Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
"Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape
    #9041098 - 10/07/08 08:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_10655930

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the final story in a three-part series that started Sunday.

Few non-drug users have the visceral understanding of the impact and dangers of the "monster" called meth, as do Carl Sturdy and Mike Ramsey.

Sturdy is the commander of the Butte Inter-Agency Narcotics Task Force, and has been in drug enforcement for two decades.

Ramsey is Butte County's district attorney and has been a local prosecutor for 30 years.

"Meth is a very, very strong central nervous system stimulant," according to Sturdy.

Users can smoke it, take it orally, or inject it.

Smoking and injections are the main methods because of the rapid, intense high they create.

"They feel good. They feel strong. They feel they can conquer the world. It is a real insidious thing," said Sturdy.

Ramsey refers to the drug as the "meth monster."

He said when "it gets its claws in someone, and those are fairly deep claws," escaping the addiction is profoundly difficult.

"They continue to run after that same high. They burn out their pleasure centers. They are incapable of any pleasure, any joy, without the drug," said Ramsey.

Recent animal studies suggest recreational use of meth — also known as crank or speed — actually alters parts of the brain on the cellular level.

Meth does more than addict its users. It consumes them.

Sturdy said meth users rapidly cease to function in society.

He explained he has known heroin addicts who could maintain jobs
and apparently normal lives, but, "I have never seen a functional meth addict. It is really kind of rare."

Users usually come to law enforcement's attention not through their drug use per se, but by what they do to get the meth.

Sturdy said meth users as a class are "heavily involved in thefts and burglaries and vehicle thefts."

Usually they get involved with authorities because they've "been caught stealing stuff to feed their addiction."

For a woman, access to meth is often a matter of trading her flesh for the chemicals she wants, but even among users there is sensitivity about such transactions.

"They will adamantly deny giving themselves up for drugs. They don't want to be labeled a crank whore," said Sturdy.

For law enforcement, one of the biggest challenges is that unlike cocaine, heroin and marijuana — which require land to growth the plants from which the drug is derived — meth is a synthetic product that can be "cooked" in somebody's kitchen.

"Making crank is simple. If you can follow a recipe to make a cake, you can make crank," said Sturdy.

He said a collection of incompetent cookers are continually trying to set up "Beavis and Butthead labs."

While the process of producing crank may be as straightforward as a cake recipe, the ingredients involved are less benign than flour, sugar and eggs. A recipe available on the Internet includes red phosphorus, ether, hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide and methanol, among other items.

While the drug is incredibly powerful, addiction to meth is not necessarily a life sentence.

"Ten years ago I would have said there is no hope," said Ramsey, but now, with better treatment programs, "there is hope."

The most essential step in breaking free of meth is desire.

"They have to have some kind of an epiphany, or some kind of a terminal event" that makes remaining in the culture too terrible to contemplate, said Sturdy. "They have to hit rock bottom, whatever rock bottom for that person is."

For a woman, according to the BINTF chief, a first pregnancy can be the necessary epiphany.

A combination of two steps can indicate how serious the addict is about quitting.

The person has to move away, said Sturdy. "They have to cut all their ties (to the meth culture)."

Ramsey said another step is a willingness to tell the authorities about their drug connections, but most people don't want to do that.

Sturdy said the meth addict who is not quite committed to change is unwilling to move far away because they think, "Who am I going to hook up with if I have a bad day?"

Ramsey said part of the challenge to escaping the meth culture is to some degree a fear of loneliness.

"That's your family, that's your world, and you don't want to violate the world," he said.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #9041288 - 10/07/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i was just reading this on their site, i close the window, log on here, and boom what do u know its in here too

:lol:

OfflineConaman12
Male

Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9042396 - 10/07/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

and they give this stuff to kids

Offlinepeterluber

Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: Conaman12]
    #9042898 - 10/07/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I hate this bullshit propaganda :mad2:. I do not like meth, and sure, tons of irresponsible people use it, but it's not an evil drug. Responsible amphetamine use can be and has been responsible for some really productive things. "No functioning meth users" That's bullshit, the people who keep it under control are especially productive.

I agree, it is not a good thing for every piece of white trash to be tweeking out and stealing shit, but these people are lying about it.

InvisibleKrishnaDreamer
I bleed nicotine...
Male User Gallery

Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: peterluber]
    #9043057 - 10/07/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i agree ^^

never seen a functional meth user? go to a construction site...

cross country truckers?

late night pizza delivery man?

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: KrishnaDreamer]
    #9043755 - 10/07/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

there is no such thing as 'responsible' use of an addictive drug. Even nicotine isnt possible to use responsibly on  a regular basis. Im not saying just because you try meth you are destined to be worthless, but if you feel like you cant have fun without a drug, your life is sad and pathetic. How can you guys say its 'propaganda?' The answers are right there in front of your nose, just like pot. Pot is obviously and logically a safe drug, meth is an obviously and logically unsafe drug. Its just a fact

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

OfflineOjom
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: bloodsheen]
    #9044108 - 10/07/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bloodsheen said:
there is no such thing as 'responsible' use of an addictive drug. Even nicotine isnt possible to use responsibly on  a regular basis. 

Speak for yourself. Some people do have self-control.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: bloodsheen]
    #9044290 - 10/07/08 07:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

there is no such thing as 'responsible' use of an addictive drug.

Its just not possible to use alcohol or coffee responsibly? 

What about when the doctor prescribes you methamphetamine (desoxyn), is that always irresponsible because some people have problems with it?

No responsible use of opiate pain medication?

Offlinepeterluber

#9044579 - 10/07/08 08:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bloodsheen said:
there is no such thing as 'responsible' use of an addictive drug.

?????? How do I even reply to that? Were you born yesterday?

Offlinesomeone not me
lives in a van down by the river
Male

Loc: Zone 8
Re: "Meth monster" digs in, can be virtually impossible to escape [Re: peterluber]
    #9044689 - 10/07/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Bloodsheen,

I'm sorry, but you're full of shit. I am a functional user of whatever drug strikes my fancy at the moment. I don't discriminate. Meth, coke, heroin, oxy, benzos, or shrooms, I love em all, but - let me say that again - BUT i use responsibly; and have for over a decade. I have an excellent relationship with my family and will soon be married to an incredibly beautiful and successful girl. I am well educated - formally and informally - and try to do everything I can to make the world a better place. I also love doing a huge fucking hotrail. Sometimes, I'll even smoke a fucking gram of good crystal meth for breakfast. So, fuck off and let the grown-ups talk.

Regards,
xxxxxx

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag