from the ground, so noone is going to be able to tell you what it is

could you elaborate?

How would I make sure I've plucked it completely from the ground, and how does that prevent IDing it?

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9047722 - 10/08/08 01:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

boletus and a deadly strain of amanitas.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: grabbed a couple mushrooms while apple-picking [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #9048178 - 10/08/08 02:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

b0red5tiff's got it:
#1 is a boletus indeed, so not l. scabrum.
#2 is an amanita sp., but definitely not a. muscaria, even though we cannot see the base of the stem which is usually necessary to accurately ID amanitas.

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Re: grabbed a couple mushrooms while apple-picking [Re: koraks]
    #9052337 - 10/09/08 07:03 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Cool, thanks guys.

So what about #1 makes it a boletus rather than l. scabrum?  I don't doubt that you're correct, just curious.

I got the idea that it was a leccinum from the ID keys at mushroomexpert.com, but it took a few guesses to get there, given my limited experience and vocabulary (mushroom vocab, not english).  Actually I'm gonna head back over there and see if I end up with a different ID today.  Maybe I've learned something overnight.

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

#9052361 - 10/09/08 07:16 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Oops, almost forgot, although it comes a little late to be useful:

Species #1

Spore Print: reddish brown (assuming this was actually dropped spores and not decaying pore matter stuck to the paper)

Species #2

Spore Print: white

I'm still ending up at Leccinum (species #1) with the ID key at mushroomexpert.  Am I correctly classifying the texture of the stem as scabers?

Nube

Invisiblekoraks
    #9053455 - 10/09/08 12:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The appearance of the stem, mainly. Leccinums tend to have lighter stems with dark flakes/specks on them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract