Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBababooey
Stranger
What am I doing wrong?
    #8995232 - 09/27/08 06:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Heres something I cant understand. I started growing YEARS ago and have had countless grows for experience. I recently started again after about 2 years off. What I cant figure out is the amount of contamination Im getting. Ive only got about a 20% success rate. Out of the 5 dozen jars (all are PF tek) Ive mixed up, I have a total of 10 cakes. I have NEVER had a problem with green mold, yet my last batch is totally contaminated. Other times they just dont grow but have a horrible smell. I almost want to say Ive got a bad batch of spores. Looking at the last batch of jars just now, all the green mold is in the injection sites where the water was squirted. Im not going to call out the spore supplier because they are making it right. Im more pissed off at the time wasted prepping the jars just to have them contaminate.

Back when I was young and stupid I had a 80+ dozen jar grow that went on for about a year. I would only pick at most 5 or 6 contaminated jars out of the whole batch! This was also doing all the prep stoned out of my mind!

Like I said, I cant figure out where Im going wrong. When the jars are finished, they are washed, rings wiped out, new tape, and pressure cooked before they get any mix put in. After theyre full, I wipe rim to get any excess off. Theyre pressure cooked for 45min. Before I inject, I spray my room down with lysol, wash hands, and flame the needle until its red hot. Is it me or the syringes? Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What am I doing wrong? [Re: Bababooey]
    #8995263 - 09/27/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds to me that you may have gotten a bad syringe . It happens . Contact the supplier and I'm sure they'll take care of it .

When you get another spore syringe , I'd recommend making a LC from it . Test that out on a couple jars and if all goes well , use your LC . It will greatly decrease your colonization times on jars . I've inoculated pf cakes with LC and had fruits in 16 days from inoculation:thumbup:

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinefishfarmin
Predator Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: What am I doing wrong? [Re: HippieChick]
    #8995282 - 09/27/08 06:52 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i agree it is most likely the syringe.:(

--------------------
"Government exist to protect us from each other.Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."    Ronald Reagan

"It is error alone which needs the support of government.Truth can stand by itself."Thomas Jefferson

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."Abraham Lincoln

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#8995285 - 09/27/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Are you making the syringes yourself from prints or just buying pre-made syringes? Sounds like it could indeed be a spore problem to me, unless your not sterilizing your jars well enough. What are you using? PF Tek?

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
    #8995289 - 09/27/08 06:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think the problem is that you never moved on to bulk and pasteurisation, usually you try pf then that teaches you how mushrooms grow and what to look for and so on, then you move on to the next step which is actually less time consuming, faster results and allot more fruit. 

If its only at the inoculation points I would either believe its the syringe or you technique and un sterile procedures also It could be the fact that your only doing the jars for 45 minutes that's really not long enough

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: What am I doing wrong? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8995325 - 09/27/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

It's gotta be the syringe solution.  Even if you only pc'd 45 minutes that's not going to give you an 80% contam rate.... If you flame the needle before every jar that's good too.

--------------------

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

Re: What am I doing wrong? [Re: ray40cal]
    #8995493 - 09/27/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Could it be that you just weren't stoned out of your mind this time when you prepped the jars?  maybe that's the prob.

--------------------

OfflineBababooey
Stranger
Re: What am I doing wrong? [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #8995746 - 09/27/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is PF tek and the syringes were ordered. Like I said, I never had a contam problem before. I'm OCD with cleaning things so the house is spotless. Mostly I'm just frustrated after having no problems before and all of a sudden everything is wrong.

I'm experimenting with LC and bulk substrates. I did 3 LC jars and had 2 come out fine and the other grew black. My first two attempts at WBS had massive contam problems until I found out they were too wet. I did one jar and dried the seed out then PC'ed it and it's coming along nicely. If this works I'll be doing bulk 100%. Believe me, after having mixed 80 dozen jars in a day countless times, I've paid my dues with PF!

Considering my "state" right now, maybe I should mix some jars.... :stoned:

Edited by Bababooey (09/27/08 08:30 PM)

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
    #8995774 - 09/27/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

WBS is a liitle bitch, I prefer Rye grain its cheaper that WBS down here also, just make sure you soak the WBS for 24 hours and up to *36 hours 
*if you use hot water to stop them from sprouting,
simmer them for ten mins with some coffee grounds for some added flavour :wink: or use it in the soak.

The best of luck with your bulk trials :wink:

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: What am I doing wrong? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8997215 - 09/28/08 08:18 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

use a glovebox, while some have great success with cleaning a small room and inoculate there, others it just doesnt work.

make a simple glovebox, you will need one if you want to do g2g or agar.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate