Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS
    #9045148 - 10/07/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sure my weed abuse over the last year has helped with this but I sometimes feel like I think too much.

I have a hard time getting really lost in the moment unless I'm doing something really engaging like seeing radiohead live, playing an insane video game on hdtv, having sex, or best of all jamming with a friend! 

But in general I feel very all over the place with my thoughts. A good example of what I'm trying to say is: I can be by a meal where everyone is laughing and talking about things and when I'm there I'll feel like I am watching a movie or something and everything is fake. 

When I am not smoking weed (which I haven't been lately) I find it easier to get lost in the moment but at the same time I still feel like everything is kinda fake.  Another example of what I mean is: If I want to have a good conversation or be funny , I can think in my head to do that and it will work but again it makes me wonder if people are socially conditioned to act the way they do.

another example: I sometimes notice people that seem like they are faking who they are by the way they act and trying to get attention and it makes me wish people like that would be more honest with themselves.............

One thing I should add is that ever since I've done LSD a few months ago it really has made me question society's standards and ways of doing things on a deeper level, but even before tripping I have always been a somewhat introspective person, when I was high school (alot of years ago) I got shit from people because I didn't listen to the mainstream music that everyone listens to and watch crappy teen movies so I can be cool and fit in.

I also find my mind going back and forth sometimes between being a social person and over thinking things.

Is being so introspective healthy and would this be considered anti social thinking?  Another thing I have been wondering is if my way of thinking is a sign of depression, depersonalization or simply the reality of life?

*for the record I have a good amount of friends and am not a hateful person in the slightest, I am just very wary of the way people are conditioned and wish more people were in touch with themselves

THANKS FOR READING AND ANY ADVICE YOU HAVE TO OFFER!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #9045200 - 10/07/08 09:49 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I wish I had some advice to offer you, but I'm pretty much the same way, especially with noticing when others are acting out to get attention.

If you really want to feel alive, call them out on it and explain to them why they suck.

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9045261 - 10/07/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thinking too much definitely caused a lot of problems for me.  The mind has a tendency, if unchecked, to run its mouth off with all kinds of comments, judgments and worries.    Especially when I smoked a lot of weed, my mind would constantly be scanning, evaluating, judging everything and everybody around me, before I got a handle of it.  These excess thoughts ended up giving me a lot of troublesome (and outright WRONG) prejudices and pigheaded opinions that made me less aware and (unbeknownst to me at the time) less likeable as a person. 

In my opinion the less you think, the clearer and more accurate your thoughts will be.  To think less you have to get into the habit of placing your attention on what is happening around you: that means what you are sensing with your five senses.  When you are doing this, you are not thinking.  Can you see and hear people and things without judging or mentally commenting on them?  If you don`t put your attention on what you are actually sensing, your attention will automatically be commandeered by your thoughts about what you sense.  You miss the sensory richness of the moment and get lost in your opinions about it.  Meditation is so important for seeing what your thoughts are up to and how they shape what you experience.

The `fakeness` that you experience is just a value judgment your mind is placing on what you perceive.  Constant evaluation of everything is a tough habit that IME leads to elitism and alienation and a host of other social problems.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS [Re: Irieforester]
    #9045290 - 10/07/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

^^^ what he said!  i get that weird ass feeling alot. like.. you think to deep about something that has to do with life n suddenly u get that feeling like everything is fake. its strong too.. i dont believe in a reality really from all the things i think about.. it sux not being able to not think for alittle bit.. i wish it would happen, just to calm the mind..

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #9045485 - 10/07/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. Lots of introspective people are very thoughtful and considerate of others. Studies have also shown that bullying in schools is mostly done by the outgoing, extroverted, popular people rather than the stereotypical maladjusted loners. But its all about balance, if you think your thoughts have become obsessive or harmful to you then you need to tone it down a bit. But i think its equally dangerous to go in the other direction and become entirely extroverted and to not give much thought to your actions.

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS [Re: DimensionX]
    #9045694 - 10/07/08 11:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

all good answers. 

Something I get when I am smoking alot of weed is that I don't trust people for shit and feel like I can see thru people unless I'm with close friends. Also I sometimes get into smily mode if I start socializing in a happy way, like if someone I am talking to is being very smily it can kind of catch on to me, altho I am working on not doing that.

But when I have suspicions on anyone or don't know some one too well it can make me really weird or akward around them.

I'm not really good at calling people out so telling them they suck wouldn't be the key altho it might be a good idea, but truthfully when I was younger I used to lots of stupid shit to get attention so I kind of understand it, but at a certain point you gotta grow the fuck up!!

I see how this way of viewing everything can lead to elitism and I do allow myself to get caught up in the moment sometimes but it isn't easy, and I can't help but notice alot of ridiculous trends in society, but maybe it is better to accept it?

What would be some good meditation techniques?  I have always thought about meditation and now that I am not smoking weed every night I think it would be an amazing thing to take up.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS [Re: skatealex2]
    #9046625 - 10/08/08 07:56 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skatealex2 said:

I see how this way of viewing everything can lead to elitism and I do allow myself to get caught up in the moment sometimes but it isn't easy, and I can't help but notice alot of ridiculous trends in society, but maybe it is better to accept it?

For sure.  Judgments divide people, causing disillusionment and fear.  I like to think of all of us as being more or less the same.  All people want the same two things: to fulfill their desires and to avoid suffering.  We all have different ways of doing it, for some it means following trends, for others it means being aggressive, for others still it means showing off.  Forgive them for doing their `insecure human` thing, because you do it too, just in your own way.

Quote:

What would be some good meditation techniques?  I have always thought about meditation and now that I am not smoking weed every night I think it would be an amazing thing to take up.

Try Mindfulness in plain english

But more important than formal meditation is to always be aware of when you are passing judgment.  When you see somebody, ask yourself if you are really seeing them, or just seeing your thoughts about them.  Build a habit out of that and see what happens.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Edited by WhiskeyClone (10/08/08 02:45 PM)

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9047255 - 10/08/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds to me like you are just growing up and moving through transition phases of conditioning and becoming...  You are beginning to realize the game that's going on here.

I went through that, and you sort of come to accept a lot of these things.  You begin to act more, because it is a type of language that will help people recognize what type of person you really are, while remaining ambiguous and socially flexible.  If everybody knows we're acting, and we're good at it, we all know  that in the end we can still work around each other and not feel stuck.  You have to be able to flow in and out of situations with other people, and we need to have different fronts if we want to be successful with whatever it is we want to do, so long as there are people around.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Is my way of thinking healthy? INTROSPECTIVENESS [Re: Ginseng1]
    #9049857 - 10/08/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ginseng1 said:
Sounds to me like you are just growing up and moving through transition phases of conditioning and becoming...  You are beginning to realize the game that's going on here.

I went through that, and you sort of come to accept a lot of these things.  You begin to act more, because it is a type of language that will help people recognize what type of person you really are, while remaining ambiguous and socially flexible.  If everybody knows we're acting, and we're good at it, we all know  that in the end we can still work around each other and not feel stuck.  You have to be able to flow in and out of situations with other people, and we need to have different fronts if we want to be successful with whatever it is we want to do, so long as there are people around.

True....people will like you more if they know who you are - and if you put yourself out there they will know who you are.

I disagree with the idea of putting on a "front" to achieve what we want. It can be true to an outside observer, but has a bad rap. I've just learned when to let certain parts of my personality out and when not to. I'm not acting a way I normally wouldn't...I might limit my overall character and accentuate certain parts that I know that person will like. Most of time I try and take the opportunity to act as free as I want to, though.

To Anon: Don't believe everything that your mind makes up. When you pass a judgment, investigate it. Is it really true? Even if it is, is it worth tacking them on the board like that? Will it help you deal with them more effectively or are you really doing it because you don't know how to deal with them? This then gets to responsibility of yourself. Are you being defensive? Jealous? Closed minded? Maybe your both right.

When I see people that are "trying" or if my mind tries to say they're "fake" lately I am more impressed that they are actually trying that hard. It makes me happy to see that people will go to great lengths to make others happy, even if they are unhappy themselves. Instead of giving these people one more enemy to defend against, give them the benefit of the doubt. Make them feel at ease and you might be the first they reveal their true identity to!:thumbup::heart:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom