Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenenl
Strangest

Replenishing LC?
    #8994593 - 09/27/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This might be a common practice, but after a quick search I didn't find any info. Anyway, I have a good LC going and what I plan to do is replenish what I take out by making more karo solution to inject after I take some out. Would be something in the range of 100cc exchange.

1. Comments on that idea?

2. If contam is introduced when injecting more solution do you think the contam would affect the LC? Based on a "good" amount of myc in the LC and the injected solution would be PC'd, alcohol wipe and flame needle, etc so if any got it it should be minimal - would the myc kill any contam that snuck in?

Thanks all...

--------------------
hehe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: nenl]
    #8994624 - 09/27/08 04:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

There is to great of a risk at introducing more contamination, which would ruin the LC. Just make multiple jars at a time and stagger their use.

A contaminant can take hold in the new solution you injected to it and live side by side the dormant myc. Once you inoculate it to your growing medium, you are injecting both myc and the contaminant, not good.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8994629 - 09/27/08 04:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Why don't you just use some good LC to start another jar? :shrug:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8994657 - 09/27/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Why don't you just use some good LC to start another jar? :shrug:

Be careful with this. The myc will degrade in quality with each new generation that you start. It's best to have a master culture and only use that to start a second generation culture.

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: SFsorrow]
    #8994661 - 09/27/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

or instead... use that 100cc and introduce it into a new LC.. that way you dont risk contaminating your master lc... and you get more lc in a new jar... just be sure to check it for contams before you use the rest of the master and you should be golden..

OfflineThe Cake Guy
Bad Ass
 User Gallery

Loc: WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE...
Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: R10tGuNn3r]
    #8994673 - 09/27/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Be careful with this. The myc will degrade in quality with each new generation that you start. It's best to have a master culture and only use that to start a second generation culture.

So if you knock up an LC with an LC then it the mycelium will get weaker every time??

--------------------

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: The Cake Guy]
    #8994712 - 09/27/08 05:05 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks all for the input. I'll try this with one jar and simply make new jars to replace others.

--------------------
hehe

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8994884 - 09/27/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yes. If you use each "new" jar of LC to inoculate another.

A "master" is a jar that you use to inoculate others with. That way you are always using second generation, as opposed to very rapid degradation as the generations increase exponentially. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8994956 - 09/27/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:

A "master" is a jar that you use to inoculate others with. That way you are always using second generation, as opposed to very rapid degradation as the generations increase exponentially. :thumbup:

What's the best way to maintain a master jar - that's why I had my original question? I have some good stuff in there that I'd live to keep around.

--------------------
hehe

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

#8994998 - 09/27/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nenl said:
Quote:

BrandNewbie said:

What's the best way to maintain a master jar - that's why I had my original question? I have some good stuff in there that I'd live to keep around.

the best way is to use a master to inoculate second generation jars... it doesnt take very much of a master to inoculate a second generation jar.. so always use a second generation to inoculate your substrate.. a master LC should last a while if you are only using it to make a second generation LC when you run out of it.. make sense? also.. making large amount of master culture like a pint.. should give you all you need to keep it throughout its lifespan..

if you run out of the master... take one of the mushrooms that you get from that culture and make a new culture off of that... its a clone so it should have pretty much the same properties..

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8995028 - 09/27/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The Cake Guy said:
Quote:

So if you knock up an LC with an LC then it the mycelium will get weaker every time??

You should always go back to spores every third generation or so.  This should keep your strain from degrading.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8995039 - 09/27/08 06:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

While R10tGuNn3r is absolutely correct, I'm going to answer the possible other meaning of your question, just in case.

Store it on a room temperature shelf. It'll be fine. Refrigerate if you not using it very quickly. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleCultivate

Re: Replenishing LC? *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: george castanza]
    #8995050 - 09/27/08 06:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Cultivate

Reason for deletion: .

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: Cultivate]
    #8995128 - 09/27/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

someone correct me if im wrong but using the word generation when refering to mycelium transfer is incorrect like expanding via g2g: the mycelium is still the same mycelium or generation. generation is from spore to fruit to spore. are we confusing cell division with generations?

--------------------
grind

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: Cultivate]
    #8995152 - 09/27/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

psillycake said:
Just curious........what are signs that a strain has "degraded"?

Less fruit, cracked caps, no fruit...  Strain not as good as it was (degraded)

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: george castanza]
    #8995180 - 09/27/08 06:36 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

psillycake said:

wouldnt a sign be slow colonization? and cracked caps can point to low humidity right?

--------------------
grind

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: seven]
    #8995219 - 09/27/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

seven said:
someone correct me if im wrong but using the word generation when refering to mycelium transfer is incorrect like expanding via g2g: the mycelium is still the same mycelium or generation. generation is from spore to fruit to spore. are we confusing cell division with generations?

i was refering to generations of LC... its all the same mycelium from a single spore...

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Replenishing LC? [Re: seven]
    #8995277 - 09/27/08 06:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

seven said:
Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

psillycake said:

wouldnt a sign be slow colonization? and cracked caps can point to low humidity right?

Not always, I had a strain that just always grew cracked caps.  About 95% of all the fruit was cracked caps, I always tried to print the non-cracked ones When a strain degrades it will not nessasarily be slow to colonize, it just will fruit poorly.  There are a lot of people around here that know a lot more about it, but I haven't seen them posting in the cult forum of late.  RR prolly knows more than I.  Any thought RR?

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisibleseven
Male

#8995308 - 09/27/08 06:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i was refering to the use of the word generation in lc or g2g. its not a good term because a second generation means a life cycle is started over ie: the grow completed and those spores are used for the second generation. when using a master lc to make a new lc that isnt a new generation: its only expanding the existing generation. T1 T2 transfer 1 transfer 2? i think im correct.

--------------------
grind

Offlinefishfarmin
Predator Hunter
Male User Gallery

#8995322 - 09/27/08 06:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:strokebeard:keep the info comin',im back into it after quite a few years away and will absorb as much as possible on the subject of lc's.im tired of using just petris and spore syringes everytime.:tripping2:

--------------------
"Government exist to protect us from each other.Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."    Ronald Reagan

"It is error alone which needs the support of government.Truth can stand by itself."Thomas Jefferson

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."Abraham Lincoln

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate