Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackbantam
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NE OH
Sunday hunt in PA
    #8997899 - 09/28/08 12:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Im not so sure of many mushrooms yet other than morels and horn of plenty, but I went out today to see what I could find.  I have an ID book, The field guide to the wild mushrooms of PA, but couldnt find any of our finds in it. If you guys need anymore information on a certain one let me know I picked most of them and can take more pictures.

Does anything look edible?

Edited by blackbantam (09/28/08 12:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
Re: Sunday hunt in PA [Re: blackbantam]
    #8997974 - 09/28/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah. The ones in #6 are edible.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Sunday hunt in PA [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #8998013 - 09/28/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The ones in #6 are edible.

Although not in that stage of decomposition :wink: They are a coprinus species, but it's hard to make out which one precisely at this point. Are they the same as the previous pic? In that case they're probably c. picaceus. I'm unsure if these contain coprine, which causes a toxic reaction in the human body if alcohol is consumed directly prior to, or in the days following ingestion of the mushroom.

#2 and #3 are a beautiful species of amanita, although I'm not sure which.

#4 is a puffball; a lycoperdon species by the looks of it. Puffballs are edible if, and as long as, the flesh is white all the way through.

#8 and #9 are a suillus species; many of those are edible, but some are extremely bitter. They're considered best (or at least, acceptable) if the slimy pellicle is removed prior to cooking.

#10 could be a clitocybe (?)

#11 most resembles a lactarius species at first glance, but I'd like to see the underside of the cap.

The puffballs are your safest bet if you're after edibles. None of your mushrooms are really considered choice edibles, although in the best case scenario 3 of them are ok to eat.

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

Re: Sunday hunt in PA [Re: koraks]
    #8998048 - 09/28/08 01:20 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

#6 are inky caps, yeah?

Don't drink alcohol within a week of eating them, or you'll get sick. Otherwise they're completely edible.

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Sunday hunt in PA [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #8998069 - 09/28/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

2 - 3) Amanita, maybe flavoconia
8 - 9) Gyrodon merulioides
10) Clitocybe

Offlineblackbantam
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NE OH
Re: Sunday hunt in PA [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8999216 - 09/28/08 06:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for all the help!  I don't think I'm going to attempt to eat any of these anyways.  But does anyone have any idea about #7 I thought these were pretty interesting.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Sunday hunt in PA [Re: blackbantam]
    #9000011 - 09/28/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

#7 looks like it's an aborted entoloma. It's edible, pretty good.
The name is a misnomer, it was thought that honey mushrooms attack an entoloma causing this deformation, so they were called aborted entoloma, the thinking now is that the honey mushroom is the one that is deformed by the entoloma. Sometimes you can find one or both of the mushrooms that cause this deformed blob growing near it. A key indentifing feature to these blobs is if you cut them open there are redish veins running through them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures